Guest Smitty

The tailgaters are a huge pet peeve of mine because of all of the reasons already stated.  What gets me the most is on the highways and interstates is the big rigs passing each other slowly as pointed out.  It always annoys the crap out of me when you are approaching two big rigs about to go up a steep grade, and the truck behind the slower one pulls out in front of you  trying to pass the slower truck while you are in the fast lane up the steep grade!  I don't understand why they wouldn't wait 5 to 10 seconds for me to pass both of them, and then he can pass the slower truck.  Don't the truckers know you go slower up hill due to gravity and their heavy loads?  I couldn't understand their thought processes when it comes to this situation, and there's long line of passenger vehicles getting mad like me over this.  As for the tailgaters and road ragers, I generally just slow down gradually until they back off.  It's not my fault they are in a hurry to get somewhere for whatever reason, and I won't be getting a speeding ticket for them just because they want to do 80+ mph on the interstate all the time.  I was given the middle finger one time by some punk after traveling at 55 mph (which is the speed limit) on a two lane, undivied highway after a tailgater passed me just because they wanted to go faster I guess.  Who knows what people are thinking, but I don't let them get to me because I know better.  Plus, like some previous posts say, they better be careful because people are legally packing heat such as myself.  Luckily, I haven't got into any confrontations or altercations because of road rage.  Be calm and stay safe out on the roads!

Edited by Smitty

Smitty, As for the big rigs not wanting to wait for you to pass them. They drive some of the biggest vehicles on the roads, What do they care about us little guys driving "fourwheelers"?  They'll do what they want because nobody except maybe a state trooper, is going to be able to do anything about it.

If people want to pass, let them pass. If they have to make a big stink about you going the speed limit and they can't pass you for some reason, They are the problem, not you. They can give all the middle fingers out they want, still like the kids on the schoolyards said behind every "bird" is a pile of Crap.

Tailgaters i'm not a fan of. Especially those driving these lifted trucks and having those overly bright ( blue) headlights that have to shine into my side mirrors. I usually laugh at them when they have to stop for gas a lot more often than I do.

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

Slower traffic keep right *still* applies and you are obstructing the flow of traffic.

I used to tell this to my uncle all the time. It don't matter if you're doin' the speed limit. If you're not about to hang a left you should be in the right lane. If ya don't wanna speed up any then "ease" back and fall in line. The "old" drivers handbook used to state, as well, that regardless of traffic speed, even if it's above posted limits you should merge into traffic at as close to the prevelent speed as possible, so as not to obstruct the flow of traffic purely out of safety. Ease down after you're out there, if need be. You don't see that in the handbook, anymore, I think.

Slower traffic keep right *still* applies and you are obstructing the flow of traffic.

I used to tell this to my uncle all the time. It don't matter if you're doin' the speed limit. If you're not about to hang a left you should be in the right lane. If ya don't wanna speed up any then "ease" back and fall in line. The "old" drivers handbook used to state, as well, that regardless of traffic speed, even if it's above posted limits you should merge into traffic at as close to the prevelent speed as possible, so as not to obstruct the flow of traffic purely out of safety. Ease down after you're out there, if need be. You don't see that in the handbook, anymore, I think.

The problem is that these impatient, non-driving tailgaters don't care what lane you're in. And once again, there are more roads out there than just interstates. I just drove across three states a few weeks back and dealt with every kind of moron on the road. The tailgaters are amongst the worse. I still, for the life of me, can't understand how there are grown adults here that defend such actions (because the are likely offenders themselves). I drive a pretty normal speed, and will make sure to stay out of the passing lane unless I'm passing, but these aholes can not be avoided and the only recourse is to slow down about 20mph so that they either pass or have a massive coronary because they are flipping out like little girls in my rear view.
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I was on my way to work ( in manchester) and i go down hwy 55( four lane/55mph road) ok. So i'm in the passing lane trying to pass one guy and all the while there is a lady in front of me going the same speed as the guy in the right ( slow) lane. I flash my lights as to pass and she freaks out( I saw a middle finger) and she eventually gets over in a turn lane and i go by. Nothing big, all i wanted was to get by her( she and the other guy were both going 50mph). And in turn she starts following me. I'm thinking to myself I'm just going to go to work as I want to get there early just in case. Have no time to go by the Manchester police station. Which is where i would have gone had it been a big burly guy.

If any LE is reading this, I wishyou guys/gals could crack down on the "impeeding traffic" violators. Blocking the lanes and not allowing people to pass is another peeve of mine. All it takes is to speedup a little and pass the slower driver. No getting upset cause someone flashed you. Am I right?

Ok, I was on my way to work ( in manchester) and i go down hwy 55( four lane/55mph road) ok. So i'm in the passing lane trying to pass one guy and all the while there is a lady in front of me going the same speed as the guy in the right ( slow) lane. I flash my lights as to pass and she freaks out( I saw a middle finger) and she eventually gets over in a turn lane and i go by. Nothing big, all i wanted was to get by her( she and the other guy were both going 50mph). And in turn she starts following me. I'm thinking to myself I'm just going to go to work as I want to get there early just in case. Have no time to go by the Manchester police station. Which is where i would have gone had it been a big burly guy.

If any LE is reading this, I wishyou guys/gals could crack down on the "impeeding traffic" violators. Blocking the lanes and not allowing people to pass is another peeve of mine. All it takes is to speedup a little and pass the slower driver. No getting upset cause someone flashed you. Am I right?

You forget this is TN.  The left lane isn't for passing, it's for riding along next to the car in the right lane.

Some of these people should take a European vacation.  They'll get an idea of what the left lane is for real quick.