Do people ask YOU for information to get a HCP?

Guest bluecanary25

Guest bluecanary25

Not wanting to start an arguement OC vs CC.

Curious about how many help promote getting a HCP.

Not counting Family, Friends and co-workers...

Complete strangers that ask is it legal to carry a handgun and how does one get a permit to carry...

Do you OC or CC when asked?

I Open Carry. 

I am asked when shopping, while pushing my mother in a wheelchair in public...

Most people have a positive response when addressed pleasantly and appreciate getting information, on how or where, to acquire a HCP.

So... do you get asked about gettiing a HCP?

George

I have been asked, and I conceal carry.  I guess people just assume.....

I always tell everyone the same:  It is our responsibility as citizens of the U.S. and of TN to protect ourselves, our families, and our communities.  Be ready for danger and hope it never happens.  I also always recommend a good place to take a permit class near wherever they live.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't look like someone that would carry a gun, but I tell people how to get a permit if the topic ever comes up. I also go to college, so if I hear people talking about pro gun control, I get in the conversation and pretty much destroy them, not in a mean way, but in a logical, instructive way.

Guest MilitiaMan

I absolutely avoid the topic with strangers, too many yahoo's and knucklehead wannabe's out there. I avidly discuss it with family and a select few friends, those of somewhat like mind and interests.

I have been asked, and I conceal carry.  I guess people just assume.....

I always tell everyone the same:  It is our responsibility as citizens of the U.S. and of TN to protect ourselves, our families, and our communities.  Be ready for danger and hope it never happens.  I also always recommend a good place to take a permit class near wherever they live.

This. The responsibility for my safety as well as the safety of those I love and care about falls on me and no one else.

if someone asked, i would help them, but this is the information age.   About 5 min on the internet will tell one what is required in TN, how much it costs, where to get it done, etc.    Most folks under 60 know this and would pick this route over asking random strangers about guns.

Those that need to know I'm carrying know, those that don't do not.  I conceal well, so I'm not approached.  I typically don't approach complete strangers and ask "would you like to know how to get a handgun carry permit?"...for various reasons.  I've never been asked when carrying....I guess I'm not tacticool enough for assumptions.  I may get asked by complete strangers in the grocery/whatever store: "do you have [insert product here] in stock?" so I guess I usually look more like a grocery clerk or store management than someone who is 'obviously' packing....mission accomplished.

• 3 weeks later...

if someone asked, i would help them, but this is the information age.   About 5 min on the internet will tell one what is required in TN, how much it costs, where to get it done, etc.    Most folks under 60 know this and would pick this route over asking random strangers about guns.

True, but for the people we are talking about here, ie people for whom firearms and self-defense isn't an everyday thing, most of them will never get around to looking the info up. 

Compare it to exercise. We can look up all the info online. What to do, where, how long, how much, places and prices etc etc. Yet most people only talk about it and never do it unless they have someone to motivate them or go with them etc. So talking to someone about getting a permit could be the thing that tips the scales for them. Or pushes them to actually sit down and look it up online.

I typically get asked about once a month,  most of the times it's Soldiers that i've worked with asking me, other times its friends of mine or my wife.  I'll always happily oblige anyone who asks.  Yes all the information is out there on the internet for them to research it themselves.  But alot of it requires knowing what your looking for to find it.  For example most Soldiers do not know that they may be able to be exempted from the class.  Alot of my friends will ask where is a good place to takethe class at.  Yes the informations out there but i choose to think they seek my input or advice because they trust my opinion.  It's very rare that i OC however i do on occasion to include when im just hanging out around the house that day i'll just wear the undershirt and no cover garment.  We have friends stop by fairly regurlarly that always see me carry.    Im working on another convert now.  A good friend of mine and my wife just shot hanguns for the first time a couple weekends ago out at MCTS with another one of her friends.  I took her out sunday to Guns and Leather and let her put around 250-300 rounds through my M&P Pro.    If she gets her way when her husband gets back from korea this summer there gonna go take the class at G&L together.   

I regularly get asked to teach friends wives, even though most of my friends are shooters as well, teaching your own spouse can be a very difficult thing. It seems that wives are pre programmed to not listen to thier husbands but for some reason will listen to someone else. 

Edited by c.a.willard

I've never been approached by anyone out in general public about HCP information.  Now, I have had individuals within my circle of friends, who know I carry, ask and I've provided them with direction.  Even had the privilege of taking a few to the shooting range for the very first time.  It's cool to see someone who's never really had much experience with firearms get excited about shooting at and hitting a target.  That never gets old to me. 

Edited by chrisw670

Thank you for the responses. 

It would be nice if we could encourage more Citizens to acquire a HCP.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we became the 5th Constitutional carry state and all this would be moot? Not everyone can afford the privileges we buy.

• Like 1