I've had it!!!

Guest Len

I'm done. Through. Finished! Its over! The love-hate relationship between me and Internet Explorer is officially FINISHED!!! :(:):down:

I have had it! :mad: :mad: :mad: The New IE7 is proving quite a disaster on my home PC, so I am ditching it. In favor of???? This is where the fine denizens of this board come in. So, barring entry into the land of the Mac, where do I turn? Any suggestions on the best non-IE browser out there? My requirements are humble and few:

1) It does not crash my system or use up 99% of resources loading a simple web page.

2) It is reasonable secure.

3) It is reasonably fast. I now have DSL Ultra from BellSouth/AT&T, and I find the speed bottleneck is my freakin' browser.

Any thoughts from the PC-literate would be appreciated. Firefox? AOL? Something else?

In advance, I thank you, my PC thanks you, my patience thanks you, my quickly-graying hair thanks you, etc...

-Len

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

Try firefox or opera. There are people that swear by them both.

Personally, I still primarily use IE when in windows, as it is what our primary client uses to access the application I maintain for them, so its what I have to test in :(

www.getfirefox.com - I've been using it for a year and a half exclusively. You'll notice that a lot of things in IE7 were copied from Firefox, but they just work better in Firefox.

Plus, when you install Ad-Block Plus, you don't see ANY ads on ANY website, ever :( - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

But really, those problems you describe don't seem to be strictly IE7 related.. there could be something else going on, such as spyware or a virus. I have IE as do all Windows computers, and when I use it, it works fine. I just don't like it. Try a couple free security scans, too: http://security.symantec.com

Download Windows Defender from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Do you have anti-virus software?

Then again you may just have too many programs running at startup.

www.getfirefox.com - I've been using it for a year and a half exclusively. You'll notice that a lot of things in IE7 were copies from Firefox, but they just work better in Firefox.

Same here. I've been using Firefox for about a year and a half at home and at work. Works well for me.

I ditched Outlook at home and went to Thunderbird for my email program.

I looked at Opera. It's a bit weird. Some people seem to love it though.

I ended up with Firefox and have used it for about three months. I'm happy with it.

You will still need IE on your computer to do Windoze updates.

Actually the best thing I've done is get rid of all Symantec / Norton products. Speed things up about a zillion times.

I recommend the freebie Comodo firewall and Avast! antivirus (also free). I recommend them not because they are totally free, but because they passed all sorts of firewall and virus tests I threw at them that other pay products failed on. Very highly recommended! :(

I might add that Firefox does a good job at importing bookmarks and stuff from IE. It's a painless transition.

Only thing I miss from IE7 is a keyboard shortcut to close all tabs except the current one.

Opera has email too, but I'm still using Eudora. I'll use it until the freebie open source Eudora comes out. My wife uses Thunderbird and likes it.

Guest jackdog

I've used firefox for about 3 yrs, no problems. also use mozilla Thunderbird for my email program. Both are user friendly, and the email program is fantastic for duming spam emails.

Guest dotsun

+1 for firefox and Reefbluecoupe's comments.

Ditch any Norton product with extreme prejudice, or just be fly like me and use no AV or onboard firewall period.

Guest db99wj
len, let me know when you get firefox on there and I'll send you a webpage with detailed instructions on how to tweak it to go faster/do exactly what you want!!!

OPEN SOURCE RULES!!!:rock:

Hook a brutha up!:P

All I have done is fasterfox addon.

Guest db99wj
http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html

my I also submit that you may like NOSCRIPT add on for firefox, as well as forcastfox

look those up on the addon webpage..you'll like em!

Wow, that's a lot of reading!

What is the noscript one?

Is the forcast fox the weather one, I do have that one. It says rain and hight of 61 for tomorrow and Saturday:down:

No script is an addon that allows you to actually SEE which programs are running scripts on your webpage, and either disallow them or allow them to actually run the scripts...in other words..not only no popups..but no spyware, nada can run on the webpage unless YOU allow them!

its actually nice...but for someone who doesn't want that degree of control...it might be a little too much.

rain? well poop! I may be shooting in the rain tomorrow....*sigh*

Guest db99wj
No script is an addon that allows you to actually SEE which programs are running scripts on your webpage, and either disallow them or allow them to actually run the scripts...in other words..not only no popups..but no spyware, nada can run on the webpage unless YOU allow them!

its actually nice...but for someone who doesn't want that degree of control...it might be a little too much.

rain? well poop! I may be shooting in the rain tomorrow....*sigh*

Rain probably won't get to you until Saturday.

Thanks y'all.

I've heard of and used Firefox before, but did not like it. Tried again today and so far I'm liking it and there have been no problems. I'm now coming to you "live" from Firefox 2.0.3.

Also thanks for the info on free security products. I'm using McAfee Security Center currently and I think it is the root of many of my performance issues and generally a pain in the #%&. So, I will try those next.

Appreciate all the help.

I don't care what all those people say, TGO members are a good bunch! :up:

-Len

Guest Glockman

i used mcafee before but now i use avg free almost year now no virus! knock on wood! no drag on computer either. also use comodo firewall works great! just my .02