TGO member injured in hunting accident

DaveS

I have been asked by my friend and TGO member "Timestepper" to pass along the following  information and have withheld some information at Don's and his families request.

This past Friday afternoon, an animal was attacking his chickens. Don ran out the back door with a .357 to stop the attack on his birds. We're not sure at this point whether he passed out, tripped, had a seziure or what, but Don suffered a very serious gunshot wound.

He was hit in the ankle with the round and it just short of severed his foot from his leg. The flesh was blown away from his ankle and the ankle bones were (as Don put it)" blown into a thousand pieces".

Don had surjery Friday evening after the accident, and two since then. He is currently in surjery again as I type this. He is scheduled again for reconsructive surjery again on Friday. The Orthopedic Surgeon will see him next week. So far, they have been able to save his foot, and we  hope he keeps improving. When I spoke to him earlier today, he seems to be in pretty good spirits although his prognosis is unknown at this time.

Don's physical injuries are severe, but his mental injuries from this is worse, and we need not rub his face in it! Don (Timestepper) is in need of our prayers and well wishes.

I will relay all well wishes to him as they are recieved from the TGO community. He wishes no visitors at this time as he has unannounced surgeries and doesn't want anyone to drive there and maybe not get to see him. After he gets stablized next week he may start seeing visitors.

He will not be on TGO for a bit, as he recovers. I'll keep ya'll posted on his recovery. I talk to Don a couple times a day, so I will relay messages to him for you if need be.

He and his family hope that you all understand the need for privacy at this time.

Dave S

Edited by DaveS
Guest ochretoe

Please give Don my best and hopes for a fast recovery.  I bet I know him, I worked at Norris Dam State Park for a few years and did a lot of living history up there.  Ask him if ye knows Ranger Steve Smith from Norris Dam please.  I was there from 98 to 02.  I was a member of the Marble Springs history group and did lots of programs thru Fort Loudin State Park. I know a few Don's in that area. If he knows me please send me his full name and a place where I can send a card.  Thanks

Please give Don my best and hopes for a fast recovery.  I bet I know him, I worked at Norris Dam State Park for a few years and did a lot of living history up there.  Ask him if ye knows Ranger Steve Smith from Norris Dam please.  I was there from 98 to 02.  I was a member of the Marble Springs history group and did lots of programs thru Fort Loudin State Park. I know a few Don's in that area. If he knows me please send me his full name and a place where I can send a card.  Thanks

Don has done alot of living historys and I believe Fort Loudon is one of them. Don fishes Norris alot!

Dave

Edited by DaveS
Keep swingin' Don. Hang in there and don't give up!

You have to make a full recovery for many reasons but if for no other reason, it's a moral imperative, you gotta find what's responsible for killing your chickens and ultimately led to this unfortunate injury. You gotta track it down and make it pay the ultimate price.

Keep swingin' Don. Hang in there and don't give up!

You have to make a full recovery for many reasons but if for no other reason, it's a moral imperative, you gotta find what's responsible for killing your chickens and ultimately led to this unfortunate injury. You gotta track it down and make it pay the ultimate price.

I truly sense a "revenge" killing here! This is what Don needs...reasons to smile...Thanks Caster! He'll appreciate the humor!

Dave S

At some point in the near future, I hope to hear that he has made a complete recovery.  Also, as serious as this injury is, I am glad that it wasn't worse.

I agree 100%. It could have been much much worse and Ol' Don knows it. We are all hoping for a full recovery. I am forwarding all of this to him via phone and will talk to him tonight or in the morning. His spirits needs lifted badly right now! Thank you for your reply!

McCrary Family

Dave S.

Prayers for your friend here, as well.  After reading ochretoe's post, and your note above about his needing his spirits lifted, the thought went through my mind that we might need to form a "posse" and look for the culprit or culprits that were the root cause of all this trouble.  Then it dawned on me that he probably wants to take care of that little problem his OWN self.  I'm a right smart east of ya'll, but I'd sign on if he wants to go the "posse" route.  'Course, I'd need a seeing-eye dog if anything was needed besides a shotgun ... but I gots one of them, too!

All joking aside, a friend of mine shot himself in the lower leg with a .38 wadcutter many, many years ago.  Scared the crap out of both of us.  He was "practicing" his "fast draw," but had failed to unload his revolver first.  So I understand his spirits being low, and I understand your concern.  Again, thoughts and prayers for both of you and your families.