Remington to stay in NY

This story is a month old, but was linked on The Gun Wire today

Remington Arms To Stay In New York

ILION, N.Y. — Remington Arms will be staying in the Mohawk Valley for the foreseeable future. Two days after sources say Remington Officials met with three State Senators and three Assembly, U.S. Congressman Richard Hanna announced that the Pentagon would be awarding Remington an $80 million contract.

In the meeting, sources say, Remington told the State lawmakers that they were moving forward with a $20 million upgrade to their plant that employs 1,200 people.

Hanna said that the contract calls for Remington to make more than 5,000 sniper rifles and millions of rounds over the next 10 years for the U.S. Special Operations Command.

Concerns were raised about the company's future in Herkimer County after the Legislature passed a law banning the sale of military-style rifles, including the Bushmaster product made at the Remington plant. Since the law was passed in mid-January, other states have shown interest in having Remington relocate the plant.

I e-mailed to remind them I will buy no Remington products until they relocate to a free state, or NY repeals it's recent anti-gun laws. Of course I can't compete with $80 million in Obama money.

Guest PapaB

It looks like remington was for sale and the gov't just bought them. I can't stop my tax money from supporting them but that's the only money of mine they'll see.

I support all U.S. gun manufacturers and will continue to do so. Remington can’t up and move a manufacturing facility without substantially increasing costs to us. It could bankrupt them.

This is just another way for the gun haters to turn us against each other… don’t fall for it.

• Like 2

I support all U.S. gun manufacturers and will continue to do so. Remington can’t up and move a manufacturing facility without substantially increasing costs to us. It could bankrupt them.

This is just another way for the gun haters to turn us against each other… don’t fall for it.

while I agree it would be expensive I highly doubt it would bankrupt them. If they are paying the workers union level wages I would imagine it might actually be cheaper in the long run for them to relocate. 

Magpul figured it out. I don't know why Remington can't. 80 million is a lot of money but I think our Constitutional rights are worth more. Remington sold us out IMHO.

How is Remington selling out your rights? They are our brothers in this fight. They are also victims of out of control legislation.

If they hadn’t taken the contract (one that any manufacturer anywhere in the world would be all over), it’s possible our manufacturing base would take another hit from foreign manufacturing.

Comparing a 1200 person heavy manufacturing to facility to somewhere like Magpul that contracts out the heavy lifting isn’t fair. They can’t just up and move.

If you kill off all the American gun manufacturers the government can then ban foreign imports…. Game over.

I support Remington, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, and all the other American manufacturers and want them to know that most of us support them in their struggles against the anti-gunners. I am disappointed that on a U.S. gun forum I have to use the word “most”; I should be able to use the word “all”.

• Like 1
.....Comparing a 1200 person heavy manufacturing to facility to somewhere like Magpul that contracts out the heavy lifting isn’t fair. They can’t just up and move.

Exactly so. Magpul has 200 folks and doesn't really manufacture anything itself beyond assembling prefab components. Packaging and shipping is probably its biggest in-house operation.  It's just an entirely different type of manufacturing model, and surely much more "portable".

Plus you'll notice that all Remington expansions have been out of what's become enemy territory. Hell, they moved the headquarters to NC years ago, plus the plant in KY. And ammo is in AR.

- OS
Edited by Oh Shoot

If they hadn’t taken the contract (one that any manufacturer anywhere in the world would be all over), it’s possible our manufacturing base would take another hit from foreign manufacturing.

I understand this. But I also believe that they could have moved and still taken the contract. I don't mean be out by tomorrow, but they could have done it and we all know that. It would have to be a slow process but would probably pay in the long run if their employees are, in fact, unionized or being paid union rates. Dave, I am most certainly in full support of anyone I perceive to be upholding and supporting the Constitution. I don't see that from Remington right now.

I understand this. But I also believe that they could have moved and still taken the contract.,,,,

Contracts have dates. It's not like, "okay we'll get right on them in 3 years after we move, build a new plant and retool, get all our new employees and logistics in place" and whatnot.

- OS

How hard would it have been to do that same expansion in Kentucky and Arkansas, instead of NY?  I bet it would have not only been easier, but also cheaper!  No ,Remington sold us down the river for a dollar.  So no more money from me.  Obviously, they don't need it anymore.  They got their big shiny contract from the Government.  We didn't turn on Remington, they turned on us.

• Like 1

How hard would it have been to do that same expansion in Kentucky and Arkansas, instead of NY?  I bet it would have not only been easier, but also cheaper!  No ,Remington sold us down the river for a dollar.  So no more money from me.  Obviously, they don't need it anymore.  They got their big shiny contract from the Government.  We didn't turn on Remington, they turned on us.

Couldn't say, man. Arkansas is dedicated to ammo, KY supposedly at full capacity. Includes Marlin and H&R too, ya know. So don't buy any of them either. :)

- OS

They are expanding in Kentucky.

I am at a loss on how anyone can want to boycott a company like Remington because of anti-gun laws a state passes.

The Government has awarded a 10 year, Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ), Firm Fixed Priced contract for the purchase of the Precision Sniper Rifle (PSR) system. The maximum quantities for this requirement are projected to be 5,150 PSR systems and 4,696,800 rounds of ammunition. The work will be performed at two Remington facilities Ilion, NY, and Elizabethtown, KY, and the ammunition at Barnes Bullets facility Mona, UT, and expected to be completed by March 2023

Gov. Steve Beshear joined company and community officials Tuesday in Hickory to announce the expansion of Remington Arms Company, one of the largest domestic producers of shotguns and rifles. The company will add 100 new jobs to the Graves County facility and invest $5 million as a result of the project over the next three years

“Kentucky is proud to partner with Remington, a longstanding corporate citizen, on this significant expansion,” said Gov. Beshear. “The creation of 100 new jobs and a $5 million investment in the Commonwealth will have a tremendous impact and is a testament to our ongoing commitment to support our existing industries.”

Founded in 1816, Remington is one of the nation’s oldest continuously operating manufacturers of shotguns and rifles. The company operates multiple manufacturing facilities within the United States and performs all significant R&D at its facility in Elizabethtown, Ky. Remington, which currently employs 91 Kentuckians in Hickory, plans to add 30,000 square feet to its existing 44,000 square-foot facility to accommodate the relocation of certain rifle production lines from Connecticut.

“Remington’s current operations in the Commonwealth contributed $33 million in Gross State Product in 2009, supporting a total of 268 full-time, permanent jobs, generating nearly $10 million in annual compensation for Kentucky residents and more than $3.7 million in state and local tax revenues,” said Joe Gross, COO of Freedom Group, the parent company of Remington Arms. “We are pleased to be in a position to further our investment in Kentucky to take advantage of the highly productive local workforce and the state’s business-friendly environment. On behalf of Remington Arms and its parent company, the Freedom Group, I would like to thank state and local officials for listening and responding quickly to our site selection and expansion issues. Their willingness to meet our ambitious time frame demonstrates their sensitivity to today’s intensely competitive business environment and their sincere interest in building the economy of western Kentucky.”

Contracts have dates. It's not like, "okay we'll get right on them in 3 years after we move, build a new plant and retool, get all our new employees and logistics in place" and whatnot.

- OS

Precisely why I didn't propose a timeline. :) They made absolutely no effort whatsoever to resist this garbage going on in NY.

Dave, it's not because the state passed laws, its because Remington is perfectly fine with it.

Guest nra37922

It is only a $80 million dollar contract we are talking about.  Surely a State wide campaign here in TN alone could be started to raise that money as a incentive for Remington to move.