1911 Reccomendation

dbla

So here's an interesting question about this gun.... The magazine's that came with it seem a little, well...shitty. I loaded one up and the follower seemed to hangup on the inside... Do the springs just need to break in some, or should I look at better mags here pretty quickly?

-a

Try loading up the mag and letting it sit a day or two. Some mags have very stiff springs. I also purchased 2 Wilson Combat mags just because their supposed to be very reliable. Nice gun also, I was looking for a Loaded Champion but ended up with the Ruger commander. Edited by tarheelbball
Guest FiddleDog

Which one do you have? Does the finish hold up well?

I had the 1911 Subcompact, which ran like a champ and held up well against the holster.  Ended up trading it to satisfy my Sig curiosity...don't regret the trade, but I do miss the crap out of that gun.  It made me look like a much better shot than i normally am.

• 1 month later...

In the price range you're talking about there's a bunch of good ones.  Most have been mentioned.

I'd probably lean toward the Colt but people love their Springfields, Smiths, Kimbers, etc..  My workhorse is a Colt XSE and it's lefty friendly.

Guest Bassman17SC

Congratulations on your new pistol.  Looks like a great shooter as it appears to have a Commander-length barrel, night sights, and an ambi-safety.

One thing to remember is this: if you want to replace any MIM parts, just order some from Ed Brown.  You also have the option of changing the MSH to one with a Bobtail (TM).

Get a few magazines from Wilson Combat; you will not be disappointed with them.

Please let us know how she shoots.

Like several of the others, Rock Island is my carry gun. If it gets a scratch its ok. I carry the 22TCM/9mm micro mag. For practice the 9mm barrel and spring goes in, for carry the 22 TCM barrel is in. Quick easy change and the TCM is a blast to shoot!
  • 3 weeks later...

So here's an interesting question about this gun.... The magazine's that came with it seem a little, well...####ty. I loaded one up and the follower seemed to hangup on the inside... Do the springs just need to break in some, or should I look at better mags here pretty quickly?

-a

Just saw this.  Will add my usual speech.  90% of feeding problems in semiauto pistols are due to magazine problems.  If i have a magazine that hiccups in any way; i change the spring and follower (...check brownells out for the parts...) or toss it. 

leroy