Fun with ACU's and Rit Dye

I had some old worn out ACU's that weren't serviceable for work anymore so I decided to try my hand at making the UCP not suck so much for this area.

Here is the outcome;

On concrete

a3yzuta6.jpg

Starting and the bottom left and working clockwise the colors are; unaltered UCP (ACU), Apple green (I call this one zombie green), Dark green, dark green again(Less time in the dye), and then taupe.

In my weed filled back yard
3y3e5uty.jpg
I may try to get some more photos with different backdrops if anyone is interested.

Here is the dye I used
e4ehytah.jpg
It can be found at hobby lobby, Walmart, ect.

If anyone wants I can describe the method I used to apply the dye.

Edited by Mr. Brooks
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if by taking the lighter colors out, if you won't "blob" when seen from a distance. Meaning just look like a dark blob.

I'm not sure, I'll try to get some pics from further away and see how it looks.

I like the dark green in a less than 10 years old pine thicket or the apple for this time of year when the leaves are just budding out and are still bright green.

The dark green initially came out verrrry dark, like you could barely see any pattern at all. It lightened up quite a bit after drying and a few washes. Initially I hated it but I actually kind of like it now.

The apple green looks surprising good against the current bright greens of spring. This is the apple green while drying.
y7u3e7ap.jpg

I still need to take a drive out to a wooded area to get a good feel for how each of these will perform in a more practical environment but here is a photo from further away for now.
nubu2e4y.jpg

The colors/patterns from left to right. Woodland, multicam, dark green, apple green, "light" dark green, taupe, and standard UCP.

I had high hopes for the taupe, I wish it had turned out a little darker, I may try it again with a small amount of dark brown tossed in. I may also try some more brownish colors, but I've heard it tends to give UCP a pink or orange tint.

Edited by Mr. Brooks
  • 2 years later...
Guest matt76137

My dark green dye came out similar to your dark green.  Looks pretty good actually.  Would work fine in Texas during non brown out late fall/winter.  Doing a batch of dark brown this week and the tan (both Rit).  We shall see.  Any experience using Idye Poly Jacquard or Rit dark green on ACU gear like the Molle 2 assault or ruck?

Back in the 90's I did something similar by mixing dark green and brown dye and dying some of the original sandbox "Chocolate Chip Camo" pants and shirts. It worked really well in East Tennessee and up around Wytheville, VA. I think the OP has a heckuvagood idea.

Edited by EssOne