Ting (Save on Mobile Phone)

I have three personal phones, one provided by work, one through Virgin (Smart Phone) and one through Trac Phone to have a local (502) number.

I obviously don't pay for the work phone.

The Virgin phone cost $80, and I pay $25 a month for unlimited data (throttled after 2.5Gb,) 300 minutes and unlimited texts. Any other carrier or service makes no sense to me as that is more than I use, why would I pay considerably more?

The Trac Phone cost me $10 and I pay $10 a month for 100 minutes. I use it only to have a local number, as sometimes in my business customers won't answer from an out of area number.

I have been so satisfied with my Virgin that I honestly haven't looked at other services for nearly fifteen years. It has been that good. When I hear of other poeple talking about $50 phone bills I shake my head, when I hear someone talk about $200 phone bills I openly mock them.

I have one of those "expensive" $54 a month phone bills but considering how much data I use in a typical month(20-40GB) that's cheap.  :2cents:

FI would have me at around double my current bill for 10GB of data but it's still hundreds less than the next closest competitor's quote.

18236455262_750e77027f.jpg

Untitled by Erik, on Flickr

Geesh. My combined bill with my wife and I is $150/month. I'm limited to Verizon because I live in the country and other carriers don't work at my home. 

What's available using Verizon as the carrier? I've been thinking about going to that one sold in WalMart... Straight Talk for $45/month.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I have one of those "expensive" $54 a month phone bills but considering how much data I use in a typical month(20-40GB) that's cheap.  :2cents:

FI would have me at around double my current bill for 10GB of data but it's still hundreds less than the next closest competitor's quote.

18236455262_750e77027f.jpg

Untitled by Erik, on Flickr

Who do you use?

Geesh. My combined bill with my wife and I is $150/month. I'm limited to Verizon because I live in the country and other carriers don't work at my home. 

What's available using Verizon as the carrier? I've been thinking about going to that one sold in WalMart... Straight Talk for $45/month.

Well, PagePlus would probably be your best bet I think. Straight Talk *sometimes* uses Verizon, it depends on the phone you have I believe. I am not sure you can take a Verizon phone to them though, I have only tested Straight Talk on their GSM network.

I switched over to Verizon prepaid & for the whopping price of $50 flat, get 2gb of data (with the autopay thing), hotspot included and I was able to keep the old Verizon phone.  Any verizon phone you currently use, can be switched to prepaid, even if the model isn't listed on their website.

Confusing thing on their website, it says $45/month for 1gb, but it's $50 after taxes and they give a free 1gb of data for doing autopay (after the first month) & you can keep your old number.

Edited by Sam1

I switched my line and my dad's line to Ting and it works well for us.  We pretty much stay in areas where the Sprint network is strong, neither one of us talk much, I text a fair amount and we use little if any data.  The tiered pricing works for us as we stay in the lower tiers, typically ~$30-35 a month out the door for both lines. For multiple low usage lines I think it's a good deal if the Sprint network works for you.

My wife is a bigger talker so a usage based model doesn't work for her.  However, she doesn't use much data.  We switched her line to PureTalk (AT&T network).  PureTalk just lowered their prices on most plans.  Unlimited talk and text with 500MB data for $28.95 out the door.  $34.95 if you need 1GB.  Also nice to have the AT&T network when we travel.         

Who do you use?

I'm on an old Sprint sero plan that was upgraded to sero premium 2 renewals ago, that I've managed to hang onto for around 10 years now. I bought into $10 a month "unlimited premium data" when I was carrying around a Palm treo 650 and unlimited still meant UNLIMITED.

I'm on an old Sprint sero plan that was upgraded to sero premium 2 renewals ago, that I've managed to hang onto for around 10 years now. I bought into $10 a month "unlimited premium data" when I was carrying around a Palm treo 650 and unlimited still meant UNLIMITED.

I would take that plan to the grave.

• Like 1