What is your 308 168g SMK Long Range Accurate Reload?Help

I'm trying to get started in reloading 308 for FNAR 308 and 30-06 for M1 Garand. I would like to use the same powder and same bullet for an accurate MOA reload for both calibers. Most data for 30-06 M1 shows IMR4895 powder, due to fast burn rate. IMR 4895 is in reloading data for 308. Does anyone use IMR 4895 in 308 and how accurate is the ammo? Other 308 reloaders have recommended Varget powder, but if possible I don't want to have to many powders for rifle reloading. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by lshel

I don't know about the FNAR, but I loaded IMR4895 in match loads for an M1A back in ancient times when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. :)

At that time IMR4895 and IMR4064 seemed to be the 2 most often used powders in M1A match loads for civilian shooters.

Going from memory (please, please, please double check with a current reloading manual), the charges for IMR4895 were in the 41-43 grain range (depending on the rifle, brass manufacturer), OAL 2.800". 

• Like 1

i got several 308 & 30-06 loads that use 4895.  i used these loads back in the 80's when i shot rifle matches.  pm me later to remind me to go to the man cave to get the loads.  i used three bullets weights for both cals.

Keep in mind folks. Ishel is wanting to reload for AN M1 GARAND- you can't hot load those rounds unless you want your gas tube to go flying off into the yonder regions along with your bullet.

As I happen to have a garand, I know a remedy to this. if you're going to shoot ANY reloads, I highly reccommend using an adjustable gas plug (can be had from midway usa for about 35.00) so that you can adjust  your gas tube to the load you're shooting.

I hope this is something that helps you Ishel.

• 10 months later...

I went to 41.3 g of IMR4895  with 168g SMKHPBT and Win LR primers ( app.2470 fps) and had .8 MOA at 100 yds with FNAR308 20" barrel. I have changed to S&W M&P10 and get sub MOA at 100 yds with this load in 18" barrel.  I now have chronograph and can check velocity of original load in 18" barrel . I'm wanting to extend range to around 300 yds, should I get muzzle velocity closer to 2600 fps for longer ranges?

I tried upping IMR4895 powder load to increase velocity. I used IMR4895, WLR primers, LC 11 brass, 168g SMKHP bullet, COL 2.80. I shot 3 rds of each load thru chronograph at 12' from muzzle.

Load        AVG. Velocity     Range    primer appearance

41.3g       2494 fps               28              okay

42.3g       2585 fps               40               okay 

43.3g       2682 fps               86               2 out of 3 black protrusion (see photo) okay 2640 fps

44.0g       2691 fps               22               2 out of 3 black protrusion  See Photo) okay 2682 fps

IMR4895433g.jpg

left 2726 fps, center 2682 fps, right 2640 fps

IMR4895440g.jpg

left 2704 fps, center 2688 fps, right 2682 fps

The black protrusion in primers, I assume is high pressure signs. The load data sheet from Hodgdon shows low of 41g for 2447 fps and max of 45.4c for 2758 fps in a 24" barrel, 1;12" twist.

I assume the LC brass being thicker increased the pressure. The 44.0g charge gave somewhat higher velocity with 1/4 the range in velocity, thus more consistent.

I assume with this LC brass I need to keep velocity below 2650 fps.

What are your opinions and have you seen this before?

Edited by lshel
If you are using upper end 308 loads but using 7.62 NATO brass, you will probably get signs of high pressure for the very reason you mentioned. NATO brass has less capacity than commercial 308 brass. Typically I drop a grain off my load when using NATO brass.

Does your load sheet differentiate between 7.62x51 (NATO) and 308 Win?

Yes it says drop off 1.5 g from max with Nato brass, which I did. Their max was 45.4 g, my max load was 44.0g of IMR 4895, but I also got same pressure signs at 43.3g.

I'm going to try a load at 43.0g which should be close to 2650 fps.

Edited by lshel