Best Air Rifle? (Break-barrel?)

I have a Gamo CFX (fixed barrel, underlever) in .177.  It is deadly on small critters like rats.  A few years ago a family of them moved into the woods behind our house and would come under the fence and steal dog food out of the doghouse.  I spent many a weekend morning sitting on my deck taking them out.  They finally moved on!  I also killed a crow at about 30 yards with it.  That amazed me since crows are pretty tough.  I use the Gamo Raptor alloy pellets.  They penetrate very well.

My only complaint with the rifle was with the scope mount (well the scope isn't much either).  The scope kept sliding on the mount.  I finally bought an all metal aftermarket mount and that fixed it.

My only complaint with the rifle was with the scope mount (well the scope isn't much either). The scope kept sliding on the mount. I finally bought an all metal aftermarket mount and that fixed it.

Gamo usually includeds "scope stops" on their rifles, or at least the ones I bought had scope stops on them.

Gamo usually includeds "scope stops" on their rifles, or at least the ones I bought had scope stops on them.

It came with a plastic scope stop with a single set screw.  It slid after a few shots.  A metal one-piece mount fixed the problem.

It came with a plastic scope stop with a single set screw. It slid after a few shots. A metal one-piece mount fixed the problem.

Bleh! I'd have replaced those too, anyway the ones on both of mine are metal framed w/soft plastic guards to protect the finish & to help absorb the recoil, maybe Gamo started cheaping out on the scope stops or something.
I looked at the discovery and the marauder 48south... While it is better all around, My guess is I will take a few shots here and there and dispatch the occasional pest in my garden. The precharged gun are a whole-nutha-level kind of cool, but I just don't see myself pumping up the gun for a couple of shots. Lemme check up on the spring gun you mentioned... Stay tuned
I've owned a number of various air rifles over the years, personally I think that the spring pistoned rifles are the way to go, break-barrel or under-lever, side cockers, doesn't matter, that's just personal preference, granted they have a steeper learning curve to shoot properly but once you learn how to properly shoot them you'll be a much better off-hand marksman not only with airguns in general but also with blackpowder & smokeless/modern cartridge rifles as well, at least I know shooting airguns has improved ALL OF my off-hand shooting.

I am not a big fan of the ultra-light, super velocity, alloy pellets though, they do have a couple advantages, ie: their trajectory is a lot flatter than traditional lead pellets & they usually stay super-sonic from muzzle to target unlike the light/medium lead pellets, which can effect accuracy if they transition to subsonic velocities before hitting the target.

But on the down-side I really don't like the super-sonic crack, my Gamo Shadow 1000's are already loud enough with heavy weight lead pellets, when I shoot the alloy pellets out of them I might as well be shooting high velocity .22LR out of them, which sort of defeats the purpose of using an airgun IMHO.

I'd love to get a local airgun league going, anyone around Ripley, Halls, Covington, Henning area interested in helping to put something like that together?

It came with a plastic scope stop with a single set screw.  It slid after a few shots.  A metal one-piece mount fixed the problem.

Yeah my Browning Leverage has actual Weaver rail, so no backing off of the scope. Something I can't say for my Marlin 60.

- OS

Well I ended up with a Benjamin trail xp in .22. So far very happy with the low noise... accuracy is taking some getting used to. I can hit a 3" steel at 20 yards with no problem. Trigger is average quality, might consider upgrading that later. Also might try some different types of ammo to see what it likes better. Using Benjamin hollow point domes for testing.

or for around $100 more you can get a Benjamin Marauder which is one bad dude,

Bad SOB

My friend has a .22 and hunts squirrels in the middle of the city.  The thing is stupid accurate and makes no noise.  His best kill is a squirrel at 94 yards. 

• 3 weeks later...