Remi 700 AAC-SD build

ToXIc

So friday i picked up my 1st rifle a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD.

Not going to go crazy with it since i have to get accustomed to the basics.. but... heres what i'm getting for it.

PLEASE interject if you can recomend a better part..

1: Muzzle Break - PWS PRC,5/8x24 http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127&idcategory=6

i plan to shoot the 700 with out it for a bit to feel/know the difference.

2: Harris BiPod - S-BRM http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155546/harris-s-brm-bipod-leg-notch-sling-swivel-stud-mount-6-to-9-black

3: Cheek pad - Blackhawk IVS http://www.midwayusa.com/product/125776/blackhawk-ivs-performance-rifle-cheek-rest-with-rifle-ammunition-carrier-5-round-fixed-stock-nylon-black

4: 20MOA rail and rings - Leupold - unfortunately its been discontuned so i'm now unsure what quality rail to get

5: scope - no clue... still trying to wrap my head around scopes.. i need one that will work great to around 300yrds

so i'm stuck at finding a great quality rail and a scope.. any/all recomendations welcomed..

also can i shoot nato rounds trough the 308 barral? or is it just like AR barrels that it have to be nato rated to be able to shoot both?

• Like 2

For 300 yards most any scope with a 9x to 16x maximum magnification will work great. What budget are you looking at? I am a budget minded builder and am always trying to compare scopes. Some of the greater "budget" scopes are Super Sniper, Vortex, Mueller and Hawke as well as the usuals like Bushnell, Burris and Simmons. It is a matter of finding what features you want in the scope. I will say that illumination, for most people, is a useless feature. I would say an adjustable objective, either side, front or rear, is a must with any precision rifle. I would also strongly suggest easily adjustable turrets with the ability to track your adjustment. Think of them as "target" turrets and they must be resettable to zero.

You do not need any base with MOA angles on it if you are shooting under 500 yards. As long as the scope is decent you will more than have enough adjustments. A problem with some bases is it is impossible to zero the gun at 100 yards or less.

I would strongly recommend a mildot and learn to use it. They are very, very easy to learn to use and then you can use it for range finding. And if you decide you don't want to use it you can still use it as a regualr reticle or even a BDC reticle. I never thought I would need a mildot. Then I bought one and will never be without one again. I have 22's with mildots.

For rails the best bang for the buck is Ferrell bases. There are some that are cheaper and some that are more expensive but for the cost it is hard to beat a Ferrell. After that I would really consider Leupold bases and rings. They are durable and have been in use for decades now. EGW also makes a decent base that is about 1/3-1/2 the cost of a Ferrell.

I was thinking about getting a Nikon BDC scope. I have a Nikon DSLR and like their glass. So with that in mind I was thinking about starting with them. <br /><br /><br />____________________________<br />Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk<br /><br /><br /><br />Edit: why is it that when I use tapatalk I get the <br /> ??? Edited by ToXIc
I went with a millet LRS on my 700sps and I am very happy with it. Fair warning it is a very large scope. It's around 429.00 they do have a trs that is a bit cheaper and goes up to 16x.

Just some thoughts....

Look at getting an atlas bipod

For the comp also look at the JP Tactical Compensator.  It makes my 308 feel like a .22.  I believe you would need JPTRE-324. http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php

Get a new trigger.  I love my Jewell.

For the glass it depends on how much you want to spend...  Low end BSA Tactical, middle vortex, high Nighthawk.

rings i recommend seekins precision but you need to know what tube your scope is (most people get scopes with 30mm tubes)

Don't get the 20MOA rail unless you don't have any rail now or you plan on some long range shooting otherwise it's an unnecessary cost.

You can check out my build that Middle TN Gunsmithing built and painted for me at http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/alwaysonjohn/slideshow/Rebel  

Its a Defiance Machine Rebel Action (based of the 700), Defiance Machine 20 MOA Rail, Lilja 1:10 Twist barrel cut down to around 24" and fluted, JP Tactical Compensator, Manners T5A with Mini Chasis, Atlas Bi-Pod, Seekins Precision Rings, Vortex Scope (loaner for the pictures), jewell trigger, multi-cam cerakote with two-tone cerakote

[URL=http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/alwaysonjohn/slideshow/Rebel]483565_553177238042601_350066274_n.jpg[/URL]

• Like 2

dangit which one?

Seekins Precision Picatinny 1 Piece Base
Stock # - SEE700SA208

Remington 700 Short Action
    Matte
    20 MOA
    8-40 Screws

Seekins Precision Picatinny 1 Piece Base
Stock # - SEE700SA206

Remington 700 Short Action
    Matte
    20 MOA
    6-48 Screws

where can i lookup which screws i have?

Congrats man! You made a great choice for your first rifle, I bought a Rem 700 SPS .308 Tactical when they first hit the market to replace my Savage FP10 (which was also chambered in .308), anyway I use mine as an all-weather, low-light, hunting rifle, but it is more than accurate enough for "precision work" iffin I want to punch holes in paper with it.

Seriously, forget about the BDC. They are pretty useless for precision shooting and ranging targets.

i'm honestly lost at picking a scope..

been reading and looking at reviews.. but still kinda clueless..

Congrats man! You made a great choice for your first rifle, I bought a Rem 700 SPS .308 Tactical when they first hit the market to replace my Savage FP10 (which was also chambered in .308), anyway I use mine as an all-weather, low-light, hunting rifle, but it is more than accurate enough for "precision work" iffin I want to punch holes in paper with it.

thankyou..