I have been shopping around for a .22 suppressor for my ruger 22/45 lite and had pretty much decided on a silerco sparrow but after watching some tests it looks like the swr Spector Ii might be a better deal. Quiter and less expensive. What say you guys? Anyone have first hand knowledge in both?

I went through a similar process  just a month or so ago.  At the begininning I had my mind set on a Silencerco Sparrow SS.  In the end, I ended up going with a Huntertown Arms Guardian SS.  From everything I read about them, the performance was very similar but the cost is almost half. My most important criteria was having stainless internals so I could clean it in my ultrasonic cleaner.  For almost the exact same price as just the Sparrow I am getting the Huntertown and paid my tax stamp.  The performance is very close from everything I have read and I read everything I could find.  I am waiting for Guns and Leather to get mine in from the manufacturer so it will be a while before I have it in hand, but I was impressed enough with what I found online to also order the Guardian 9mm version.  They had it in stock so I got it and sent it off two weeks ago.  In the end, I didn't decide based on 1 or 2 db difference, but rather cost/db value and ability to clean the baffles.

Good luck with your purchase.

Edited by Hozzie
Join silencer research. Well worth the $30 to save the frustration of buying a crappy can.

It also depends on the weapon. No suppressor is the best on both a rifle and a pistol. If you plan on using a pistol mostly then buy a can that works best with a pistol.

I recommend the Sparrow because it is the easiest to clean. It is not the quietest but it is the best.

You can use wire pulling gel to reduce the noise level even more and it will not hurt it at all.

And finally the Sparrow is SS which is better than aluminum.

The Sparrow has great sound reduction but where it truly excels is ease of cleaning.  Thats an important factor.  As someone that just had to use a vice and some homemade tools to take apart his 22 can, trust me, takedown ability should never be undervalued.  

I agree with all of the above and still bought the Huntertown Guardian SS.  Money wasn't an issue, but in the end the take apart and cleaning capability was there in both, stainless baffles in both, excellent companies and warranties for both, and sound reduction was similar or equal.  I completely agree that you have to buy what makes you comfortable.  Do your research and go with what you think is best.  I don't think you will be disappointed in any of them unless you end up with all three and can compare. For me, the Sparrow wasn't $250 better than the Huntertown, but you may think it is.  Buy one and enjoy it, that's what it's all about. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

And once you hear the sound of a subsonic 22 you will always want to shoot 22's. A supersonic bullet through a can still is loud unless the target is under 15 yards. The only way to get rid of the supersonic crack is to use subsonic ammo. And the easiest way to do that is with 22 subsonics.

A 22 can must be able to be taken apart to clean. If not then the performance will slowly degrade as well as the can getting heavier.

I've only got another month or so hopefully until I get my sparrow. I've been able to test it out though at the range I'm buying it from on my Ruger 22/45 lite as well as my savage btvs I had threaded for it. I've never shot anything else to compare it with but I've heard nothing but good stuff about silencer co as a company and the o-ring system was another plus for me as it allows me to keep my threads clean and the can from loosening as I shoot. The real test for me though will be when I can shoot it outside and really get a feel for how quiet it is. Edited by gnmwilliams

After the can gets dirty they tend to stay tight or at least my Form 1 can does.

To make the can even quieter you can add media to it. I use wire pulling gel and recently started using hand sanitizer. My can is SS so it won't hurt it.

Ambient temperature makes a difference in how loud a can is as well. In the summer a can will be quieter than in the winter. I have some ammo that is very quiet during the summer that cracks during the winter months.

The Sparrow in SS is the best bang for the buck can out there. It isn't the quietest but ease of cleaning more than makes up for it.

After the can gets dirty they tend to stay tight or at least my Form 1 can does.

To make the can even quieter you can add media to it. I use wire pulling gel and recently started using hand sanitizer. My can is SS so it won't hurt it.

Ambient temperature makes a difference in how loud a can is as well. In the summer a can will be quieter than in the winter. I have some ammo that is very quiet during the summer that cracks during the winter months.

The Sparrow in SS is the best bang for the buck can out there. It isn't the quietest but ease of cleaning more than makes up for it.

I thought I kept smelling hand sanitzer yesterday

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

The Sparrow has great sound reduction but where it truly excels is ease of cleaning.  Thats an important factor.  As someone that just had to use a vice and some homemade tools to take apart his 22 can, trust me, takedown ability should never be undervalued.  

What he said.  I've been out of the rimfire can market for awhile now (I already have a few), so I don't know whose can has what, but a monlithic core and an included takedown tool (or at least something that you can use some common tool to take apart) are must haves for a .22 can.... they get really nasty inside. 

DanO

• Like 1

I've been using ultrasound jelly in my 45 can.  Seems to work well, but I wonder if the hand sanitizer lasts longer?  I would think Alchohol would exaporate quicker.  I have heard good things about wire pulling grease.  Is it water based or petroleum?

I've been using ultrasound jelly in my 45 can.  Seems to work well, but I wonder if the hand sanitizer lasts longer?  I would think Alchohol would exaporate quicker.  I have heard good things about wire pulling grease.  Is it water based or petroleum?

Mine says petroleum free and will not propagate combustion.

Which causes me to wonder if it is the same thing as KY Jelly, or ultrasound gel for that matter.

It's a lot cheaper that's for sure. You can get a huge bottle (1/2 gallon?) for around $5 of wire pulling gel. It's sold at Home Depot and probably lowes.