More Colorado fallout

We all know about Magpul, but that's just the start.

Outdoor Channel programming changes, from Michael Bane:

No More Filming in Colorado

As per my testimony to the Colorado Legislature, effective today all filming sessions for SHOOTING GALLERY, THE BEST DEFENSE, RAPID FIRE, GUN STORIES and special projects for DOWN RANGE Television have been rescheduled and moved out of Colorado.

But that's not all. A few posts prior, Bane was concerned about competitions already under contract, including the Ruger Rimfire Challenge Worlds Championship

Well, Ruger came through:

If you had plans to Ruger Rimfire Challenge Worlds Championship in Colorado before the new gun laws take place… I hope you didn’t book your flights!

While the new laws wouldn’t be in effect at the time of the match, the decision to move it in protest has been made and they are looking for a new venue.  Which has yet to be identified.

Hats off to Ruger! And may Bill rest in peace.

Edited to add: From Ruger schedule page (scroll down):

2013 Ruger Rimfire Challenge World Championship
This match is being rescheduled outside of Colorado.
Check back for date and location.

Match Date: July 19-21 2013
Match Location: Colorado Rifle Club
76099 East 96th Ave
Byers, CO 80103
Match Director: Mark Passamaneck
Registration/Results Website: www.crci.org

Edited by ttocswob
  • Like 4

That's great. When manufacturers and public events people stand against laws like this, it will really, hopefully anyway, cause these legislators to think about actions like this that will impact revenues within the state.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR
It's a great gesture and it slaps those spineless
politicians, but other than that, the spineless
people will have to make the changes.

Politicians know that once it cools off, and it usually does, they won't be held accountable,
and will go back to making more laws for
nothing.

Liberals always follow a set script. why? because marxism is a set script.  There are a finite amount of ways to introduce tyranny into a free nation. the 2nd amendment counters them ALL.
The best way to weaken a country who's citizens own firearms it to limit their arms, limit their firepower so that they can be subdued more easily.  I will not comply with any magazine ban. heck, I won't comply with any registration and I can't wait to do my taxes this year. when they ask me if I have health insurance I'm going to cordially invite them to attempt self impregnation. (yes, I will writht GFY, draw a box next to that and then put a check mark in it.

some things, a fella will abide to get along with others.

Some things he'll put up with to make his wife happy.

Some things, you'll have to kill him over.

• Like 4

and I can't wait to do my taxes this year. when they ask me if I have health insurance I'm going to cordially invite them to attempt self impregnation. (yes, I will writht GFY, draw a box next to that and then put a check mark in it.

That question is not on this year's forms.

that's ok, it's only a matter of time, OS. they can't help themselves. it will be there before long.

Well, you're probably right, as the only way they can really enforce the penalty for not buying insurance is to withhold any tax return money.

Another reason to never loan the government your money interest free for a year. If you're getting a return, you're screwing yourself to begin with.

- OS

• Like 2
Guest RedLights&Sirens

Bill Ruger can kiss my ass.

Not to sound like a total newb here (okay I guess I am) but what did Ruger do to p!&& everyone off? I hear a lot of negative remarks but am not familiar with the history. I know why people hate S&W, at least circa '94 and I can see why a lot of people hate HK (cuz we suck) but whats up with Ruger?

Not to sound like a total newb here (okay I guess I am) but what did Ruger do to p!&& everyone off? I hear a lot of negative remarks but am not familiar with the history. I know why people hate S&W, at least circa '94 and I can see why a lot of people hate HK (cuz we suck) but whats up with Ruger?

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+ruger+letter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=D3I&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=bill+ruger+letter&oq=bill+ruger+letter&gs_l=serp.3..0.28835.41527.0.41646.29.13.11.5.5.0.188.1069.12j1.13.0...0.0...1c.1.7.psy-ab.Jwm06RVKjJo&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.eWU&fp=a4b1ae1098b9eca0&biw=1650&bih=786

- OS

Michael Bane's letter to Colorado State Senator Steve King ...

Subject: OUTDOOR CHANNEL Pulls Productions from Colorado

To: Steve King

Dear Senator King;

I met you yesterday after the so-called "public hearings" on the antigun bills; as I mentioned, I am an Executive Producer for OUTDOOR CHANNEL.

I currently have four series in production, including GUN STORIES, the top show on OC, with several additional series in development. My series focus on guns, hunting, shooting and the outdoors.This morning

I met with my three Producers, and we made the decision that if these antigun bills become law, we will be moving all of our production OUT of Colorado. We have already cancelled a scheduled filming session for late this month. Obviously, part of this is due to our own commitment to the right to keep and bear arms, but it also reflects 3 lawyers' opinions that these laws are so poorly drafted and so designed to trap otherwise legal citizens into a crime (one of our attorneys referred to them as "flypaper laws") that it is simply too dangerous for us to film here.

I can give you chapter and verse on the legal implications if you need, but suffice to say that the first legal opinion was so scary we went out and got two others. Al three attorneys agreed. We are relatively small potatoes in television, but our relocation of production will cost Colorado a little less than a million dollars in 2013.

Secondly, we have proudly promoted Colorado in our productions (and have been moving more and more production into the state); now we will do exactly the opposite.

What does this mean for Colorado?

The community of television producers is a small one. Last week I had lunch with a major network producer who was looking to locate his new reality series in Colorado. That producer is also a shooter, and the new reality series will now be based out of Phoenix. That lunch cost Colorado over a million in economic impact.

Thirdly, according to numbers I received from the National Shooting Sports Foundation (for whom I used to work) yesterday, hunting had an almost $800,000,000 impact on Colorado in 2012, driving as many as 8330 jobs. Next month I will be in Texas meeting with most of the top outdoor/hunting producers, and the Number One agenda item will be Colorado.

Already, hunting organizations and statewide hunting clubs around the country are pulling out of Colorado, and we expect this trend to accelerate rapidly.

The message we will take to our viewers and listeners is that these proposed laws are so dangerous to hunters and any other person, be she a fisherman or a skier who brings a handgun into the state for self-defense, that we cannot recommend hunting, fishing or visiting Colorado.

We reach millions of people, and, quite frankly, we have a credibility that Colorado government officials can no longer match. Colorado Division of Wildlife is already running ads trying to bring more out-of-state hunters to Colorado...in light of the flood of negative publicity about these proposed laws, I can assure you those ads will fail.

We estimate that as many as one-quarter to one-third of out-of-state hunters will desert Colorado in the next 18-24 months, which will quite frankly be a disaster for the hunting industry in Colorado and have a devastating effect on our western and northern communities (certainly citieslike Grand Junction).

This is not a "boycott" in the traditional sense of a centralized, organized operation; rather, it is more of a grassroots decision on where shooters, hunters and other sportsmen are willing to spend their money.

Look at the collapse of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in February. That venerable multimillion dollar trade show chose to ban modern sporting rifles and standard capacity magazines, and within three weeks it collapsed as all vendors and sponsors pulled out.

Colorado is going to pay a huge price for laws that will do nothing. Thank you, sir, for your support.

Best, Michael Bane
OUTDOOR CHANNEL
mbane@outdoorchannel.com

• Like 2

Mr Bane hit it on the head. We the people can make a decision with out having a centralized organization.

My parents live in Colorado still. I was thinking about going to visit this fall and doing some shooting with my dad.

But with these laws I don't know if I will be a criminal when I go back to my home state.

We need to draw a line maybe this is the line.

I am ashamed and embarassed by the idiots that pushed these laws onto the people of Colorado.

Nannystatism at its worst.

Glad he wrote him that letter given the situation, just sorry the situation is there in the first place. I will never have the same first image in my head when I hear the name Colorado. It used to be beautiful country, great hunting, and good people. Now I picture stupid liberals, even though the previous things are still in Colorado.

Well, you're probably right, as the only way they can really enforce the penalty for not buying insurance is to withhold any tax return money.

Another reason to never loan the government your money interest free for a year. If you're getting a return, you're screwing yourself to begin with.

- OS

Amen!