Self-Defense Behind the Wheel

Some salient points for consideration especially for right handed shooters.

"Americans live in a culture of cars, spending many hours every week driving or riding in them, whether to and from the office, or across the country for vacation. After digesting commercials that emphasize the freedom of driving and the advances in vehicle safety features, it is easy to forget that threats other than weather and road conditions still exist, even after buckling up."

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/self-defense-behind-the-wheel/

Had a long post typed out until the old iPad decided to do its own thing, but here's the gist.

Good points, but they failed to mention the best option; Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!

Most of the wonderful people you'd likely meet in an armed confrontation couldn't reliably hit a stationary paper target at seven yards let alone a rapidly moving target inside a vehicle. ANY increased distance decreases your chances of being hit and increases the time you have to react.

And should you be in an offensive mood, put that 23.1 million grain bullet you're driving to work.
  • Like 2

Nothing like a two thousand pound defensive, moving weapon.  Always keep distance in front of you so that you are not hemmed in at a red light.  Alway think of options and never tail-gate or assume anything.

Had a long post typed out until the old iPad decided to do its own thing, but here's the gist.

Good points, but they failed to mention the best option; Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!

Most of the wonderful people you'd likely meet in an armed confrontation couldn't reliably hit a stationary paper target at seven yards let alone a rapidly moving target inside a vehicle. ANY increased distance decreases your chances of being hit and increases the time you have to react.

And should you be in an offensive mood, put that 23.1 million grain bullet you're driving to work.

This (and love the Blue Brothers reference!).  :cool:

I've told my wife that many times.  I don't care who's in the way.  If things go sideways, floor it and move them.  Anything smaller than an F350 can pretty easily be pushed out of the way.  I'd much rather deal with a claim on the car insurance than the life insurance.

Always keep distance in front of you so that you are not hemmed in at a red light.  Alway think of options and never tail-gate or assume anything.

Excellent point.

For those of us in Nashville; use the homeless paper "salesmen" as your "assailant" (there shouldn't be any shortage of unwitting help from any number directions or group strengths). When you spot them, what's your best move?
  • 2 weeks later...

Some salient points for consideration especially for right handed shooters.

"Americans live in a culture of cars, spending many hours every week driving or riding in them, whether to and from the office, or across the country for vacation. After digesting commercials that emphasize the freedom of driving and the advances in vehicle safety features, it is easy to forget that threats other than weather and road conditions still exist, even after buckling up."

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/self-defense-behind-the-wheel/

Personally, I've never found cars to mean freedom, quite the opposite. They are always needing something, oil changes, new tires, ect. I hate the fact that American cities are so poorly designed that you have to have a car to get anywhere. Mine died a couple months ago, a 1989 Taurus with 250K miles that I had for 7 years, and I don't plan on getting another one any time soon. I live close enough to campus to walk, so that isn't a huge issue.

I've always found the idea that you are pretty much forced to own a car as being a huge hassle.

The only times I've almost had to use my gun was in Nashville, I was going to a modeling audition, and a crackhead walked up to my car, asking for a ride a couple streets over. Since I am tall, slim, with long hair, and somewhat feminine looking, he probably thought I was a target. In all my training courses, they  have said never to let anyone walk up to your car. I told him to stop, he kept walking, I told him he was about to get shot. He stopped, I told him to go on about his business.

Edited by ab28