How ya gonna build your TGO billet lower?

I have not fired mine yet but I can recommend red x uppers for build quality, price and projected ship time.
Ordered 1/29 came in 4/08 my 7.5 pistol upper with sights/rail covers came in at 375.00 shipped I think the base upper was 325.00.
Likewise I ordered a bcg and pistol buffer from Rguns the same day 1/29 and have not seen a ship notice yet.

I will tell you I have tried to build 2 ar-15s since sandyhook
Companies that have gained my support.

Cmt tactical
PSA
Red x
Core15
Brownells
Midway
Quantico tactical
Joebobsoutfitters
Primary arms
Cabelas

Companies that I will avoid
Vtsupply (Valhalla tactical)
I ordered an Adams arms upper from them on 12/19 sent a follow up email a day later to confirm their inventory was live they said it was. Have emailed them multiple times the owner gave the run around and finally admitted he is having trouble getting the upper from the manufacture (also they jumped prices on every product by 25% 3days after my order)

Rguns no communication and missed their projected ship time.

Hope this helps anyone planning on a build in the post panic world.

I know there are awesome companies stepping up right now but I only listed the places I placed orders with.

Man I can't decide what to do.  I think I might need to get a 2nd lower to build my wife one as well.  I will probably go .22LR on hers.  I like to march to the beat of a different drum myself.  I would like to know more about the 300BLK, it sounds appealing to me.  I like the idea of the .458 but it is probably a little excessive for what I want to do and I've heard that the recoil is rather obnoxious, not usually something I'm very concerned about but that is a heavy load for such a light weight rifle.  I've even toyed with the idea of doing 9mm, .40, or .45 just because I have the stuff to reload for those calibers.  However pistol calibers would likely render the rifle to the safe for deer season, although I have plenty of dedicated deer guns I would get a certain amount of satisfaction taking a deer with a rifle that I built.  Realistically I would like a caliber that is big enough to take deer sized game adequately (yes I know that it can be done with a Daisy Red Ryder if the shot placement is correct.)  I need a caliber that is economical to reload because I want to actually get to shoot it.  

• Administrator

I'm building mine with matching uppers, matching limited-edition Magpul furniture, matching mags and matching ammo ... but I am using an off-brand fire selector switch finished in neon green as the pièce de résistance to show my OCD who's boss.

• Like 2

300 BLK out or 7.62x39. Leaning right now toward the 7.62x39.

Dave S

Don't forget that an AR has a straight mag well that can cause problems with the 7.62 x 39. 300 blk is a great caliber, and has the same basic ballistics. If you reload, I can't see a difference in ammo cost either. 

Don't forget that an AR has a straight mag well that can cause problems with the 7.62 x 39. 300 blk is a great caliber, and has the same basic ballistics. If you reload, I can't see a difference in ammo cost either. 

Yes, I do reload. I didn't realize the 7.62 would be an issue. I'm new to this AR thing. I'll take all the advice I can get!

Dave S

Yes, I do reload. I didn't realize the 7.62 would be an issue. I'm new to this AR thing. I'll take all the advice I can get!

Dave S

Blackout is a joy to reload, and you can make the brass from .223 brass. Most of my blackout brass came from Lake City 5.56 cases that had dinged up necks from when they pulled the bullets. Since they're .223 cases, stock mags and bolts work. It's just a great caliber for the AR.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest Keal G Seo

Quick hijack here: I don't reload...yet. I plan on getting set up in 5 years or so, very limited budget. I am in on the lowers though. Couldn't pass up the deal. Would the 300BLK be a viable option for me since I don't reload or would I be better off sticking with something like 5.56? (I also plan on doing a .22 upper for plinking eventually.)

Quick hijack here: I don't reload...yet. I plan on getting set up in 5 years or so, very limited budget. I am in on the lowers though. Couldn't pass up the deal. Would the 300BLK be a viable option for me since I don't reload or would I be better off sticking with something like 5.56? (I also plan on doing a .22 upper for plinking eventually.)

There's a lot of factory ammo available if you're not in the middle of an ammo shortage. It's more expensive than 223. Bigger bullets = bigger price. Same deal with reloading.

Since you dont reload yet I would suggest 223/556 and save your brass. Once you start reloading you will have all the brass you need and 300BLK is pretty much a barrel swap away.

I'm thinking something bigger than .223, but still flat and fast, so that leads me to think a 20" barreled in either .243 WIN or 6.5.  I haven't even started doing the reading, but all I really want is a fun to shoot at moderate distance (e.g. 200 yds.) rifle that could be used to cleanly harvest the occasional deer, should I choose to do so.

/note to everybody - when you take a 2nd shift job, make sure there's a 3rd shift...otherwise you may end up getting home real late and posting at 5:45 in the morning on the way to bed.  The More You Know...

I'm thinking something bigger than .223, but still flat and fast, so that leads me to think a 20" barreled in either .243 WIN ....

Sorry, but you won't be doing .243 Win from an AR-15 lower. Have to start with AR-10 one. (cartridge much too long).

- OS