Stippled my M&P last night.

Somehow I finally worked up the nerve to stipple the M&P. I had done this before on a Keltec PF9 so it wasn't my first time but scary nonetheless. I was a little scared that the texture would be really uncomfortable but I think due to the grip insert being softer rubber it's actually a very nice texture after the stippling. I could see it being a little tough on lady hands but hey that's how you build calluses.

photophm.jpg

33059751.jpg

55850462.jpg

Edited by maroonandwhite
  • Like 3

Yeah that was my biggest concern. Not so much on a Glock because they are ugly to me anyways. I think the M&P is a pretty gun though so it was difficult to decide to do it. I am 100% glad I did it though after feeling the more positive purchase it has now. Can't say I will do it to the pro/ core model I have coming soon but for a carry/small grip gun it definitely works.

Taking small breaks it took about an hour and a half overall. If your hand starts aching or shaking I'd stop and rest. Best thing to do is practice on soemthing like a gun case or an old grip or something. Just to get a fell for how long to hold and all that. It's too difficult for me to try and do a symmetrical pattern so I just do the outline first then randomly put dots on it until its filled in.

It looks great, but for the life of me, I do not understand the need. I know I have turned my heels on some Glocks that had this done, no interest by me. Is there a real benefit?

Edited by Runco

I looks great, but for the life of me, I do not understand the need. I know I have turned my heels on some Glocks that had this done, no interest by me. Is there a real benefit?

I had a G22 that was a LEO trade-in that was worn darn near smooth on many parts of the grip. I stippled the grip and it made a huge difference. Many people look at their carry firearms as tools, not investments, so resale and aesthetics are less important than functionality. Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
You did a great job man i have alot of exoerience with stippling and do it and other polymer grip mods as a hobby and i will say your work is right on par with mine and alot of other guys that do it for a living so like i said great work.and it is a very effective mod for anyone wanting it done in the east tn area shoot me a pm and i will give u a good deal and fast turn around or if the op wants to make some cash shoot him one and see if he will do it as i said his mandp looks great

Yours looks really good.

I worked up the courage to stipple my M&P's back strap a few nights ago since replacements are only $3.  I've seen a lot of jacked up stipple jobs, and after trying it out myself, I wonder how so many people could screw it up so badly. 

Once I'm more confident that the M&P is going to stick around long-term, I may stipple the rest of the grip.  For now, grip tape is working pretty well.  

You did a fantastic job!

I'm a Glock guy and, unless it's a Gen4 or RTF model, I require a stipple job on my Glocks.  For those that don't get it, take a 2-day / 1000 round course in 90+ heat...after awhile it's like trying to shoot a wet fish.

I'd love to hear a little more detail on your technique, ie. getting the shallow fuzzy vs the more dimpled versions.

I use a 30W iron with a semi-fine tip. Just a radioshack special. When you look at the above pics you can see that I left alot of small spaces unstippled. I didn't notice this until the pictures really pointed it out. I have since went back and filled it all in. The trick is to not push the iron into the frame. Just let the weight of the iron and the heat melt it. Maybe half a second on each touch. I'll see if I can get some more pics uploaded real quick.

I guess I would say my advice would be to not do this if you want your gun to look good. I personally like the way this one looks and feels now but I hated it on the PF9 I did. Not only the feel but the look as well. If you want function then this is for you but don't go in expecting it to look good. It might but if not it is an expensive mistake,