Took my son shooting tonight...

• Administrator

Took my 13 year old son shooting tonight at the local indoor range. He has shot a .22LR at camp before and has shot my .223 and even my .30-06 rifles in the past but never shot a handgun.

After we reviewed the basics of firearms safety and I showed him the pertinent information about how to properly handle a handgun, I worked with him on some dry firing exercises, how to use proper stance, use the sights, press (not pull!) the trigger, etc.

I loaded one round into the full-size M&P 40 and he squared off with the target at 7 yds. First shot was dead center into the red zone. :)

We proceeded to fire about 20 rounds, one at a time. After he was comfortable with the recoil of the gun and I was confident that he was doing fine, we moved to two rounds at a time in the magazine. By the end of the session with the 40, he was loading four rounds into the mag on his own, racking the slide, keeping his finger out of the trigger guard until time to shoot, and putting all four rounds into a decent grouping.

He didn't shy away from trying the .45acp and commented that it did have a little more kick than the .40SW but that he was still ok with it. He manged to put all of his four .45acp rounds into a 4" diameter Shoot n See target at 15 yds. :up:

We topped the night off shooting the snot out of the Ruger 10/22 and clearing jams. I've really got to send that rifle off for service. I also really need to go ahead and buy a .22LR handgun.

Anyway... I'm really proud of him. He did great!

img016.jpg

PS: Check out that grip style! He got it right instantly with me only showing him once. Thumbs forward, hands locked together, weak hand shoved up tightly beneath the trigger guard. :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

That is awesome, congratz to you and your son!

My Dad and I try to make it out to shoot every few months and it is always a blast. Plus, it makes it super easy to find gifts for each other because firearms are always the perfect gift :D

p.s. Check out the Beretta Neos for a .22lr handgun. I picked up one for my dad a few years back for Christmas and it has been a great gun. The only issue we have run into is it does not like the cheap walmart crap ammo. Our sales guy at work just picked one up for his son as well and his son was out plinking acorns at 10 yards later that afternoon :up:

Guest jackdog

Way to Tungsten, tell your son I really like is form. There is nothing I can think of that is quite as gradifying as teaching a childproper gun safety and how to shoot.

Hey Tung! NICE work there partner!

I am doing the same for Julie right now...teaching her with a 22 because its easier to see your mistakes when you shoot with 22..

plus its cheaper.

want to buy the smith and wesson22a1? Julie wants an xd9 and I want her to have a 22 pistol as well...so I figured I'd talk her into selling hers and using it to help fund an xd9

p.s. Check out the Beretta Neos for a .22lr handgun. I picked up one for my dad a few years back for Christmas and it has been a great gun. The only issue we have run into is it does not like the cheap walmart crap ammo.

so what sort of ammo do you shoot with it?

I want to get Julie one...so I'm probably going to talk her into selling her s&W22a1 to help fund it.

she hasn't even shot the s&w yet

or I may just go buy the danged thing so we can both have one to shoot...she'll probably end up with the neo and I'll get the s&w...

Guest Voodoo_1

Tungsten, you better start practicing! Your sons shooting form may out gun the old man soon.:D

My 22yr. old daughter wants to learn to shoot pistols. As soon as she gets finished with this semester of college, we are going to the range. Man they grow up fast. Enjoy this special time with your son because, before you know it, he will be in college.:up:

Guest EasilyObsessed

so what sort of ammo do you shoot with it?

I want to get Julie one...so I'm probably going to talk her into selling her s&W22a1 to help fund it.

she hasn't even shot the s&w yet

or I may just go buy the danged thing so we can both have one to shoot...she'll probably end up with the neo and I'll get the s&w...

The ammo we had trouble with was the Remington Gold Bullet HP. We only ever bought one brick of it and had problem after problem with it. We also had problems in the Ruger 10/22 with the same ammo. We now use either CCI Standard Velocity or the Remington 22 Target ammo. Never had any issues in either of the 22's since :up:

Speaking of which...that reminds me that I need to go pick up a 22lr conversion for the AR and the beretta....