Thompson Center Contender Pistol - Rifle Stock Question...

Guest mechanically

Guest mechanically

I have a Contender with a 14" .22 barrel I purchased from a member here on TGO. Awesome gun, and one I've wanted to own since I was about 12 and my scoutmaster would bring a different barrel on his Contender every time we had a shooting campout for us to try.

I'm intrigued at purchasing a little rifle stock for it, just because I think it would be fun.

The pistol is in fact a pistol according to the S/N as sent from T/C.

But, if I put a stock on my pistol, am I correct in understanding that I would be in violation of the law prohibiting short-barrel rifles?

Therefore, if I want to enjoy my Contender in "rifle mode," I'll need to also purchase a barrel of at least 16"?

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but a little bummed that I suspect this fun little project might be more expensive than I initially thought...

Thanks in advance for the collective TGO wisdom! :wave:

Edited by mechanically

The famous Thompson Contender case in SCOTUS in 1992 redefined how BATF must look at "constructive possession" and "pistol to rifle to pistol", but nothing changed about the basic rule of SBR: you cannot have a stock on any firearm where the legal length of barrel is <16" or overall legal length is <26" without a stamp.

And yeah, any muzzle device counts toward the legal length of either/both if it is "permanently attached" according to BATF standards.

- OS

That was my suspicion. A stock on my bull 14" barrel would be sweet, but oh well.

Thanks for the help!

You could see about having it threaded for a long enough muzzle device to get 16" or a tad longer and have it welded/soldered.

The approved method is:

"Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over."

- OS

Guest mechanically

While that would be a potential solution, I think I'd sooner take the money I'd spend on that project and put it towards a long barrel, and therefore add to the versatility. 

Now, which caliber!?!?

• 9 years later...

The barrel length is something I hadn't consider before as I was looking into getting a stock on the Contender my grandfather left me.

Fortunately the barrels I'm interested in picking up would likely be longer than 16".

On the other hand, I believe there is a <16" .223 barrel and I'm not sure what length the .30-30 or .45-70 barrels are off hand.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I was thinking that even with a longer barrel it would still be illegal to put a regular stock on it. Something to do with it being originally manufactured as a "pistol." I believe there is an adapter for a brace available and less than 16" would be perfectly fine with that.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, seez52 said:

I was thinking that even with a longer barrel it would still be illegal to put a regular stock on it. Something to do with it being originally manufactured as a "pistol." I believe there is an adapter for a brace available and less than 16" would be perfectly fine with that.

Nope. As long as it starts as a pistol or receiver, or anything other than a “rifle”, it can be assembled into a rifle configuration and back out again however much you choose with no issues at all. 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2013 at 8:01 AM, Guest mechanically said:

I have a Contender with a 14" .22 barrel I purchased from a member here on TGO. Awesome gun, and one I've wanted to own since I was about 12 and my scoutmaster would bring a different barrel on his Contender every time we had a shooting campout for us to try.

I'm intrigued at purchasing a little rifle stock for it, just because I think it would be fun.

The pistol is in fact a pistol according to the S/N as sent from T/C.

But, if I put a stock on my pistol, am I correct in understanding that I would be in violation of the law prohibiting short-barrel rifles?

Therefore, if I want to enjoy my Contender in "rifle mode," I'll need to also purchase a barrel of at least 16"?

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but a little bummed that I suspect this fun little project might be more expensive than I initially thought...

Thanks in advance for the collective TGO wisdom! :wave:

You are correct, Sir.

With buttstock attached to receiver you must have at  least 16" of barrel.

You may have a permanently attached extension to be in compliance

308 Bellm w cherry furniture x sm.jpg

Technically, you guys are correct. Practically, there has never been produced a better juvenile deer rifle than a 14” 30-30 barrel and youth stock on a Contender. Especially if you happen to handload!

I know the nuance of current law regarding this, but I really don’t think a single shot rifle was the main reason in which the law was cobbled together.

Edited by gregintenn