New to shotguns and need some help

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

Like it says i am new to shotguns and have a few MORE questions.

My wife and I and my 13 year old son want to get into Sport shooting such as trap and skeet and maybe even sporting clays. My son and I will also be getting into Turkey hunting this year.

I am just trying to figure out what types of guns we need. Of course I dont want to buy several different, but I am willing to start out with maybe 2 different ones to just get started to make sure we like it.

BUT some of my questions are..

I know the difference between 12 gauge and 20 gauge, BUT whats the difference in how they are used ? What would someone use a 20 gauge for over a 12 gauge or 12 gauge over a 20 gauge.

I know I can get away with a pump for hunting, but could I get away with a pump for any of the clay shooting ?

Is there a big differance in shell size ? Do I really need a 3 1/2 inch ?

And what about barrel lengths ??? Whats good for the different sports and hunting ???

Thanks,

J

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with getting a 26" 12ga semi-auto for both... as long as it has screw-in chokes. Semi-autos soak up more recoil, making shooting more enjoyable. 20ga is a great clay-shooting shell, but may not fill the turkey-hunting niche very well. 3" chamber is fine.

12 Gauge = bigger shell = more powder & more shot = more power & kick.

20 Gauge can do all the things a 12 Gauge does but you might have to work a little harder at it and it doesn't kick as much

The most versatile thing in the world is a 12 gauge pump. IMHO that is what to get. You can hunt and use it for clays. The recoil may be a bit much for the wife and son so a 20 gauge may also be in order.

I use my cheap pump 12 for Sporting Clays and it does just fine.

Good advise so far. I would recommed a semi auto 12 gauge since more than one person is going to be using the firearm. Personally, I perfer the Beretta semi automatics. I currently own two and have owned three. The Model 390 or 391 is an excellent firearm and recoil is extremely managable with 2 3/4" and 3" shells.

I do not believe that you need a 3.5" shell for turkey, duck or goose hunting. That being said, I own a Beretta Xtrema that handles the 3.5" shell very well. With a Rhino choke, it is deadly on turkey out to 60 yards. However, you can do just a well with a 3" shell and a Rhino choke.

For an all around shotgun, its hard to beat the Beretta 3901, I believe that is the model, available from Walmart. It has synthetic stocks and comes with 3 screw in chokes, IC, M & F. It handles 3" shells and will cover your hunting needs from doves to turkey. These shotguns are the "inexpensive" versions of the older Model 390's and the newer 391's. I believe that you will find it very capable on the skeet, trap or sporting clays range.

Check your local gun shops for pre owned Beretta's or evey the trap and skeet ranges. Sometimes people advertise on the bulletin boards at the range. Otherwise, head to Wally world and pick one up to see how it fits.

As for barrel length, its a personal choice. I perfer short barrels and the shorter the better, for me. A good compromise is a 28" barrel. It tends to "fit" everyone's need and right now, that is the most common length in my stable.

Pumps are fine and I owned a Benelli Nova for a few years that shot everthing. Recoil with 3" shells can be a problem for slightly built persons and the recoil on the 3.5" shells is down right brutal. I am 6'5" and 250 + pounds and the 3.5" recoil rattled my teeth!

But, what a great problem you have. Deciding which shotgun or shotguns to buy! I should be so lucky, again.

Guest m14man

check out the semi-automattics in these three brands browning/winchester(same gun),benellis,and berettas any of these would be great. i prefer brownings and i use 28 inch barrell for sport and 26 for hunting.

I own a Remington 870 super express magnum 12 gauge chambered up to 3 1/2 inch. I use a kicks choke for turkey and a modified choke (one of which is specific for shooting clay) for clay/skeet. I have been turkey hunting almost all of my life and i do recommend 3 or 3 1/2 inch, I prefer 3 1/2 inch #5 shot, but different guns/choke combos work different than others. Just have to pattern with different ammo.In the future sometime soon I will be getting me another 10 gauge 3 1/2 inch chambered for turkey hunting and no it is not overkill, been shooting a 10 gauge at turkeys for a long time, but like a dumb ass I sold it. Good luck!!!

Edited by Hunting101
Guest gcrookston

Generally speaking, an over-under or side by side is socially acceptable for sporting clays. It is unfashionable to be throughing hulls around.

That being said, I'm not one to go with the norm. Although I shot clays alot with a Berretta 682 O/U, most recently I've been found perterbing the folks on the stand with a Benelli M1S90 Montefeltro.

When I dove or quail hunt, I use my 20 guage Winchester