Korean war part II

Guest HvyMtl

If they close the South Korean run factory, just over the border in North Korea, then I would start taking the threats seriously.  Otherwise, it is an attempt of the new kid to look all military to his people...

We don't want a war there if it can be avoided in any way possible. That place would make Afghanistan look like Disney Land. I have no doubt that tens of thousands of our soldiers would die, at very least. If they attack first then we have no choice.

If we know that an attack is imminent the best thing would be to use missles and drones to take out Kim and as many military leaders as possible, as well as their infastructure. Cause the whole government and military to collapse then go in and mop up. Either way, it would be a blood bath. Another possible consequence is that this whole thing has a domino effect. It could cause more conflicts. China is already just looking for an excuse to attack Japan and Taiwan.

This has the potential to get really nasty.

If Lil' Kim decides to pop a nuke, it won't be us that gets it.  More than likely it will be Japan, since they can target them more effectively.  A war there would be a miserable one and mostly infantry. Way to hilly for armor.  We aren't ready for something like that. Got to remember, that the last several wars we fought, we were the "aggressor".  The shoe will probably be on the other foot now.  They will be coming over the border at us this time, while we wait on them.  Not the other way away around. 

The city of Seoul is like 20 miles from the border.  It will be gone it a matter of 24 hours, along with at least a couple of our brigades.  Their loses will be staggering too, but they have a lot more manpower that they can afford to lose, than our side does. If it starts, it won't be pretty and I while I have no doubt about the out come, I figure we will all be shocked at our causalities. 

Still on the other hand, I almost wish he would do something, just because they have been around for so long and been such a pain in our ass, it just be nice to see NK go away.

Guest RedLights&Sirens

...now we have more pin point GPS guided bombs and unmanned drones...

Except the drones will be too busy occupying US airspace during Obamas war on freedom. Just sayin :-D

Don't be quick to judge that situation, Cav scout and I both spent a few years there and can say without question it would be the nastiest war in modern times.  We have anywhere between 25,000-30,000 US troops there at any given point, and the calculations were for approximately 75% of them to be dead after the first attack from the north.  DPRK has enough artillery to shoot it's like 4000 rounds minute for days straight and never run out... And that's all we know of, nor is it taking into consideration the use of chemicals which is a large portion of their stockpile.

They will not use nukes on the south because they need to capture the resources.  Those people have lived in absolute misery for decades, we simple do not have the stomach to deal with images like what happened in the first Korean war with melted machine gun barrels overlooking acres of rice patties with so many dead bodies you could walk across and never touch the mud one time.

To me that would be a green light to nuke em from orbit. Why waste so many American lives over a 2 bit idiot. Just nuke em and be done with it.

The city of Seoul is like 20 miles from the border.  It will be gone it a matter of 24 hours, along with at least a couple of our brigades. 

Twenty Five miles and more like about 30 minutes or less!

Dave S

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

If Lil' Kim decides to pop a nuke, it won't be us that gets it.  More than likely it will be Japan, since they can target them more effectively.  A war there would be a miserable one and mostly infantry. Way to hilly for armor.  We aren't ready for something like that. Got to remember, that the last several wars we fought, we were the "aggressor".  The shoe will probably be on the other foot now.  They will be coming over the border at us this time, while we wait on them.  Not the other way away around. 

The city of Seoul is like 20 miles from the border.  It will be gone it a matter of 24 hours, along with at least a couple of our brigades.  Their loses will be staggering too, but they have a lot more manpower that they can afford to lose, than our side does. If it starts, it won't be pretty and I while I have no doubt about the out come, I figure we will all be shocked at our causalities. 

Still on the other hand, I almost wish he would do something, just because they have been around for so long and been such a pain in our ass, it just be nice to see NK go away.

If they did something like that to Japan, it would trigger a much larger event, because of Japan's economy. That's a

huge problem with all of this.

Escalation

We really must be stirring the pot.  Foxnews is reporting that we are now sending F-22s there.  I understand the psychological aspect of informing the enemy of what we are doing, but I do believe that is throwing gas on the fire.  We could have quietly done this transfer of assets. 

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/31/us-reportedly-sends-f-22-jets-to-join-south-korea-drills/

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1
It's been 25yrs since I left S.Korea and I'm certain that a lot has changed. That being said, I would not want to see a war there. Everything that I could say about the landscape, tunnels and artillery have already been said. That war would be like nothing that we have ever seen. No doubt that we would prevail, but it may come at a heavy price.

It's been 25yrs since I left S.Korea and I'm certain that a lot has changed. That being said, I would not want to see a war there. Everything that I could say about the landscape, tunnels and artillery have already been said. That war would be like nothing that we have ever seen. No doubt that we would prevail, but it may come at a heavy price.

Bet you it's still almost identical, the guys I worked with that were there in the 80's and then back in the late 90's said nothing had changed except the names of the bars. From 96 to 2000, not a single thing changed

Bet you it's still almost identical, the guys I worked with that were there in the 80's and then back in the late 90's said nothing had changed except the names of the bars. From 96 to 2000, not a single thing changed

That's probably true. I also served in the Gulf War. War on the peninsula would make desert warfare seem like playing a video game.

Here are a couple of questions I posed in another thread on this topic.

For argument's sake, let's assume we have it out with NK. We are bogged down in the middle east, and now we open another front on the war on terror or Bush's axis of evil. What is to stop China from taking advantage of the situation and decide to bring Taiwan back into the fold? If they moved on Taiwan, we are obligated to stop them. Would we or even could we? If we declare war with NK, could NK launch nukes against SK or Japan as a if we are gonna go down we are gonna take you with us response?

While I am pretty sure Kim Jung whatever his name is sabre rattling, he could bring devastation really quick to the world markets. It is a troubling situation, and I sure hope someone has put a muzzle on both McCain and Graham.

Edited by mav
Guest 6.8 AR

I sure hope this isn't the end, but what you say, Mav, is what would probably happen. We are obligated by treaty

to defend Taiwan, Japan would get melted by NK, the world economic markets would go through a meltdown in

short order. Our military is getting more thinly spread and I don't like this leadership being who it is, at all, for this.

I doubt China could do much directly against our mainland(logistics), but I wouldn't doubt it one bit that they would

fund others in our demise. Someone said there would be a lot of side picking and I agree. China and someone said

they were ditching the US currency as the reserve. That's a bit troublesome. Iran, Hell, who knows what they can

already do, but I'm sure it ain't that nice, and won't speculate.

All I can say is that we have too many problems to be sending those F-22's and such to NK, but I could be missing a lot.

Guest RedLights&Sirens

We really must be stirring the pot. Foxnews is reporting that we are now sending F-22s there. I understand the psychological aspect of informing the enemy of what we are doing, but I do believe that is throwing gas on the fire. We could have quietly done this transfer of assets.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/31/us-reportedly-sends-f-22-jets-to-join-south-korea-drills/

I thought the F-22 was finally scrapped because pilots were refusing to risk their lives in that peice of cr@p?