End of the world Chicken Coop

I thought I'd post some pics of my dads end of the world chicken coop. My name, not his lol. Its built out of oak we cut from our land, then cut on the band mill. It sits on oak 6x6's with a rock foundation, and its built in a bat and board style, with external nest boxes to get eggs from the outside. It has storage up top for anything you'd really need to store, we usually keep chicken feed up there. Anyways I thought I'd share, since its on of the strongest and best built chicken coops I've seen, and I'm proud to say I helped my old man build it.

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130422_193533_zpsa276b7fb.jpg.html]20130422_193533_zpsa276b7fb.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130422_193601_zps59d82fe8.jpg.html]20130422_193601_zps59d82fe8.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130422_193633_zpsaf362aa5.jpg.html]20130422_193633_zpsaf362aa5.jpg[/URL]

• Like 5

We usually get 4-6 a day on average when they are laying normally. So maybe 30 a week on average. Its plenty for my family, which has 12 people including the kids. 10 chickens and a rooster. We look to add more soon for meat, but these are making more than enough eggs.

That's very nice construction, I would be proud as well. Seems a bit precarious sitting on that small foundation though. Get enough of a wind and from this angle I'm afraid you may have a sideways coop before you know it.

Never really thought we'd have trouble with it. The bottom rocks are buried deep, and we have other, larger buildings on similar foundations that have been there for years and years and never had issue. I don't think overturning would be an issue as heavy as it is.

That's outstanding Spots. I'm sure your Dad is proud.

Do you /does he ever free range the chickens? or are predatory critters too much of an issue?

I kept a good sized flock when I lived in Missouri eons ago, and I had to constantly be on the lookout for & occasionally shoot coyotes, foxes, and skunks...and a feral dog or two.

And mine were in large fenced runs...

But there is nothing quite like fresh eggs from your own chickens.

The coop looks great Spots, chickens are great animals, not only do they provide fresh eggs & meat, they are also wonderful stress relievers iffin you sit & watch what I call "chicken TV", as they can be extremely entertaining at times.

Dude, that is the shit! We love having chickens. There is only three of us, so with 6 chickens laying five to six eggs a day, we have 7 to 10 dozen eggs at any given time around the house. You would be amazed how many people love fresh eggs, which gives them a great barter value.

That's an awesome coop!

It's an undisputed fact, chickens living in upper middle class housing / fenced housing and gated communities, are happier and produce better :up:

Chickens raised and living in low income HUD chicken housing tend to be very lazy, expect free handouts, free scratch and have the eggs delivered to them. They forfeit their benefits if the rooster lives in the coop I hear :rofl:

Nice job!

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...