The person hitting the rear of another isn't always at fault. If it can be proven that the person in front intentionally caused the accident then they will be at fault. And acting on someone else's signal is not a defense either. If you cause an accident based on someone else's signal then you are at fault. If a person has a right turn signal on and you pull out in front of them thinking they are turning and you are hit it is your fault, not the fault of the person with the signal on.

My wife drives the speed limit all the time. On the interstate people probably get upset but as long as she is doing the speed limit she is not breaking the law no matter how much the traffic backs up behind her. We don't care if the flow is doing 75 mph, if the speed limit says 55 mph that is what we are going to do. We don't care how many people are behind us or how upset they are we are not going to break the law or drive in a manner we feel is unsafe for anyone. And for those who do get upset and decide to pull up next to us we generally ignore them.

On highways with a speed limit of 70 you can legally reduce your speed to 55 without breaking the law.

• Like 3
The way I look at it is this. Someone is already late getting somewhere so they've already made their first mistake. Knowing this, chances are it will not be there last mistake.

First, do you want to be around when this happens? Do you want to be the aggravator of this potentially fatal incident and have that on your conscious? I'm not just looking out for myself. I'm talking about the innocent mom with her kids in a mini van coming in the opposite direction. I'm talking about 10 minutes down the road when this angry idiot driver blows a red light and kills someone. You may never even hear about it and it won't be your fault but you contributed to this unecessarily. You're a sick person.

I'm not a slowpoke but I dont make a point to speed either. I always stay out of the way of faster or reckless drivers. I take driving very seriously just like a trip to the gun range. Be responsible!
  • Like 2

First, do you want to be around when this happens? Do you want to be the aggravator of this potentially fatal incident and have that on your conscious? I'm not just looking out for myself. I'm talking about the innocent mom with her kids in a mini van coming in the opposite direction. I'm talking about 10 minutes down the road when this angry idiot driver blows a red light and kills someone. You may never even hear about it and it won't be your fault but you contributed to this unecessarily. You're a sick person.

That's pretty abstract. I've said and will say again, I can not, nor will I attempt to control the irrational and illegal behavior of others. The same could be said about all kinds of things. Crazy people get laid off all the time, then end up going on a shooting spree in their former work place. Should that really be on the conscience of the person who canned them? I don't believe so.

Another example is my batsh** crazy neighbor who I pressed charges against. He then blamed me for losing his job and costing him so much money in lawyer fees that he could no longer support his kids' college education and would have a hard time providing for his family. Is it my fault his family starves? No. He shouldn't have acted like a lunatic and committed a violent, unprovoked act. This man and his family still blames me. I don't care. If they end up on the street it is not my fault and I won't give one sh**.

On the road if someone wants to drive like an ass I will respond by slowing down. If that is the thing that drives them over the edge it is pretty abstract for me to assume any blame for that. People are accountable and responsible for their own actions. There is no justification for doing something illegal and dangerous just because someone pissed you off. I will not live my life concerned about pissing off crazy and irrational people. I'm am in no way accountable for their behavior.
Guest SWirish24

The person hitting the rear of another isn't always at fault. If it can be proven that the person in front intentionally caused the accident then they will be at fault. And acting on someone else's signal is not a defense either. If you cause an accident based on someone else's signal then you are at fault. If a person has a right turn signal on and you pull out in front of them thinking they are turning and you are hit it is your fault, not the fault of the person with the signal on.

My wife drives the speed limit all the time. On the interstate people probably get upset but as long as she is doing the speed limit she is not breaking the law no matter how much the traffic backs up behind her. We don't care if the flow is doing 75 mph, if the speed limit says 55 mph that is what we are going to do. We don't care how many people are behind us or how upset they are we are not going to break the law or drive in a manner we feel is unsafe for anyone. And for those who do get upset and decide to pull up next to us we generally ignore them.

On highways with a speed limit of 70 you can legally reduce your speed to 55 without breaking the law.

Dolomite, I'm obviously somewhat new here, but are you an attorney? You are making some conclusory statements in your first paragraph. TN uses a comparative fault tort standard, which parallels other state contributory negligence standards.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) summarizes Tennessee mimimum speed laws on highways as follows (all taken from Tennesse Code Annotated):

I. No person shall operate a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. '55-8-154(a)
II. On interstate and four-lane controlled-access highways, it is unlawful for a person to operate a motor vehicle in the left lane at a speed <55 MPH.

'55-8-152(d)
III. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
'55-8-115(

Although this supports your comment that one may drive as low as 55mph, this may not be performed in the left hand lane. And, combining with III, it should be done in the right-most lane.

Again, my point as articulated in my two prior posts is this: you are all TN handgun carry permit holders (assuming this, considering that is what this forum is dedicated to). As such, you have a tremendous responsibility to act with great care, for any situation you are involved in can turn deadly. When driving, it is not about "what I can do without breaking the law" or whether you "feel they are driving in an unsafe manner." In fact, you may be contributing to the unsafe scenario simply by blocking them in and making them wait. Move aside, let them pass at the first possible opportunity. It will make your day, and theirs, proceed smoother. Holster your righteous indignation that someone else is breaking the law. As another poster above stated, simply smile to yourself when that aggressive fellow is being ticketed by police a mile down the road.

Edited by SWirish24

Again, my point as articulated in my two prior posts is this: you are all TN handgun carry permit holders (assuming this, considering that is what this forum is dedicated to). As such, you have a tremendous responsibility to act with great care, for any situation you are involved in can turn deadly. When driving, it is not about "what I can do without breaking the law" or whether you "feel they are driving in an unsafe manner." In fact, you may be contributing to the unsafe scenario simply by blocking them in and making them wait. Move aside, let them pass at the first possible opportunity. It will make your day, and theirs, proceed smoother. Holster your righteous indignation that someone else is breaking the law. As another poster above stated, simply smile to yourself when that aggressive fellow is being ticketed by police a mile down the road.

"righteous indignation"? You really don't understand the point some of us are making.

I'm an incredibly courteous driver. When on the interstate I wait for faster vehicles to clear the passing lane before I get over to pass. When somebody driving faster gets behind me I move over the first chance I get. However, if I'm actively passing and someone gets right on my bumper at 80mph I am going to react to that by slowing down, not speeding up. I don't fancy being rear ended at 80 mph, so I will slow down to a more manageble speed. The side effect of that being pissing off the unsafe driver is a bonus.

I don't see how carrying a firearm has anything to do with that. If, in your world, slowing down to counter the unsafe act of riding my bumper is an act of provokation worthy of a violent response, then perhaps you are the one who shouldn't be carrying a weapon.

Once again, you keep bringing up the interstate here as if those are the only roads in Tennessee. I rarely go on the interstate. Most these tailgaters I deal with are white trash within my city on these two lane country roads, where there is no shoulder to pull over on nor ability to pass. Furthermore, I WILL NOT pull over in response to an aggressive driver since that could be interpreted as an invitation for a roadside fight. The last instance of an individual tailgating me was on a small country road near my house. The posted speed limit is 30mph and I was going between 35-40mph. Cops are known to stake out the bottom of the hill for speeders. This individual was probably doing 50mph when he came inches off my bumper. I slowed down to 20 mph in response. I don't see how speeding up and breaking the law would be an acceptable solution, nor did I feel comfortable continuing at 30-40 mph with a dangerous vehicle on my rear with my kids in the car. If that is somehow a problem for people like you I assume you fit into the category of impatient and dangerous drivers which is why you have the ass about folks like me.
  • Like 1
Well, from some of the comments that I have read in this forum over the years I know that most of you are aware that the fine young men of Memphis and Shelby County don't really need a valid reason to discharge a weapon. That being said, I attempt to avoid any road rage incidents. Regardless if I'm right or wrong, in most instances I will give you what you want on the road. I'm never in a rush. I get to every destination 30 minutes to a hour early, including work.

Memphis has more than its fair share of bad drivers and someone is always doing something stupid. I assume that every driver is armed and I behave accordingly. I recently had a head bobber intentionally swerve in front of me, slow down, move back to his original lane and smile at me while bobbing his head to the earth shattering bass coming from his trunk. I acknowledged him by nodding my head, he laughed and sped off.

I will always defend myself, but I'm a peace maker. Outside of the internet I'll always do whatever is necessary to avoid conflict/confrontation. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 1

Well, from some of the comments that I have read in this forum over the years I know that most of you are aware that the fine young men of Memphis and Shelby County don't really need a valid reason to discharge a weapon. That being said, I attempt to avoid any road rage incidents. Regardless if I'm right or wrong, in most instances I will give you what you want on the road. I'm never in a rush. I get to every destination 30 minutes to a hour early, including work.

Memphis has more than its fair share of bad drivers and someone is always doing something stupid. I assume that every driver is armed and I behave accordingly. I recently had a head bobber intentionally swerve in front of me, slow down, move back to his original lane and smile at me while bobbing his head to the earth shattering bass coming from his trunk. I acknowledged him by nodding my head, he laughed and sped off.

I will always defend myself, but I'm a peace maker. Outside of the internet I'll always do whatever is necessary to avoid conflict/confrontation.

You may be a peace maker in the real world, but I'm glad you mix it up on here.

• Like 1

Anybody who purposely sits in the passing lane on a multi-lane highway/interstate when they CAN be in the right hand or right-most lane is simply being an ass (and may well be breaking the law while they are at it). I don't care if they are driving "45", "55" the "speed limit" or 20MPH over the speed limit.

They may "feel" they have a right to do so or maybe they are a cop want-a-be who think they need to enforce the speed limit or they may just be stupid or preoccupied with the latest tweet from their twit friends but whatever, unless they need to be in the passing lane to pass slower traffic they need to get out of the way.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2

Anybody who purposely sits in the passing lane on a multi-lane highway/interstate when they CAN be in the right hand or right-most lane is simply being an ass (and may well be breaking the law while they are at it). I don't care if they are driving "45", "55" the "speed limit" or 20MPH over the speed limit.

They may "feel" they have a right to do so or maybe they are a cop want-a-be who think they need to enforce the speed limit or they may just be stupid or preoccupied with the latest tweet from their twit friends but whatever, unless they need to be in the passing lane to pass slower traffic they need to get out of the way.

I think Kentucky will actually pull you over for riding in the left lane.

I think Kentucky will actually pull you over for riding in the left lane.

Yes they will...they are one of the several states that go beyond the Uniform Vehicle Code, which says a car driving below the "normal speed of traffic" should be driven in the right-hand lane. Because that code indicates "normal speed" instead of saying "speed limit" a driver going above the speed limit but slower than most traffic is still in the wrong.

KY will ticket you and I've seen that enforced many times (as I travel between Nashville and Columbus OH frequently).

Guest SWirish24

"righteous indignation"? You really don't understand the point some of us are making.

I'm an incredibly courteous driver. When on the interstate I wait for faster vehicles to clear the passing lane before I get over to pass. When somebody driving faster gets behind me I move over the first chance I get. However, if I'm actively passing and someone gets right on my bumper at 80mph I am going to react to that by slowing down, not speeding up. I don't fancy being rear ended at 80 mph, so I will slow down to a more manageble speed. The side effect of that being pissing off the unsafe driver is a bonus.

I don't see how carrying a firearm has anything to do with that. If, in your world, slowing down to counter the unsafe act of riding my bumper is an act of provokation worthy of a violent response, then perhaps you are the one who shouldn't be carrying a weapon.

Once again, you keep bringing up the interstate here as if those are the only roads in Tennessee. I rarely go on the interstate. Most these tailgaters I deal with are white trash within my city on these two lane country roads, where there is no shoulder to pull over on nor ability to pass. Furthermore, I WILL NOT pull over in response to an aggressive driver since that could be interpreted as an invitation for a roadside fight. The last instance of an individual tailgating me was on a small country road near my house. The posted speed limit is 30mph and I was going between 35-40mph. Cops are known to stake out the bottom of the hill for speeders. This individual was probably doing 50mph when he came inches off my bumper. I slowed down to 20 mph in response. I don't see how speeding up and breaking the law would be an acceptable solution, nor did I feel comfortable continuing at 30-40 mph with a dangerous vehicle on my rear with my kids in the car. If that is somehow a problem for people like you I assume you fit into the category of impatient and dangerous drivers which is why you have the ass about folks like me.

TMF, just a couple points. I apologize if the "righteous indignation" comment was out of line. Perhaps too dramatic. That being said, at least quote my entire post and respond to the valid points I have made regarding deescaling the situation by being courteous. Instead you have continued to cubbyhole your scenario into two possible situations:

a.) if you are actively passing another vehicle (after you admittedly allowed faster vehicles to clear) and you slow down ("However, if I'm actively passing and someone gets right on my bumper at 80mph I am going to react to that by slowing down, not speeding up."), then you ARE exhibiting road rage yourself. It becomes discourteous and unsafe. Complete your pass at the speed you would normally. Why speed down just to spite him? He isn't going to drive right into you.

b.) on two lane "country roads" with "white trash." Casting aside the racial epithet, your anecdotal scenario is limited. Even on rural roads like you describe I find there are plenty of ways to pull slightly onto the shoulder and wave the other driver around. Pulling over does not invite confrontation (you are, after all, still in your vehicle).

I am not trying to make this personal (though you clearly are by suggesting I condone violent encounters [and at no point in any of my posts have I said anything to that effect-- I merely pointed out it is a possibility that should be avoided]), I only hope that as you are driving along consider relaxing for a moment and realizing perhaps this "lawbreaker" and "crazy person" is not out to get you. Who knows... perhaps it's just a guy trying to get to the hospital in an emergency (after all, you drive country roads, emergency response times cannot be that fast).

Just food for thought. I appreciate the civil, literate, and reasoned discourse.

That's pretty abstract. I've said and will say again, I can not, nor will I attempt to control the irrational and illegal behavior of others. The same could be said about all kinds of things. Crazy people get laid off all the time, then end up going on a shooting spree in their former work place. Should that really be on the conscience of the person who canned them? I don't believe so.

That's not what I said at all. The behavior of others is not under your control and obviously not your responsibility.

I was referring to the people in this thread who stated that they purposely used their vehicle as a tool with the intent of further aggravating other drivers. I'm trying to stress the fact that an automobile is an extremely dangerous device. It kills nearly 3 times more people every year than all firearm related deaths. It's an inherently dangerous activity that people take for granted and it doesn't need to be made worse than it already is.

If you get a certain level of gratification from instigating already irrational people - consider the potentially fatal consequences for other innocent people out there instead of thinking only of yourself. It's like volunteering for a suicide hotline and pissing off suicidal callers. Try to be the better person and you might just help to keep the roads a little safer.

• Like 1

That's not what I said at all. The behavior of others is not under your control and obviously not your responsibility.

I was referring to the people in this thread who stated that they purposely used their vehicle as a tool with the intent of further aggravating other drivers. I'm trying to stress the fact that an automobile is an extremely dangerous device. It kills nearly 3 times more people every year than all firearm related deaths. It's an inherently dangerous activity that people take for granted and it doesn't need to be made worse than it already is.

If you get a certain level of gratification from instigating already irrational people - consider the potentially fatal consequences for other innocent people out there instead of thinking only of yourself. It's like volunteering for a suicide hotline and pissing off suicidal callers. Try to be the better person and you might just help to keep the roads a little safer.

First, we've established the left lane on a two+ lane road is for passing and not to ride in.  If in that lane and a vehicle approaches, move over when safe to do so.

Second, on a road with a single lane, I slow to the speed limit when tail gated.  This happens in my housing area frequently.  The speed limit is 30, not 45 or more.  With my cruise set at 30, it is irrelevant how pissed the guy behind me is.  It is also not my problem or concern what he does dangerously later.  That is absolutely his responsibility.  Shifting blame of responsibility to other people is wrong.  If I am late and trying to speed but can't because of traffic, I can't say later when I wreck and kill some kid that it is the fault of the guy going too slow because he made me more upset and more late.  It is still my responsibility.

I understand the point you are trying to make, I just think it is invalid.  Yes you can kill someone by being stupid in your vehicle.  No it is not the guy's fault that went too slow and made me late so I sped more and wrecked.

• Like 1

Nothing you described is what I consider driving stupid so I don't even know how we differ. I never condoned speeding to make people happy. I have an invalid argument? Ok. You do, too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I was referring to brake checks and illegally driving under the speed limit solely for the purposes of exacting personal vengeance. I don't know why people keep accusing me of transferring blame or responsibility. Trust me - I'm not one those spoons made me fat people and OBVIOUSLY not one of those guns kill people types.

Drive safely, drive legally, drive courteously. This does not include slamming on your brakes or going 15 under the speed limit. I'm simply suggesting that people make the choice to mitigate the situation instead of aggravating it.

You know what's worse? Following the two jerks playing that game.

Edited by w0lfattack
  • Like 2

Maybe invalid was too strong.  Two wrongs are still wrong, so I agree.  I just think once you are removed from the situation, whatever the guy does later on is still his fault and his responsibility, that's all. 

Legally, yeah. Morally - your mileage may vary. Personally, I just try to do the best I can.

Personally, I'd feel like $hit if I brake checked somebody and they illegally passed around me and slammed into a church van full of kids and killed them all. But that's just me. (That is the kind of situation I've been trying to refer to)

Legally, yeah. Morally - your mileage may vary. Personally, I just try to do the best I can.

Personally, I'd feel like $hit if I brake checked somebody and they illegally passed around me and slammed into a church van full of kids and killed them all. But that's just me. (That is the kind of situation I've been trying to refer to)

I'm going to hell because I laughed at that.

I'm going to hell because I laughed at that.

Speaking of which, when is your next road trip to Memphis?!?

Wave as you pass through! On second thought, don't. As discussed, some here may shoot back!

I was meaning driving in TN. GA drivers pass going 85-90 all the time. But i guess they are in a hurry there.

If you drive 75 in GA especially Atlanta and the surrounding areas you will get run over. Sometimes safety is to flow with traffic regardless of speed.

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

I do have a few pet peeves about some drivers though. One is when cars pass me, only to pull in front of me, slow down and have to make a left turn. When people "hog" the passing lane going the speed limit or slower. ( I guess they think the fast lane is their own private lane). And when these semi truck drivers hog both lanes on the interstate, going the same speed and won't let you pass. None of this is worth getting angry over but it sure makes me wonder what is going thru their minds( if they even have one).

• Like 1
I try to practice Road Relax, I drive a lot and I refuse to let what others do get under my skin. We choose what we let offend us. I try to be someone that is very hard to offend. Life is to short.

When driving on a 4 lane I will move over from the left lane if I see someone coming up driving faster than I am. On a 2 lane if I cannot get out of the way and they are dangerously close I may hit my left turn signal and that will back them off, still if not no big deal. I have been in a car where the driver hit his brakes and the car behind us hit us. The driver of the car I was in was ticketed for causing the accident.

Things happen! I have made mistakes behind the wheel so I do not get to excited when others do. I do get amused by others flipping someone off, like that is supposed to hurt or something. I want to hold up my hands a say please no not the finger it just hurts to much. Keep in mind you never know what the other person is going through. Maybe they have a good reason to be upset or in a hurry.
  • Like 1