How ya gonna build your TGO billet lower?

All lengths can come in pistol gas. But if you want a short barrel I would go 9". I have a 10.5" which shoots really good, but could have gotten close velocities and saved weight with a 9". Velocity is pretty negligible for each 1" in barrel length.

You can run any length barrel you like, he's referring to a pistol length gas system.

That's good to know. I'd like a 16" barrel, but that doesn't appear to be very common with a pistol length system. I'll do some more searching.

There is no such thing as a midlength when it comes to the 300 although that would remove a lot of the problems out there.

A pistol length gas system will cycle with subsonics or low powered loads even without a suppressor. A carbine length system is hit or miss at best unless you install non standard parts like lightweight buffers or lightweight recoil springs. With a carbine length gas system you are going to be stuck with a few kinds of powders and a few kinds of bullets at best. At worst they might not work at all.

If you want the most flexibility you want a pistol length system. I can use a very wide variety of powders. I have used Lil'Gun, N110, H4227, A1680, H4198, A2015, SMP842 and A1680 to shoot both subs and supers in my gun. The gun cycles perfectly and the only variable is that some powders have lower velocities than others but they ALL cycle reliably. I can shoot 180's at subsonic velocities as well as 245 grain cast bullets at under 800 fps. And I do not need special buffers or springs, just what any 5.56 lower comes with. I have joked that I bet my gun will cycle with blackpowder. I need to get some to try.

With a pistol length gas system you can use an adjustable gas block to artificially lengthen the gas system but you cannot artificially shorten the carbine gas system.

I will make this offer to anyone considering building or buying a 300 Blackout. Contact me first so we can make sure you are successful the first time. Prices are crazy right now and there is no sense in spending a ton of money only to be frustrated.

Some of those loads should be called the 300 DOLOMITE :). You have turned it back into a wildcat :)

• Like 1

A 22LR upper is tempting for this. Is there a more economical option for a good trigger than a Geissele?

Try the Dolomite kit with a lower powered hammer spring. I normally use the Geissele triggers.

+1 on this i have a cmmg parts kit in my cmt billet lower with the dolomite kit and it breaks like my remington 700 .308 no creep at all.

Guest 6.8 AR

It really depends on what barrels are available. I may try a Blackout, this time. If not, it will have a Noveske

barrel in 5.56. I have most of the stuff already available

It really depends on what barrels are available. I may try a Blackout, this time. If not, it will have a Noveske

barrel in 5.56. I have most of the stuff already available

6.8  if you have built an AR before, I may ask for your assistance with this project since you live local.

Dave S

Guest 6.8 AR

6.8  if you have built an AR before, I may ask for your assistance with this project since you live local.

Dave S

Piece of cake, Dave. Be glad to.

I am probably going to build a dedicated 22lr and I was thinking more of a general varmint rifle 18" barrel with 1/8 twist for 5.56. Quick question, can I or should I run a rifle length gas system on a 18 inch barrel varmint rifle? Probably will be running 62 to 69 grain match kings. I was thinking that a rifle length will lessen the recoil for quicker follow up shots but I may be wrong. I just wanted to make sure it will still cycle fine with that length of barrel and so forth. 

I haven't completely ruled out a pistol caliber. Either a blow back 9mm or a gas driven ?? I've been wanting to build a gas driven 357 Sig for a long time. I could use a pistol length gas system and a 6.8 SPC bolt for the 357 sig and it should run like a raped ape. Problem is feeding it. Not ammo but magazines. Jeez ARs look goofy with dinky stick magazines hanging straight down.

I haven't completely ruled out a pistol caliber. Either a blow back 9mm or a gas driven ?? I've been wanting to build a gas driven 357 Sig for a long time. I could use a pistol length gas system and a 6.8 SPC bolt for the 357 sig and it should run like a raped ape. Problem is feeding it. Not ammo but magazines. Jeez ARs look goofy with dinky stick magazines hanging straight down.

Just a necked down 40 s&w. Here's one...

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=592

Does anyone have an opinion of these kits? What would it take to put one together?

http://www.rguns.net/gunparts/rifle-parts-AR-partskits.shtml

I'm curious about the top one in particular.

Far from an expert here, but don't see why it wouldn't be at least an adequate quality build. Never heard Rgun stuff dissed as being particularly subpar, and lots of folks run one of their BCGs.

What you'd need is basically just a barrel nut/castle nut wrench. Blocks to hold upper and lower in a  vise makes things much easier, but not totally mandatory, especially the lower, I've done 3 lowers without any special tools at all. You could probably get a TGOer to help you put barrel/gas tube in and likely not even need to buy a wrench either. Everything you need to know is well documented in tons of YouTube vids if you choose to tackle it all yourself.

One of the biggest hurdles with assembly is already done for you: drilling/pinning the gas block sight base, or at least I guess it is, since it shows already on the barrel, you'd want to confirm that. Lots of folks farm that job out anyway, if they don't have drill press and expertise to do it.

Only thing about Rguns is that they may seem to have a different definition of "in stock" than many other companies, and current chatter suggests you might not be getting that kit anytime soon, so you'd need to confirm that before committing the bucks (dunno if they charge you from the gitgo, or when it ships).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Only thing about Rguns is that they may seem to have a different definition of "in stock" than many other companies, and current chatter suggests you might not be getting that kit anytime soon, so you'd need to confirm that before committing the bucks (dunno if they charge you from the gitgo, or when it ships).

- OS

...and they gots lots of whores in their calendar to keep the bros occupied while you check your order status.