Large dog toys

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest Keal G Seo

Any of you know of any good and pretty darn tough toys for dogs? I have a boxer and boxer mastiff. Curiously the smaller boxer is the one always tears up the toys. Soft squeakers are dead in about 5 minutes, tennis balls in about an hour, rawhide same day and the chews that are supposed to last about 3 months and it takes her about 3 hours. Have even given her full sized cow femurs and she just destroys them. The only thing I have found that will last any amount of time is deer antlers but am afraid she will get to running with it one day and impale herself.

Appreciate it in advance.
Keal

I used to have a 150# rottweiler - I gave her 2x4's... she chewed them fast but face it, there was plenty of it. I made the mistake of giving her a deer femur once - just the sound of her crushing that bone made me have chili's so badly it disappeared into the backyard!

Most of the toys made by Kong are great!

Can't remember the name of them but they are made out of old firehoses and are quite durable.  My feist doesn't tear them up but he seems to tear up most everything else.  Don't know how durable it would be with a dog of your caliber.

Can't offer any advice for you, but I'll happily check out the Kong toys for my Border Collie/Aussie Shepard mix. Molly takes spells with her toys. some have lasted for months, some don't survive 10 minutes when she gets them.

We've been getting large stuffed toys and the like at yard sales at 25 cents to a dollar apiece. Since we never know what she will do with one, that's about all we spend on them.

Heavy-duty rope dog toys are about the only dog toys that stays intact more than a few minutes in my house, thankfully my dog loves playing with them.

I try to avoid getting the rope toys that have plastic or rubber doohickies on them, mostly because I hate picking up all of the little pieces of them after they are shredded off of the ropes ... Edited by RichardR
I've tried them all it seems.

Can't remember the name of them but they are made out of old firehoses and are quite durable.  My feist doesn't tear them up but he seems to tear up most everything else.  Don't know how durable it would be with a dog of your caliber.

The firehose toys are tough, but my stubborn ass Olde English Bulldog goes after the seams. The material itself holds up well though.

get the black color kong toys. The black are the strongest.

^^this

The black Kong toys are expensive, but they last for 3 or 4 months.

The red Kong toys are okay, but my American Bulldog has no trouble shredding them in a week or 2.

Heavy-duty rope dog toys are about the only dog toys that stays intact more than a few minutes in my house, thankfully my dog loves playing with them.
I try to avoid getting the rope toys that have plastic or rubber doohickies on them, mostly because I hate picking up all of the little pieces of them after they are shredded off of the ropes ...

and ^^^this

I think these are the best. I have rope toys that have lasted for years, even though the rubber handles and such are long gone. Edited by BigK
Fire hose with plastic inside bottle lasted two Jacks about a month. But then again, these dogs are crack on legs. Radiator hose worked well for a while too. The hardware store should have some lengths of different hoses to try.

My English Bulldog chews on a Black Kong (There is a dirty joke in there, I know it.)

I buy them off Amazon in sets for two.  When he starts on the second one I order 2 more.  I don't really have a time frame for how long they last but compared to the Red ones I got him first it is much much longer.  He can destroy a red one in a week.

Also when the ends start getting shredded I take a knife and cut it off and give it back to him.  Helps keep the mess down in the house and finding little shreds of rubber all over the floor.

Kongs are great. I also recommend nylabones (the really tough ones) and Jolly balls... they'll get torn up eventually, but the big dogs love beating the stew out of them. I've got three big dogs and they love to chew. If not for these toys we wouldn't have a house any more.

• Admin Team

My black lab can destroy a kong in minutes - black or otherwise.  I remember getting her a black kong thinking that we could give her a toy she could actually chew on only to find her biting off pieces of it within minutes.  And, she really isn't a chewer - we don't have a problem with her chewing other stuff around the house.

The "toy" that's lasted longest for her has been a front tire off a garden tractor.  She loves to chase it and play tug with it.

Guest nicemac

RE:"My black lab can destroy a kong in minutes - black or otherwise."

I have a big German Shepherd that can tear almost  anything up in minutes as well. She has been unable to make a mark in a large black Kong Extreme after a year.

http://www.kongcompany.com/products/for-dogs/rubber-toys/extreme-rubber-toys/kong-extreme/

In fact, I have run over the stupid thing with my 62" mower deck several times and have yet to cut it. The most recent was last Saturday. The blades were just sharpened and it flew 75 yards or so. Had a small knick in it, otherwise, no damage. How any dog could tear one up in minutes is beyond me…