My new .308 load.....

Indian Ishapore, I built the scope mount which does not modify the rifle but allows my failing eyes the benefit of a 2x Nikon pistol scope.
The load; Federal case, CCI large Rifle primer, 30.0g of WC-844T and a 170g hollow point cast from air cooled wheel weights, Lyman gas check, lubed with my homemade boolit lube and sized .311

Remember this is not a super refined bench rest rifle, it's an Indian Ishapore.

I grouped at 25 yards and 50 yards. Ten shot groups. Three shot groups are a joke and don't tell the truth of things.

DSC02816_zpsad1fdc6a.jpg

I moved out to 100 yards but I was pressed for time so I just shot at clay targets laying on the berm. I hit 9 out of 10 with the one miss still being destroyed by impact.

DSC02817_zpsccec1e62.jpg

I'm really tickled with this load and the rifle too! I shot (50) rounds total and after three dry patches, the bore was shiny. ZERO leading. I'm really happy with the mold too, it's a real joy to cast from. No where NEAR as much trouble as other hollow point molds I've used in the past.

DSC02818_zpsbc251f35.jpg

• Like 1

Bustin clay birds with an old rifle, cast bullets, and a 2 power scope at a hundred yards aint bad.  I wouldnt be surprized if your groups turn out tighter than the 50 yard targets would indicate.  Ive seen that before with jacketed bullets.  The 50 yard target may be showin bullet prints still tryin to stabilize.  I cant wait to see your 100 yard targets when ya get the time. 

Keep up the good work.

leroy

Very cool! And interesting choice in powder as well. Love it.

I got that powder from a good friend. There's really no load data for it. Wc844 is pretty close to H335, but 844T is a little hotter as the 'T' designates it was meant to light tracers. It took a lot of thought, questions and research to arrive at a decision on where to start.

Pressures are pretty low though. There's a large radius on the primer and recoil is about like a 32/20.

I'm guessing velocity to be around 2K'ish.
Strange though, point of impact does not change from 25 to 100 yards. The scope is pretty much dead on. I'd say its about and inch low at a hundred.

Thats why I said it was an interesting choice. figured you would want to keep velocity low and you were using a 5.56 tracer powder. I'm glad it worked though and you got a nice good load! It's amazing what people can come up with, and thats a big reason I love this forum. It inspires me to try new things and think outside the box!