Our tax money at work

This is crazy. I wonder how this study will improve humankind beyond what is being spent? How is the information on a duck penis going to help us?

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/384949-federal-study-looks-plasticity-duck-penis-length

$384,949 Federal Study Looks at 'Plasticity in Duck Penis Length'

The National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded a $384,949 grant to Yale University for a study on “Sexual Conflict, Social Behavior and the Evolution of Waterfowl Genitalia”, according to the recovery.gov website.

The grant description says,“The project examines how reproductive morphology covaries with season, age, and social environment in a diverse sample of duck species that differ in ecology, territoriality and breeding system."

The grant was made available through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, better known as the stimulus package.

The project has been receiving money from the NSF since 2009 and is slated for funding through July of this year.

“In the last quarter, we have prepared a manuscript for submission on the results of the first two years of experiments on social phenotypic plasticity in duck penis length in Lesser Scaup and Ruddy Duck. Experiments continued on genital social phenotypic plasticity in Mandarin Duck and Laysan Teal,” a 2010 fourth quarter recovery.gov update on the study says.

Many duck penises are cork-screw shaped and some scientists believe this is because of a form of evolution known as "sexual conflict".

NSF spokeswoman Deborah Wing told CNSNews.com the updated title of the study is "Sexual Conflict, Social Behavior and Evolution." Wing says, "The study met the criteria of the NSF panel of scientific peers as part of the grant approval process."

According to the NSF grant abstract the study shows that age, environment and breeding changes can impact the penis length of certain ducks, “Preliminary results of the project, suggest that male competition plays an important role in the evolution of waterfowl reproductive morphology, that male reproductive morphology is plastic depending on age and condition, and between species with different breeding systems.”

"The NSF strives to be good stewards of taxpayers dollars," Wing says, "Basic research often is combined with other research efforts and turns into bigger things."

"Government funded grants for research have assisted in creating the barcode and Google," Wing added.

The NSF grant abstract states, “Broader impacts of the research will be international, national, local, and personal."

Among those having a personal experience with the study are young minorities. “The project will incorporate high school students from under-represented minorities through the Yale University EVOLUTIONISTS program,” the NSF grant page says.

E-mail and phone attempts by CNSNews.com to contact the study’s Principal Research Investigator, Richard Prum, a professor at Yale University, were unreturned.

• Like 1

Among those having a personal experience with the study are young minorities. “The project will incorporate high school students from under-represented minorities through the Yale University EVOLUTIONISTS program,” the NSF grant page says.

This is the entire reason they got the grant....

Can't decide which is worse, a study on a duck penis or why lesbians are more prone to be drunks.

I guess the lesbian study would be since $2.7 million is being wasted rather than $400K. :waiting:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/27m-federal-study-why-do-lesbians-have-higher-risk-hazardous-drinking

Question is ... can a minority lesbian drunkard use a conflicted duck's cork screw penis to open her bottle of wine?!?
Guest nra37922

Throw "minority, illegal, etc..." at any "research" and you'll get a government grant ... (*cough *cough - HANDOUT)

disgusting ....

Did you mean Handjob and not handout?

Can't decide which is worse, a study on a duck penis or why lesbians are more prone to be drunks.

I guess the lesbian study would be since $2.7 million is being wasted rather than $400K. :waiting:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/27m-federal-study-why-do-lesbians-have-higher-risk-hazardous-drinking

I could have done that study. All the chicks I've seen make out during parties were crazy drunk. I don't think many of them had a strong male role model in their life either.... thank you absent fathers. There, I'm on my way to being a millionaire.

I guess the lesbian study would be since $2.7 million is being wasted rather than $400K.  :waiting:

Why are they more prone to be drunks?

Because drunk lesbians are funner than sober lesbians.

True story! :)

• Like 1

To me, and feel free to  disagree with my impressions, it seems that these frivilous studies are being asked for and set up by the cultural and liberal elite who think all should think as they do.

So why spend money to examine something they obviously agree with and condone. Don't they already know the awnsers?

I guess the lesbian study would be since $2.7 million is being wasted rather than $400K.  :waiting:

They also spent 1.5M finding out why 3/4 of lesbians are fat. 

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-spend-15-million-study-why-lesbians-are-fat

Serious, needed research I am sure!

Then they wonder why we have a deficit?

While they're at it they should do a study to see why all the drunk fat lesbians work at Great Clips...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/03/30/Study-Waste-Could-Fund-45000-Years-of-WH-Tours

The NRCC has compiled a “waste list” totaling $42,642,721,597 from its findings. Some of its expenditures include:

• Dancing iPhone robots–$547,430: “Part of a $547,430 grant from the National Science Foundation went to the development of a dancing robot that connects to an iPhone.”
  • Talking urinal cakes–$10,000: “Federal funds were used to purchase 400 anti-drunk driving talking urinal cakes.”
  • YouTube video contest–$106,000: “$106,000 was spent on a YouTube video contest to promote eating fruits and vegetables.”
  • Cupcakes–$2,000,000: “10 cupcake stores received $2 million in taxpayer-funded loans.”
  • “Healthy food” initiative - $32,000,000: “$32 million was spent to increase access to healthy foods in low-income communities with no measurable result.”
  • Robot squirrels–$325,000: “Researchers received part of a grant to construct robotic squirrels to test if they are attacked by rattlesnakes the same way real squirrels are.”

It's university and "think tank"...(....ya gotta wonder what they are thinkin about...) welfare and largesse passed out to like minded buddies.  It's a hulluva deal if ya can get it.  I've got a distant relative who is a PHD etomologist; they make proposals for some strange stuff.  The good news (...and the bad news for us...); is they get paid well for studyin it.

leroy

Guest boatme99

Deb. WING talking about duck peni? You just can't make this stuff up.

Oh, and how's that corkscrew workin' out? Now there's evolution at work!

I got to get me one of those. I bet it would drive the widows wild!