Blackberries

hopefully gonna get turned into jelly or preserves or something tomorrow.

I spent about 3 hours today in the woods picking blackberries. My hands were near all purple when I finished. Dunno how to estimate how much I ended up with. I filled a big tupperware container and two smaller ones.

I am guessing they easily would fill a gallon milk jug. I would have had more but I ate my fair share while picking them.

If I can get back out there next Sunday I can get near again as many as today. Lots of red berries just waiting to ripen.

I saw a lot of wildlife while in the bush. Two box turtles, a few mantis's, and a lot of some kind of beetle. The beetles were my competition for the berries. I must have pissed off a hundred of them things. They very much seemed to enjoy the succulent sweetness of the blackberries. There were a couple of turkeys too. I did not see them but I heard something real big out there. Then I could here a few of them talking to one another. Pretty cool.

I wore a long sleeve denim short as well as jeans and boots. My arms still got scratched up and I was bleeding pretty good from a couple of punctures on my hands.

It will be worth it by tomorrow night. The wife is gonna turn it all into sweet goodness!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got lots of bushes and they bloomed great earlier this year. Then the faucet got turned off and there are very few berries in our area. Second year in a row. Sucks man.

You got the recipe of Mountain Pie? That's primarily what I make with blackberries.

yep, I am down with spicy sausage and jelly. The contrast is awesome.

Never made pie before. But I am not so sure I want to waste these berries on anything other than jelly. I am waiting on our neighbor to hook us up with some peppers. My wife makes awesome pepper jelly too.

I should have added a poll to see whehter people assumed this was about fruit or an electronic gizmo.

Guest shortfri

You got the recipe of Mountain Pie? That's primarily what I make with blackberries.

I would be interested in seeing this. if you would provide please.

I got blessed this spring while turkey hunting and found a field with tame berry bushes growing with the wild ones. the size of the berries are between a nickel and quater on the tame bushes.In several days of picking i've manged to put three gallon in the freezer. And what started out as chiggers ending up as a good dose of poision oak. and have eat blackberry cobbler till i can't.

I would be interested in seeing this. if you would provide please.

Happy to share it. This is one of my favorite deserts. I made one from apples on Friday. I like it plain, but a lot of folks prefer it with a scoop of ice cream on top. It can be reheated, but is best when it first comes out of the oven.

Basically, it's a cobbler without all of the hassle. Simple and delicious. Only trick is getting the dough to cook but not overcook. I always put a spoon or knife into the center. If the batter is still runny, give it another five minutes until it is done. After a time or two, you can tell by thumping on the crust. I'm making it sound like more difficult than it is. But times do vary depending on how much liquid is in the fruit mixture.

Title: Mountain Pie

Categories: Dessert

Yield: 4 Servings

1/3 Butter Or Margarine

1 c Flour

1/2 t Salt

1 c Sugar

1 t Baking Powder

3/4 c Milk

2 c Sweetened Fruit With Juice

[Note: Delicious with either peaches or blackberries. Other fruit

works fine too.]

Preheat oven to 350 degres.

Melt butter in 2 quart baking dish.

In separate bowl, mix flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and milk.

Pour on top of melted butter. DO NOT STIR!

Add sweetened fruit on top of batter. DO NOT STIR!

Recipe will make its own top crust as it cooks.

Cook uncovered 45-60+ minutes. Pie is ready when the top is brown and it had a

firm (not hard) texture.

Note: I use 1/2 cup sugar in peaches and 3/4 cup sugar in blackberries and let it sit for a few minutes to draw out the juice

Thanks for the reminder - I need to head back out to the neighbor's place after work tonight and see if there are any left on the vine. I got about 3/4 gallon last picking, would be nice to pick a few more.

Guest Centennial

I love blackberries! Blackberry jam on a good, hot, buttered biscuit is fine eating. The Mountain Pie recipe sounds good. I copied it to give to my wife. Now, a scoop of Vanilla Bean ice Cream would go great with a bowl of that!

Guest c.a.s.

I'll bet you've never tried the mouth orgasm that is a sausage biscuit with good home-made blackberry jelly.

I'm going to have to see about bringing a jar (well, what's left of it...) to the shoot

+ 1 - I'm with you, Grout.

Sausage on a biscuit ? great. blackberry jelly on a biscuit ? terrific.

Both.......at the same time ? no thanks ! :lol:

Never tried blackberry jelly (or jam) on a sausage biscuit, but get you a sausage biscuit from micky d's or anywhere else and get some grape jelly from them and plaster it on. It makes even micky d's sausage taste edible.

Guest bkelm18

Title: Mountain Pie

Categories: Dessert

Yield: 4 Servings

1/3 Butter Or Margarine

1 c Flour

1/2 t Salt

1 c Sugar

1 t Baking Powder

3/4 c Milk

2 c Sweetened Fruit With Juice

Is that 1/3 stick of butter or marg?

Is that 1/3 stick of butter or marg?

Yep. 1/3 of 1/2 cup. That's........1/6 cup or 1/12 pound or ......errr....never mind. :lol:

It's correct in my database.

I started getting my recipes into a computer readable database years ago, but a lot of programs can only read their own databases. AccuChef (what I use) can read about any recipe database. Import from ASCII is easy too. Unfortunately export is sometimes problematical.

BTW, like a lot of warriors, I love to cook. I'd make someone a great wife. :)