new garand

I wrote a nice note that I sent in with all my paperwork. I thanked them for all  their help right now and let them know I wasn't in a hurry. I asked for some older wood with some character and told them this would be my first Garand would they please pull me aside a good shooter. I also included a small donation. I have no idea if this actually helped, but I would say it didn't hurt any.

I didn't do any of the note writing or donating you did, so we'll see what I get in a month or so - I'm betting right now you end up with the better rifle, as those little things seem to make a difference in every other transaction...wish I'd done the same.  Now I may have to buy another one and be really sweet to them.  That's a problem I don't mind having.

Well?!!!!!!!!!

I got head-faked by FedEx.  I assumed when they tried to deliver something that required a signature from someone 21+ that it was the rifle.  Nope.  It was the ammo I ordered, so still waiting for the rifle.  Oddly enough, this was the first time I've ever had to sign for an ammo delivery.

Guest tangojuliet

I was in the same boat but then one presented itself and I had to just whip out the plastic and grab it. I'm so glad I did. I hate using credit cards, but this one is justified.

ill just have to keep looking ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last week, I made an inquiry about the status of my Service Grade H&R order, upon which I was informed that they were backordered, and the delivery timeframe was now 120-180 days.  BOO!

Today, I received the following email from The CMP:

Sir,

As you may know, the HRA Service grade rifle you requested is currently on backorder. Our serial number records show that we have significantly more HRA serial numbers than any other manufacturer, so there will not be a problem filling your order.  However, this may take several weeks.

There is a very limited quantity of Springfield rifles that we have accumulated. We are working the oldest orders first and are now contacting a few customers to offer the option to change the order to this item.  Please let us know if you would like to change your order to the Springfield manufacturer at the same grade and price. We will need your reply to make the change by August 2, so we are able to fill as many orders as possible. If we do not hear from you by the requested date, we will keep your order on backorder for the HRA Service grade rifle.

Thank you,

CMP Customer Service

After confirming the Springfields were in as good or better condition (with an earlier delivery date implied by the above message), I sent a polite email response to the effect of HELL YES SEND ME ONE WANT IT NOW NOW NOW!!!!

• Like 1

What you need to do is quit drooling all over it and post up some pics!

Congrats!

I'll start a new thread in the show and tell section at some point, but before I show it, I want to be able to tell how it shoots.  It should be nice - it's a very tight gun with little sign of having been shot a ton.  The stock is dinged up in spots, as is the exposed portion of the barrel, but everything under the wood looks pristine.  The rifling looks good, the feed ramps and bolt look nice, muzzle gauged at 1+, throat at 2+.  For a milsurp, the trigger is nice - it breaks more cleanly than my k98, though it's a bit heavier.

They are a real joy to shoot.  With those numbers it's ready for years of action.  If you can shoot at 100 yards just run the rear sight all the way down and bring it back up 8-10 clicks, pumpkin on a post sight picture.  Should be right on.

Bad news on the M1 front...I was all set to shoot last Saturday, but needed to strip and lube the rifle, as it was bone dry.  Takedown was easy, though the follower pin took some effort to remove (note the foreshadowing), but reassembly proved impossible.  After much fiddling and reading, along with more fiddling, I found that the bullet guide was out of spec, and an examination of the follower pin showed it had been force-fitted at the rifle's last assembly.  Whoever did that job had to be a few knuckle hairs from being up a tree, as it must have required some serious strength.  A new bullet guide is on the way, but it will be some time before I have a weekend day free to shoot.  Alas, the wait continues.