IDPA shooters... what is your handgun?

• Administrator

Just wondering what some of you are using for IDPA. Description, modifications, pictures... post it all. :P

I'm slowly transforming my full-size M&P 40 into a range toy. It's getting a 10-8 rear sight and a HiViz green fiber front sight, and I am thinking about sending it to Dan Burwell for his famous $50 trigger job to smooth it out.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still use the venerable Browning..

I was shooting at 60 feet the other day...(the distance from the deck to the spinner targets)..and knocked them down...being lazy I noticed a tree branch that had fallen down and was sticking up next to the targets...so I commenced to chewing it up.

JULIE came out and wanted to shoot...so I printed out an idpa target and put it up..she couldn't hit it..and made a sad face and told me that she wanted to shoot like I shoot. Now guys...some of you fellas would put me to shame and quick!

so today I went out and bought her the Smith and Wesson 22a-1.

(see my thread "I'm a man of my word" )

THATS what she's going to be using as a range toy!

I used to use my Kimber Eclipse Target before I got rid of it. Then I used my XD .40. Now I use my S&W 1911SC but will be using my new toy that will be ordered next week if it runs right. I'm getting a Sig Revolution XO Black and upgrading the sights on it (thinking about XS Sights 24/7 big dot) and adding a magwell to start off with. I'm getting an excellent deal on this gun and couldn't pass it up.

Guest Phantom6

I have shot matches with an XD-9 Service model. I carry it in a Bianchi mod. #82 holster with a custom horizontal double mag pouch, all hung on a simple standard Safariland garrison belt.

Glock 17 w/ WTS Sevigny Competition sights/ Front sight Fiber optic

OEM 3.5lb connector, Wolf Competition Spring Pak Combo,OEM Extended Mag

Catch Button,OEM Extended Slide Stop and a 0.25 cent polish job !!!!!

Trigger pulling 2lb- 12oz's Sweet and very accurate weapon.

Guest Jonny Ringo

I'm new to this site so this may be screwed up (typing 90 wpm with a processer that handles 60wpm ... I'm not the best speller either)I shoot Glock 40 cal's Model 22 (until I made it a hotrod) and Model 35 with target barrel. I also love the 1911 and for IDPA it works fairly well. 45 leaves bigger holes in the target which are easier to see on repeat shots over top the front sight.Greg Knox www.hgrfirearms.com

Its good to see another guy that likes to shoot targets!

I like shooting, and would love to get into a postal match if I can ever get a membership to either Kettlefoot or Cherokee..(Julez, if you're reading this...ahem...HINT HINT :up:)I'll be participating in them every chance I get!

I started shooting IDPA last summer with a Ruger KP944 (not the kind of gun you want to use to be competitive). I bought an XD-9 service last December and after some time learning how to shoot the thing I am very pleased with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I generally shoot my carry gun in SSP and ESP. Glock 34 with Trijicon sights. Use Blade Tech IWB holster and Blade tech single mag pouches with Tek Lok. If I shoot CDP I use my Wilson 1996A2 (essentially a CQB) with Wilson "Night Eyes" sights.

I shoot matches dressed just like I dress for work. Untucked polo shirt or untucked button down shirt, pistol, spare mag, knife, windlass tourniquet in my back pocket, cell phone. I can't really remember the last time I shot a match with an OWB holster and a vest.I just don't wear that stuff on a daily basis so I'd rather practice with what I DO wear. I'm real big on streamlining practice/training. I don't like to use "match guns" and wear "match clothes" or "school clothes". I shoot what I carry, how I actually carry it.

NOT that there is anything wrong with OWBs and vests, I just choose not to use them since I don't wear them anywhere else.

I have to say I resepect your fortitude... Carrying a 34 IWB? Yuck.

I shoot a 34 with a Vanek trigger, skate-board taped grip, and a set of CGR/Heinie/Dawson sights.

I carry a Kahr CW9. If the CoF is less than 15 rounds, I'll shoot that whenver I can. I need to get a third magazine for it, so I can shoot it more in IDPA. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Glock 19 or a Glock 27, depending on what mood I'm in. I just started shooting in January, and was using a vest all the time (this reflected dow I dressed). Now that it has warmed up, I'm using untucked polos. BTW, I use the same holster all the time--a Bianchi Model 5.