Vehicle holsters?

I have a cheap nylon holster strapped to the side of a milk crate for my G22 in the work van.

I can slide it next to the seat and it is out of sight.

We made one of the under steering wheel dash mounts for my Son's truck.

Edited by RED333

I shove a holster between the seat and the center console at the front right side of the seat. It holds the firearm in place and accessible. It's not as well concealed as I would like. I toss an old t-shirt over it when I'm not in the car. I also have a long-hair wool seat cover that I sometimes stick it under. Completely invisible and I doubt if anyone would look under a seat cover if they broke into the car. It's more accessible than my hip carry position. Everything is a compromise between concealment and readiness.

Edited by jgradyc
I have that Gum Creek rig on the underside of my dash to the right of the steering wheel. I don't see it as a permanent place to store a handgun. That's what the safe under the seat is for. I put my EDC gun in it when I get in the truck and take it out to reholster it when I get out. It's a lot easier to draw from there than my hip when belted in.
  • Like 1

I have the gum creek for my truck but almost never use it. Too hard to draw while seated and to visible if I stop at a store or something.

Those are two of the concerns that I have with most of the options I've found.

greenego, do you have any pictures of the Seatcarry installed?

• Moderators
I keep a holster wedged between the seat and the center console in my Xterra just forward of the seatbelt buckle. It isn't visible from either side through the windows when i am seated and I am able to reach for it as if I was reaching to unlatch the seatbelt. Of course I drive a manual, so the odds of getting carjacked are pretty slim. :lol:

I keep a holster wedged between the seat and the center console in my Xterra just forward of the seatbelt buckle. It isn't visible from either side through the windows when i am seated and I am able to reach for it as if I was reaching to unlatch the seatbelt...

The fold-down center console/armrest in my truck goes all the way to the front edge of the seat. That leaves no room to tuck one between the seats, so I had to try something else. Otherwise, I'd have preferred this as well.

I have the gum creek for my truck but almost never use it. Too hard to draw while seated and to visible if I stop at a store or something.

I'll have to take a pic of how I have mine set up. I didn't attach it directly under the steering wheel for the exact reason you say...too awkward to draw. Plus my knee hit it when I got out and it came loose from time to time no matter how much I tightened the straps.

I'm not too worried about someone looking in my window and seeing an empty holster attached to the bottom of my dash. When the door is open, the steering wheel kind of blocks its view where I have mine attached.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I rigged this one up when I was driving my van and it worked real well.

I used a cheap left-hand holster, removed the metal clip and attached it with some strong velcro backed by super glue to the console. I can take the holster out if I wish but never have. I also used an old multi-tool pouch as a mag pouch and attached it the same way. Granted one must have the room to do this and now that I am again driving a car I can only stick a holster between the seat and console.

I really wish I had that kind of room in my car, this rig worked really well and my wife will use it as soon as she decides to get her permit. I cant and wont push her but she is getting closer each day. With this rig I could drive with my hand rested on the weapon, I cant think of anything that could be any faster to get at.

We all just gotta work with our particular vehicles and see what works best in each one. I wish that I could find a better way in my car but so far I fail to see any other option than to just stick it between the seat and console. :shrug:

The first pic is just the holster as it is mounted in the van, then with the gun in place and last is the view from outside the van with the gun and extra mag in the holster, as you can see, you cant see either of them from outside.

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

The Gum Creek is not recommended if your vehicle has "knee air bags" for an obvious reason.   FIST makes a leather cross draw holster that swivels to horizontal for use seated in vehicle and then you snap into vertical place when you get out.

Edited by RoadKill

Those are two of the concerns that I have with most of the options I've found.

greenego, do you have any pictures of the Seatcarry installed?

No But I could take some and post. Installation was easy. i believe their are some pics on their web site

I've found that my car is, in many cases, a much better weapon than my Sig daily carry piece, but I usually pull my carry and stick it between the seat and console, sometimes with, sometimes without holster. While a Dodge Challenger isn't as fast as a bullet, its a much larger projectile.

I had two ideas and employed one of them. The first was to purchase a large enough velcro elastic waist holster that would go around my center console, wrap that around the console with the holster in the back.

Since I'm using seat covers in the truck I slid a magnet between the seat and cover, this works pretty good. I did think about making a plate that I could bolt under the seat mounting bolt. This plate would have a hole in it where I could affix another bolt where the barrel could slide over. This, with the magnet would be pretty secure but so far the magnet is working for me. That idea may even be worth patenting but you guys can have it for free.  ;)