This put me in a bad mood.

Way to hack up a classic. I don't know why, but this pissed me off. Maybe I am just grumpy..not sure why people think that SKS rifles can be turned into an AK with a crappy plastic Tapco stock. I could see a Chinese SKS, maybe, but a Russian? Come on man.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1394885/knoxville-tennessee-rifles-for-sale--all-numbers-matching-sks--1953-russian-tula-

Edited by austin7.62
  • Like 3

I just do not see the point in taking a old mil-surp and turning it into something trashy. Why take an SKS, and add all of that junk to it? If you want something with all the evil features, why not save up and buy an AK or an AR, or another "assault weapon" system? Instead of taking a Mosin-Nagant or heaven forbid a Mauser :) and butchering it to pieces, why not spend $425 on a Remmy 700? I just do not understand.

Rant over now.

Edited by austin7.62
  • Like 1
Guest TN.Frank
I've never liked the aftermarket stocks for the SKS and we all know that any mag but the factory 10 round just doesn't work reliably. Add to that the very over inflated $800 price tag and it's got me a bit mad too.

I did a Tapco stock on mine back about 10 years ago... Hated it so it's back to it's former self now.

Anything but the factory mag in them is a waste of time in my opinion.

I need to dig that old rifle out and go shoot it some.

Different strokes...

I guess I'm just not a purist, but this does not bother me.  It's not something I would ever do, simply because I don't see the point in it, but if someone else wants to do it, then so be it. 

Guest HvyMtl

Hopefully, he has the original stock someplace. $800? Using the present gun scare to line your pockets, much?

Edited by HvyMtl

At the Franklin gun show this winter... we found a US marked 1943 1911 that some turdbucket had modified with aftermarket sights, his version of file checking on the grips, and lastly, some stupid beaver tail addition. The guy was proud that "my grand daddy would be proud that I dun all the work myself". It was sickening. The guy had no idea what he chopped up... to boot, it was wire wheeled to death. I'd much rather have a rusty 1911 than a wire brushed one.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Guest TankerHC

I just do not see the point in taking a old mil-surp and turning it into something trashy. Why take an SKS, and add all of that junk to it? If you want something with all the evil features, why not save up and buy an AK or an AR, or another "assault weapon" system? Instead of taking a Mosin-Nagant or heaven forbid a Mauser :) and butchering it to pieces, why not spend $425 on a Remmy 700? I just do not understand.

Rant over now.

Me neither, but I'm still buying the new Archangel stock for a 91/30. :crazy:

Guest Hound

Me neither, but I'm still buying the new Archangel stock for a 91/30. :crazy:

im considering doing that myself.  Still havnt decided for sure.

Yeah ,  Its a bonehead mistakeand even pisses me off alittle too  .  But, Its his rifle to do what he pleases.

I can't help to think  It just increases the value of my Russian originals even more.   :woohoo:

IMG_3452.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, woody...

I'll trade ya a nice laminated stock for number 6 there.  :dirty:

Edited by bikertrash2001