Sig Sauer p238 vs p938

Guest Am mommas

Guest Am mommas
Ok ladies. I've yet to shoot either of these guns but adore the feel of them. Conceal carry seems a bit harder for the 938 but I can't see much difference. My husband has a friend that will let me shoot the 9 but honestly I feel I'd better conceal carry the 238 on the body. I'm wondering if there are any ladies out there who have shot both that can give me an opinion.

Well, I am a guy, I have both.... 

- they are virtually identical in size and shape.  The grip of the 9mm is slightly bigger, to accomodate the longer bullets in the magazine, but overall, identical.  There is no "real" difference for concealment purposes, you are talking small fractions of an inch difference.  

- the 9 has significantly more recoil.  It is not what I would call harsh, but its noticable and 50-100 rounds in the 938 leave my hand a little stressed / numb/ stuff.  The 380 is exceptionally gentle.  For the same reasons, the 380 is easier to rack the slide (weaker recoil spring).

I would, then, base my opinion entirely off your ability to handle the recoil or rack the slide.  For all other aspects, they are so close that you can consider them to be identical.

Edited by Jonnin

My wife had both of them and she is 5'2" tall.

She likes the 238 (380) with the extended mag and hated the 938 (9MM) even with the extended mag so we bought another 238 and sold the 938 here on TGO.

She uses one of the 238's for range shooting and the other for carry. She carries the additional extended mag and keeps the other in the gun.

She said the 238 is easier to shoot and conceal. 

We shoot every Saturday

Hope this helps

Guest Am mommas
Joesig does your wife carry cocked and locked? And how does she practice shooting. It would be my first time carrying a s/a only. I'm honestly a bit apprehensive about carrying it if its hard to get used to the safety coming off every shot. ( I'm thinking necessary quick draw situations.)

At first she didn't trust the safety so she carried empty chamber with it cocked and locked. After a few weeks of her seeing the safety was working she now carries loaded chamber, cocked and locked. She has it down that all she needs to do is disengage the safety with her thumb and pull the trigger if need be. She would and still does practice at the range disengaging the safety on her practice gun which is another p238 before starting our shooting exercise.

Also she is a better shot then me :)

Edited by joesig
  • Like 1

My wife carried hers cocked & locked but after a few practice sessions she found she kept forgetting the safety.  She gave it a lot of effort after that but never felt she would remember the safety in a situation, and has moved on from this platform.   

The safety only has to come off on the first shot.  You probably knew this but wording above was funky so I said it plain.

I think different people take to the safety or not, and its not easy to say if you are the sort who can learn to draw and disengage smoothly (as part of the draw, you click the safety off, takes practice but its not that hard) or if it will be a problem for you.   Its one of those things you need the gun in hand to really see for yourself, and a number of practice sessions to see if you can do it.  Thankfully, draw practice can be done at home, with an unloaded pistol, away from others at a range (some ranges forbid practice, and even if allowed, some shooters get spooked). 

Guest jessirae

A girl friend of mine just bought the 238 last night (in the tribal pattern with the rosewood grip... it's really pretty). She shot both the 238 and the 938 before making a decision and ultimately preferred the slightly smaller size and gentler recoil of the 238. She loves the smooth trigger of the single action guns (SAO), and has a hard time making the final pull on the double action ones (DAO) (she had a .380 bodyguard that she just couldn't shoot).

I don't think I will be able to handle a safety in an emergency situation, so I'm looking at the Sig P290. It's quite a bit heavier than the 938, but about the same size and is DAO. Anyone have any experience with it? I found one at Guns & Leather, it did seem heavy... I wonder how they shoot. The trigger pull does seem like it could be a little long and heavy. The P290RS (restrike capable) also has a lot of appeal to me.

My wife recently got one of the 238's. It's a beautiful pistol and shoots really well. At 25 yards last week she put almost 50 rounds in the target, I don't think she ever missed. She's a better pistolero than me, but I also fired a few thru it with excellent results, very easy, consistent shooter for a 380.

I had a p290 and I just didn't like the long pull. If the one at G&L is used it maybe the one I traded. Nice gun but not for me
You may want to look at a da/sa. Long pull on first shot then short follow ups. Edited by joesig

My wife has a P238 that we got at Academy for $499.  We got an extra mag and went through several types of ammo to find the one that works best.  She loves it...just got her permit two days ago and she carried it yesterday for the first time (cocked and locked).  Best wishes, B

• 2 weeks later...