Verbal's "Better than Tungsten's" CQBR build...

Guest Verbal Kint

Guest Verbal Kint

:lol:

Alright, so it's probably not any better... just different... especially since we ended up using some of the same components. But I'm sure there will be some sibling rivalry there, when all is said and done and we're both on the firing line. :D

I figured I would list my SBR build spec, since some had asked what I was going with, and also give me space where I can update the progression of the rifle... as well as provide results, opinions, changes, etc. Here is what I currently have on hand, and have planned, for my SBR.

As in Tungsten's thread, the red highlighted components are either on order or haven't been purchased yet.

UPPER RECEIVER:

• VLTOR MUR Upper Receiver with Bolt Assist
  • GTS VCQB 10.5" SS Barrel, Douglas Premium, 1:7, M4 Ramps, Ion Bond finish
  • BCM F/A M-16 Bolt Carrier Group, MPI'd, Black Insert
  • KNS BCG Pin
  • LaRue Tactical Low Profile Gas Block
  • YHM 5C2 Comp / Flash Suppressor
  • PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
  • Carbine Gas Tube
  • LaRue Tactical 9.0 Rail
  • Troy Rear & Front Folding Battle Sights (BUIS), FDE Color
  • TangoDown Stubby Vertical Grip, FDE Color

LOWER RECEIVER:

• Spike's Tactical, 5.56, Receiver. Engraved per BATFE / NFA regs by Spike's Tactical
  • RRA Lower Parts Kit
  • KNS Anti-Roll Trigger Pins
  • BlueForce Redi-Mag
  • MIL-Spec Stock Hardware and H Buffer
  • MagPul MIAD Grip, FDE Color
  • MagPul CTR, MIL-Spec, Stock, FDE Color
  • MagPul Enhanced Trigger Guard
  • MagPul PMAG Magazines, FDE Color

SLING & MOUNT:

• CQD Rear Sling Mount
  • CQD Two/One Point Sling, Coyote Brown

PLANNED OPTICS:

• Aimpoint CompM4 US Army Red Dot, 30mm 1x 2MOA
  • Aimpoint Magnifier, 30mm, 3x20mm
  • Aimpoint Killflash Filter
  • LaRue Tactical QD Mounts for Both Optics

The upper and lower receivers will be painted/coated in MagPul's FDE color, to match the FDE furniture used. Then the entire weapon will likely receive a subdued custom camouflage scheme of my choosing. The planned optics will possibly change between now and time of purchase, as I do not intend to buy them within the next several months. If you're bored enough to do the math, you'll see that this build was pretty pricey... so I'm waiting for my bank accounts to cool off before I even consider making a move on optics. I'll be using the BUIS for quite awhile.

My lower receivers (ordered two of the Spike's Tactical 5.56's) should be due back from engraving at Spike's this week. And I've been holding off on sending out the BATFE form and Legal Trust until I verify exactly how they were marked by Spike's. Once I annotate the exact markings on the form, I'll send the paperwork out and begin the waiting game. From the accounts of others over on the M4C forums, the wait period is right around 60-70 days at the moment... so it shouldn't be all that terrible. I honestly began this build with no intentions of ordering parts so quickly, and no plans of having it finished this season. I intended, and still do, that it will be a project ready for next season. I just wanted to get it out of the way before the upcoming election in November.

Anyway, that's the skinny on my SBR build. I think I included everything, but would have to double-check my list of parts, that are quickly accumulating in my closet. Feel free to critique it or offer suggestions, comments, criticism. :)

Edited by Verbal Kint
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
meh.

He will just get tired of it, and sell it..... :)

Pfft... I never sell my guns.

I end up trading them. :D

Besides... the brilliance of my plan, with it being an SBR, is that I'll be stuck with it!

Guest Verbal Kint

I'll have to look into the Leupold option... hadn't seen that one before.

I can post photos of the components... but would rather wait till it's put together and then take the photos. Much better effect than parts or a pile of boxes on the floor. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Verbal Kint

BTT

Here are some photos of my assembled lower and upper receivers. All the component specs are on the first page in the thread... but figured I'd post some pics of the "finished" product. The 10.5 barrel and rail are stored at a different location, pending the return of the NFA stamp, so photos of them and the final rifle assembly will be forthcoming.

Had to edit the photos, as I assembled them last night and the lighting sucked in the house. Will post better photos of the entire build, outside in better conditions, once it's complete.

lower_receiver01.jpg

lower_receiver02.jpg

lower_receiver03.jpg

Guest Verbal Kint
:biglol::P

:D

Actually, it's true. Stored in a safe at one of our other houses (family). Didn't want to risk testing the BATFE's position on "separate locations" via different safes under the same roof... so figured I'd stick them at different property locations as well. Better to avoid the grey area altogether.

They're just visiting the relatives... once everything is approved and legal, they'll move back in with me. :D

;)

Actually, it's true. Stored in a safe at one of our other houses (family). Didn't want to risk testing the BATFE's position on "separate locations" via different safes under the same roof... so figured I'd stick them at different property locations as well. Better to avoid the grey area altogether.

They're just visiting the relatives... once everything is approved and legal, they'll move back in with me. :)

Does the Government require you to keep NFA items in a seperate safe than regular firearms???

Guest Verbal Kint
Does the Government require you to keep NFA items in a seperate safe than regular firearms???

If you don't physically possess the tax stamp, it's a very bad idea to keep NFA items around your other firearms.

In this instance, you can own a lower receiver any day of the week (as long as you meet the legal requirements). You can even buy a 10.5" upper receiver and/or barrel any day of the week, and have it shipped straight to your house.

However, if you don't have a tax stamp stating you can manufacture/assemble an SBR, you better not have the shorty upper and normal receiver sitting together. The BATFE views this as the ability to produce such a weapon and will thus pound you squarely in the ass. ;)

Once I have my stamp back, the rifle will be fully assembled and it can live in harmony with all of my other firearms... in the same safe or location.

Guest Mugster

After you have the stamp, I'm not sure. The problem for me is I have 4-5 ar's in various caliber's. Sometimes I take em apart and rearrange. So if I had 2 shorty upper's for the one lower, it might not turn out so good. So I'm considering getting a separate safe to put NFA stuff in.

My guess is, you'd be ok with one short upper per legal SBR, but for me, its not worth taking a chance.

You can have as many short uppers as you wish, so long as you have 1 SBR or Pistol lower.

There should be no need to quarantine your NFA items from your Title I stuff.

Your SBR/Pistol lower will be marked, and no matter how many ARs you own, you should be able to remember which is short barrel legal, and which isnt.

• 3 months later...
Guest Verbal Kint

*Bump From the Grave*

Listed the GTS VCQB 10.5" SS Barrel (Douglas Premium, 1:7, M4 Ramps, Ion Bond finish) for sale in the classifieds section.

This build get shelved for a few months, when I moved back home, and then I became undecided on which way I wanted to go with it... or if I even wanted to finish it. I'm sure I will, sometime in the near future, but it will probably take on an SPR/DMR style build since I already invested in the upper receiver. What can I say... I change my mind a lot. Just ask Joe @ Hero Gear. ;)

Priced for a quick sale, S&H + Insurance included. You guarantee that you won't find this barrel in stock anywhere else... even at the GTS site. The inventory dried up months ago, and became even harder to find when the election scare came around.

Check out the classifieds, if interested.

*Bump From the Grave*

Listed the GTS VCQB 10.5" SS Barrel (Douglas Premium, 1:7, M4 Ramps, Ion Bond finish) for sale in the classifieds section.

This build get shelved for a few months, when I moved back home, and then I became undecided on which way I wanted to go with it... or if I even wanted to finish it. I'm sure I will, sometime in the near future, but it will probably take on an SPR/DMR style build since I already invested in the upper receiver. What can I say... I change my mind a lot. Just ask Joe @ Hero Gear. ;)

Priced for a quick sale, S&H + Insurance included. You guarantee that you won't find this barrel in stock anywhere else... even at the GTS site. The inventory dried up months ago, and became even harder to find when the election scare came around.

Check out the classifieds, if interested.

SBR to SPR?

Amazing how quickly one can change a B to a P...;)

Guest Verbal Kint
SBR to SPR?

Amazing how quickly one can change a B to a P...;)

;)

In my case it took a few months, but yeah... it can happen pretty quickly. Part of me still wants to submit the paperwork (heck, it's already filled out along with the notarized Trust... just never mailed it with the check)... part of me has lost interest. It happens I guess. I'm sure I'll regret not having an SBR once Obama makes them illegal with his congressional voodoo... but oh well. I don't see me spending the extra $200 at the moment, so rather sell the barrel and go a different direction.

I change my mind a lot. It's a curse.