Recommendations on .308 Battle Rifle

Is there a big difference in the cost of a top of the line, or at least upper mid-grade AR-10 and a SCAR?  I know you could get an entry level AR-10 pre-panic for about $1k out the door.  But to get one with the some of the features to mimic a SCAR was probably closer to $2k or more.  SCAR's were in the $2500 range pre-panic (unless you wanted the-less accurate FDE variety). 

Budget has a lot to do with it, and the OP didn't mention one, so $500 (or whatever the difference may be now) could be huge. 

I can never give too much cost saving creedence to the multiple upper approach with an AR type rifle.  Extra uppers don't stay "extra" for long.  :)

Sooooo very true on the uppers staying extra lol.

My first ar308 was the heavy dpms 260 rem (I must have gotten lucky on that one because it out shoots all of my bolt guns...) It was $1k pre crazy

My 308 light upper I built with Ranier arms barrel and troy rail I had about $7-750 in it.

My third 308 I intend on having closer to 1k in as I am intending on stepping up in barrel quality (Krieger or Lilja...still flipping a coin).

That puts me at roughly $2700 in a rifle with three uppers. Throw in my geissele trigger and other nick nacks and its a cool $3k I would guess.

I've had mine for several years and been happy with it.

Mee too.  Over the years, I have shot many different 308/7.62 platforms and without doubt my choice is the same as the current military... M14/M1A!!  The Sage EBR chassis has successfully resurrected the M14 from the archives and modernized it to handle any and all accessories you can imagine.  Yep, it's a bit heavy which is a blessing with full power loads.  Very accurate combination that requires no bedding whatsoever to shoot MOA. 

For me, the AR10 type 308s are just as heavy if not more so or feels like it fer sure..

Fellas, take a look at the S&W M&P 10. it's decent rifle, I know SCAR17s is the chit, but for some of us that don't have 2500 at the moment, this is a bargain to get in the 308 game. Yes, I looked at this at one time, even got a chinese m14 to try out, decided to stick to my AR15s at the time but been looking at getting in the 308 Battle rifle game (FAL, .308 AR)

I'm very happy with my LWRC REPR... top it off w/ a Swarovski z6i and a bipod and you are gtg.

Excellent for reaching out and w/ the scope dialed down it's a fine cqb platform.