10 AM Announcement Due

supposedly a deal has been cut.

I am very sure this will solve the problem of criminals and crazy people getting guns and using them.     ( no I am not)

It will work until the next time some crazy person kills and then the .gov will know that more control is what is best for us.

With this plan and how it will accelerate every time a gun crime happens they will decide it is best if we just turn them in.   I give it twenty years.

Read a little about it. They finally compromised on what to put in the bill. It still has to get the votes to be put up for a vote and then it has to pass the house and senate, it is expected to fail. Even if it does passes, it looks like private sales are safe. Everything I read says that it is only addressing FFL transactions. That could easily change before the bill gets voted on. I expect this to be an extremely long process as long there is no 2am holiday votes like in NY

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

McConnell announced, yesterday or the day before, that he will join in a filibuster, since Reid is trying to

stop one.

Edited by 6.8 AR

It looked like the bill was going to make the whole US run background checks like we already do here in TN. FFL has to run a background check, but now they have to do it through a national database. I wonder what the National database will cost to fund. I foresee a $50+ BC fee.  I am getting most of the info off of the mainstream media sites so some info could be slanted.

Edited by STAHDKnoxville

One source is stating that background checks will be mandatory for all sales at gun shows and across the internet.  Good luck on defining 'gun show' and 'internet sale'!  Another worthless bill designed to get folks used to background checks for everyone without having any effect whatsoever on crime or mass killings.

Time to call Corker and Alexander and tell them that NO INFRINGEMENT is acceptable!

• Like 2

On the radio this morning the only detail they (ABC News) are reporting is that family transfers are exempt and commercial transactions will be tightened up. Nothing was mentioned about private party between non family members.

Nope - totally unacceptable.

One source is stating that background checks will be mandatory for all sales at gun shows and across the internet.  Good luck on defining 'gun show' and 'internet sale'!  Another worthless bill designed to get folks used to background checks for everyone without having any effect whatsoever on crime or mass killings.

Time to call Corker and Alexander and tell them that NO INFRINGEMENT is acceptable!

They don't care. :shrug:

• Like 1

Nope - totally unacceptable.

I totally agree!  We have to make them care, vote and get involved in the process, call and email and drive them crazy if we have to!  (some are way past crazy already).

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-cast-first-gun-control-votes-thursday-025348479.html;_ylt=Aqg5eUUquL8x9Kd3Pfki68kJVux_;_ylu=X3oDMTIya2VmN21rBG1pdANBVFQgV2lkZ2V0cm9uIEhvbWUgMDMyMDEzBHBvcwMxNQRzZWMDTWVkaWFBdHRXaWRnZXRyb25Bc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

According to a Senate Democratic aide, the measure would expand criminal background checks for prospective gun buyers to include sales made at gun shows and online.  Sales among friends or family members would be exempt from the requirement, which is designed to close many loopholes

It looked like the bill was going to make the whole US run background checks like we already do here in TN. FFL has to run a background check, but now they have to do it through a national database. ...

??? Every state, including TN, already runs the checks the same way, through NICS national database (s).

Only thing diff about TN from the norm is that TBI gets involved with additional looksee, and charges us 10 clams for the favor.

I can't find any info on the announcement. I know they are voting today but a filibuster is expected. It is just a matter of time though.

Any vote in next few days will be simply to open discussion of the bill and its amendments, not voting on the bill itself. Will take 60 votes to do that (only 51 to actually pass bill).  And actually, it looks like filibuster is probably not going to succeed, fading fast.

And yes, the amendments will include EBR and hi-cap mag bans, again.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

A legal question for those with more knowledge about the federal laws and case law:

Long ago SCOTUS said a poll tax was unconstitutional, why isn't paying for a background check equally unconstitutional as both require payment to exercise your rights?
Has this argument ever been made?

Guest mattgawarecki

A legal question for those with more knowledge about the federal laws and case law:

Long ago SCOTUS said a poll tax was unconstitutional, why isn't paying for a background check equally unconstitutional as both require payment to exercise your rights?

I think the rebuttal was that it had to be a "prohibitive" cost. I'm a little hazy on my history, but when poll taxes were attempted, I believe the goal was to suppress the poor (and at that time, black) but otherwise eligible voting populace, so the taxes were set at rates only affordable to those of means. If you're buying even a $200 gun, a $20 background check could be construed as falling outside the range of "prohibitive."

If I'm not mistaken there are some things we pay for today without thinking about it but that are technically taxes on our rights without being prohibitively expensive. I can't think of any right now for some reason...

DISCLAIMER: I could be entirely wrong. Someone set me straight if that's the case.

Edited by mattgawarecki

I've not heard of it.

It looked like the bill was going to make the whole US run background checks like we already do here in TN. FFL has to run a background check, but now they have to do it through a national database. I wonder what the National database will cost to fund. I foresee a $50+ BC fee.  I am getting most of the info off of the mainstream media sites so some info could be slanted.

I don't see it being more than $20 tops.  Maybe $10 state $10 Fed.

So riddle me this Batman.  How can you buy a gun online today with the current laws and avoid a background check legally?  What site allows you to buy guns like you would anything else online?

I think the rebuttal was that it had to be a "prohibitive" cost. I'm a little hazy on my history, but when poll taxes were attempted, I believe the goal was to suppress the poor (and at that time, black) but otherwise eligible voting populace, so the taxes were set at rates only affordable to those of means.

Isn't the $200 ATF tax stamp scheme identical?

Gun control has its history in racism as well, from the various laws enacted just after the civil war to the original term for a "Saturday Night Special".

So if background checks will be mandatory at gun shows, I assume they mean the booths inside, so person to person with your "friends" outside is still good to go?

No, there will be a ban on all private sales period. At least that's been my prediction, long before Sandy Hook. The "gun show loophole" is just a catchphrase. It means "private sales".

Looks like there may be an exception for gifting firearms to certain family members only.

- OS

Isn't the $200 ATF tax stamp scheme identical?

Gun control has its history in racism as well, from the various laws enacted just after the civil war to the original term for a "Saturday Night Special".

The original NFA of 1934 set those $200 standards, which was big money then for anyone, black or white.

Of course fat cat criminals could afford it, if they cared to comply. :)

- OS