A short story...

"Humanity"

The day was somewhat cloudy, raindrops began to coat the windshield on Jacks Toyota Tundra. He had just worked a thirteen hour shift and was exhausted from the day. His boss had jumped down his throat for the smallest foul up that he himself makes all the time. The only thing that takes the edge off is the cigarette that Jack smokes at his lunchtime, it mellows out his day to where he can handle his boss till the jerk leaves at five, it's smooth sailing from there. A sudden famaliar tone awoke Jack from his daze and brought him to. The emergency broadcast system went active, stating that 'martial law had been declared and for everyone to get in doors immediately and to lock themselves in.' Jack began to talk to himself, "Why the hell are they declaring marshall law? Guess the President has finally flipped his liberal lid..."

Hearing this kind of information immediately made Jack realize what needed to be done. He checked his cellular; the towers weren't shut down yet. He immediately called his father to check on him; the call went to voicemail. Jack thinks to himself, "it's alright, where they're at, the reception isn't that great", Jack keeps repeating those words over and over in his mind to provide a little comfort to himself. Next he calls a key member of his Mutual Assistance Group or MAG, Jeb. Jeb was a bit of gun nut, even when they were in high school together but overtime they both had grown to be more survival oriented. When Jack contacted him a few years back to catch up the topic of shooting came up so they hit it off. The two had a few drinks at Jebs whilst playing catch up when the topic of survival had been brought up and much to Jacks surprise Jeb had been stock piling food and was planning on purchasing a M35A2 deuce and a half in the near future. When the phone picked up an out of breath Jeb picked up the phone, "Jack, what the hell is going on man?"

Jack was hoping Jeb would fill HIM in but that wasn't the case as he learned, "I dunno brother but we need to mobilize the MAG, like right NOW! There's not major earth shattering events that I'm aware of and they've declared martial law without warning, can only mean one thing I THINK and that's..." Jeb cuts him off before he can finish, "containment... but what the @#$% are they containing??" Jack just as confused, "I dunno man but call up Tay, we need to get everyone and their gear to Romeo Hotel, like an hour ago!" Jeb knowing now what needed to be done, "you sure man? That's ALOT of gear to move in one haul and if this thing turns out to be nothing..." Jack knew where he was going, "Jeb, if this thing turns out to be as bad as we think it is, we'll be glad we got the F outta dodge! I'm going to go get my sisters, you get ahold of everyone you can, leave messages but we're not waiting for ANYONE, we meet in thirty minutes. I'll see you on the other side, stay safe brother!" Jeb, worried about how this would play out didn't let his nervousness through and confidently responded, "You too dude, I'll see you at the house in thirty." As Jack turned right onto Cedar he slowed down for a stoplight that immediately turned green for him, what he didn't see was the Dodge Ram that plowed into the passenger rear quarter side of his truck spinning it around like a dreidel at Hanukkah. All Jack can see is spinning lights then complete darkness consumes him...

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 3

Jack began to see dancing and dazzling lights swirl about his vision. The smell of smoke and air bag propellant filled Jacks nostrils like water causing him to cough and in doing so he felt the burn of his seatbelt against his neck. "Well at least I can still feel pain", he muttered to himself. Jack gained his bearings looking around as he sat in the intersection of Cedar and Spring Street, he unbuckled his belt and made his way over to the Ram, it's front end completely smashed. Upon reaching the front of the Ram Jack began to felt woozy and even dizzy, "C'mon you bastard, keep it together!". Jack finally got to the driver door which in itself felt an eternity.

He opened the driver door, the occupant slid out in a heap, Jack catching the older man mid fall, he lay the man down on the pavement, "Hey, are you okay?!" Jack reached for the mans neck checking his pulse, the neck had a jut protruding out from it and it returned nothing, "He must've broken his neck in the wreck..." Jack then noticed something very odd about the dead truck driver's arm, he had what appeared to be a bite mark, "Must've been what he was rushing towards the hospital for." At that moment, the mans body began to twitch, as if being prodded by an electrical current. Catching Jack off guard he fell on his butt from the crouched position he had just assumed and began scooting back as quickly as he could. The jaws on the head began to snap with a bite force similar to what he had seen in films of crocodiles and alligators, a thought then crossed Jacks mind and his body responded to the thought with, " NO @#$&ING WAY!!!!!!?????"

The body of the poor man wasn't moving with the exception of the jaws clacking and snapping to and fro. Not wasting any time whatsoever Jack gets on his feet and climbs into the cab of his truck, opening the center console to retrieve his FNX-9, releasing the safety on it, Jack tucked it into the small of his back. He then reached into the center console and retrieved his two spare magazines and pocketed them. Going back around the side of the truck he checks on the dead man, the body still lay there chomping away as if compelled to do so. Walking very slowly up to the corpse, Jack grabs the tuff of the mans little remaining hair, lifting back to reveal the mans eyes wide open, looking right at Jack, seeing this he lets go of the hair, the mouth still biting even as it hits pavement. Using one hand to press the head into the ground, Jack uses his free hand to check the limp mans pulse once again, just making sure he didn't misdiagnose the poor fellow. Still as unresponsive as the moment when Jack first tried.

Once again, he grabs the tuff of the mans hair, only this time, he held his weapon in his left hand, readying just as a precaution. The head did not stop, it continued it's gnawing and teething, biting at something not there, only moaning when it stopped that. The thing that scared Jack most, wasn't the biting as human bodies have been known to do strange things upon death, it was the eyes, eyes which were already very dead, stared at Jack with unwavering determination, without a thought nor provocation, the eyes didn't meet his own, they almost looked through him but Jack knew then and there, the eyes did in fact see him but not as a fellow human but as prey, the same way a lion views gazelle,  "My god, this is all starting to come together now" , Jack surmised, "the Martial Law, the warning to stay in doors, and now this." Jack now realized how dire things truly were. He knew that after tonight, life as humanity knew it, would change forever. Taking the initiative, he pointed his weapon at the temple of the snapping skull, trying to pull the trigger, he couldn't bring himself to do it, after all, this man was alive just minutes ago, trying to get to the hospital. Jack heard sirens in the background making their way closer.

He decided the best thing to do would be to hide his weapon in his car, a police officer showing up to the scene of a car accident seeing one of those involved with a firearm, well that just wouldn't bode well for Jack at all. That's when he heard footsteps behind him and a familiar moan that ran a chill up his spine, considering the only thing he thought of as 'undead', was laying in front of him. His adrenal glands went full active, the hair on the back of neck stood on end, and his pupils dilated, all of these are root causes when your primal instincts are telling you one thing, 'run'.......

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2

Jack turned around to face the noise he heard coming from behind to see a young slouched silhouette slightly to his left limping towards him in a very slow, almost clock work like pace. Jack saw that he was no more than twenty years old, barely an adult in the eyes of the law. The young man kept making his way towards Jack until he came under the light of a street lamp and then Jack saw it, the same predatory eyes that pierced through him, eyes that have been long since dead to the world. Jack drew his weapon, "Stay back, I don't want to hurt you!" Jacks words fall on deaf ears as the young man keeps inching towards him, Jack shoots the ground next to the young man which was to no avail, he kept making his way forward. Jack then aimed his next shot at the shoulder, the 124 grain Speer Gold Dot penetrated the boys shoulder throwing him slightly off balance but his pace unchanged, Jack then knew what he had to do. Jack put the Tritium night sights onto his next target, the head of the youth.

Jack, feeling compelled to do so, yelled, "Last warning, stop or I WILL fire on you!" Jacks commands made no difference. Jack was at his wits end trying to mull over all possibilities, not wanting to take the life of someone but in the back of his mind he knew that this wasn't a normal case, that this was something different entirely. He made a last second judgement call and squeezed the trigger, his nervousness made the shot miss and clip his assailants ear. There was no blood, just the moans of a methodical predator making his way towards him now within fifteen feet, Jack could smell the stench off this boy and could see dried blood around his mouth. The blood in Jack's face drained as he witnessed this poor soul shambling towards him, "Sweet mother Mary, they're damned monsters."

He aimed once more, this time his fear gave way to new found accuracy putting the personal defense round right above the mans left eye, the head snapped back and the young mans body went limp. Jack so terrified of what he had just done, immediately began to gag and then vomited, releasing just a little of his amounted anxiety and stress. Jacks hands were shaking to the point to where he had to physically force them to stop by clasping them together and holding tightly. It was then he heard the sound of screeching tires, looking to where the sound came from Jack saw a police cruiser sitting there with the spot light now pointed at him, a loud booming voice commanded, "Drop the weapon!!!" Jack knew this was going to be a long night...

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 3

Jack slowly leaned over, laying the weapon, which he had just used to suppress the threat he felt from the young man, onto the ground. He was sure to move slowly as to not give the officer a reason to fire on him. The officer then commanded, "hands on your head, now!" Jack complied, "take ten steps forward!" Jack was now within about ten feet of the officer, "Turn around! Good, now get down on your knees!" Jack complied completely not wanting to end up like the young man, "Face on the pavement, now!" Jack was beginning to get worried and was mulling over in his head what he was going to tell the officer 'sorry man, he looked like one of those things from the Romero movies so I just went and did the world a favor and shot him in the face.' frowning, he thought, 'Yeah, that'd go over real well'. As the officer handcuffed him, he grabbed Jack by the shoulders, "Stand up." Helping him get on his feet, Jack could see, now that he was really up close, that the officer was an older man, probably in his late fifties possibly early sixties, more than likely nearing retirement, his name tag read Brigsby at that moment the paramedics arrived on the scene.

The officer walked Jack to the front quarter of his fender and asked Jack, "do you have any weapons in your pockets, drugs, or any other paraphernalia I should be aware of before searching you? I don't wanna jam my hand in there to have it find a needle." Jack shook his head, "No drugs or anything like that sir but there is my pocket knife on my right side." The officer then equiped a pair of leather gloves and removed the Kershaw pocket knife, along with Jacks cell phone, a small LED Surefire light, the magazines for his pistol, and finally his wallet. Brigsby removed Jacks license and handgun carry permit, reading off the name listed, "Jack Malone, huh?" The officer sat Jack down and calmly asked,"What the hell happened here son?" Jack looked at him solemnly and responded, "He, he just kept coming. He wouldn't stop, I shot him in the shoulder and that didn't even phase him..." Brigsby then pulled out a notepad and pen and then began to take notes, "What weapon did he have?" Jack then realized that this is where it's going to get a bit more, complex, "He didn't have one." Brigsby gave a quizzcal look to Jack, "Then where did you perceive the threat from?" Jack shut his eyes, remembering the stare that the young man and the driver gave him, something he would later call, the 'dead eye', "I'm going to calmly explain the events that unfolded but first tell the paramedics NOT to touch the other body, please, it's for the safety of everyone!" Brigsby looked puzzled once again by his statement, "Son, just what the hell are you..."

At that moment both Brigsby and Jack heard one of the paramedics scream out loud, it was a young woman in her early twenties, she grasped her hand as an artery had been bit clean in two, it began to spurt blood in pulsations, soaking the pavement in crimson. "The stiff here bit me!!!" It wasn't but a minute later after her coworker began to tend to her hand that she was laying on her side vomiting a mix of blood and bile. Jack yelled to Brigsby, "SIR, PLEASE! Un-cuff me, this is about to get really bad!" Brigsby ignored him but realized that there still wasn't another officer on scene and requested backup, the response he received was that ALL other units were assisting with similar cases and that help would arrive as soon as humanly possible.

"We're on our own", looking to the other paramedic, "Son, what's your name?" the paramedic trying to get the bleeding to stop let alone figure out what was wrong with his partner responded, "Aaron sir!", he said very panicked. "Aaron, I want you to stay with her. I'm going to check on my suspect, stay positive bud." Brigsby had never seen anything like this before so he was going to ask the only person whom even had an inkling as to what was happening and he just so happened to be in custody. "Jack, tell me just what the living hell is going on here." Jack mulled it over in his head in how to explain it without sounding like a loon, which no matter which way he said it to himself, he still sounded crazy. "Sir, I think its a virus. With how fast it's acting I'd say its a weaponized virus which would explain the sudden and random act of Martial Law." Brigsby pondered on it for a second, "Son, you might be right but we need to..." At that moment Aaron called to Brigsby, "Sir, I'm losing her! I need to get her to the hospital, can you secure this scene until more help arrives!?" The officer nodded and yelled to him, "Son, you get her the hell out of here and godspeed to ya!" Aaron loaded her up into the van, with the help of Brigsby, onto the gurney. "Take good care of her!", the van pulled away in a hurry heading towards the hospital.

Brigsby then heard snapping coming from the body on the ground now facing up, the corpse stared at him while Brigsby looked at it in awe and sheer disbelief, "This can't be real..." Jack then yelled with all his might, "BRIGSBY!!! You asked me 'what threat did I perceive', well, do you see it now, in his eyes? He looks at you like you're there but not there, that's the same kind of eyes that the man I shot had!" Brigsby looked at Jack, in horror , immediately drawing his weapon pointing towards him, "Hey, wait a minute don't..." Before he could finish the older officer fired six rounds...

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 3

Jack was wincing, he didn't feel any pain. He looked up to see Brigsby moving towards him cautiously but not looking at him, Jack looked behind him and there was a woman laying on her back about five feet away, twitching. "She was reaching for you with her arms out, she had the same look that one had." Pointing with his shoulder to the biting body laying on the ground. A horrified look crept over the officers face "I just shot a person without verbal warning, my god, I'm going to go to prison!" Jack realized that if he didn't say something, the poor man might try to do something drastic, "look, you percieved her just as much as a threat as I did that one over there, you were trying to protect me and I appreciate that but we've got bigger problems now, cause she ain't dead!" Brigsby looked at him with a wrinkled face, "There's no fregin way, I just put six rounds in her abdomen, she should, be..." Brigsby began to trail off looking at the body because it had just now sat up, looking at him, then towards Jack. She then began to crawl to what was percieved as the easier of two targets, Jack started scooting back as fast as possible, "Shoot her in the head man, shoot!!!" Brigsby fired a round into her leg, this made no difference to her. "The head man, you've got to shoot the HEAD!" Brigsby frowned, "God help me!!!" He then pulled the trigger discharging a round into the side of her skull splattering brain matter all over the side of his cruiser.

Jack looked at him, "Thank you, I don't know what I would've done without you." Brigsby stood there in total disbelief, "I just executed a person..." Jack infuriated now, "Damn it man, wake up! We need to get out of here NOW! That woman showed up because of the gunshots! We need to get out of here before more show up!" Brigsby stood there thinkning on it for a moment, then said "No, I need to stay here in case anyone else shows." Jack was desperate to convince him to get out of there, "Sir, with all due respect, @#$& that, we need to beat feet somewhere safer than the middle of the street, that one there ain't going anywhere, he broke his neck in the crash and it's limited his movement to just the head." Brigsby rebuttled with, "We can't just leave him here, someone else might end up like that paramedic" Jack tired of arguing, "Look, I'll take care of him, lets just get the hell out of here but first you need to uncuff me!" Brigsby thought on it for a moment and then said, "Alright, we'll head to the station and try to figure out just what in the Sam Hill is going on. Is your truck still road worthy?" Brigsby leaned down and began to unlock his cuffs after they were off, Jack rubbed his wrists then looked at his truck, "I dunno but we'll find out real quick."

Jack jumped up onto his feet, repocketing his belongings, then made his way over to his truck, he retrieved the pistol thumbing the safety on, he stowed it into the small of his back. He walked over to the truck and after unlocking the truck tool box, he drew out a case, a plate carrier with full mag pouches and a back pack. Opening the medium sized case revealed an AR-15 split from the upper and lower. Jack snapped them together then inserted a fresh thirty round magazine coupled to another magazine, though not charging it in the presence of the officer. He then threw the plate carrier on and set the rifle barrel down propped up against the center console. Jack then opened the pack up to withdraw a drop leg holster to stow the FNX with then proceeded to toss the pack into the passenger seat of his truck. Brigsby walked over and let out a low tone whistle in surprise, "You ready for world war three?" Jack smiled and said, "Nope, but I'm ready for just about anything else."

End of Chapter 1

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 2

Jeb began prepping long before Jack so coordination of the twos logistics was now impossible, not for Jacks lack of trying, good ol' Jeb was just set in his ways and loved his Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal weapons, which were an FN Five Seven handgun and a short barreled PS90 with sound suppressor. Being set in his ways however did not make him a fool, as he had a Glock chambered in 9x19mm Luger/Parabellum, the same cartridge that Jack used and the most common handgun ammunition available. Jeb just put his cellular phone into his pocket and was now going through his things that he would need for the trip, their bug out location was about 45 miles north east of his current location and he wanted to make sure that he 'measured twice and cut once', as the old saying goes. He immediately began equipping his go to gear; a level 3A vest, which is rated up to .44 Remington Magnum, along with which it has mounted to the front of the system is an Israeli surplus Uzi mag pouch retrofitted to accept Jebs longer PS90 magazines, to the left of that, a pouch containing his four FN Herstal Five Seven magazines, above that sat the holster containing his Five Seven, on what would be his collarbone was a pouch that contained a small area map, compass and one chemical light stick.

As he began getting things together he heard his dog begin to bark. He yelled, "Shut it Jesse!", the little beagle continued to bark, "shaddup dog!" and went back to what he was doing. The dog continued to bark and then let out a shrill of a cry. Jeb snatched up his PS90 racking the charging handles as he moved and turning on the flash light, "Whatever just made my dog yelp is gonna wish it gets to He...." the sight that Jeb came upon almost brought him to vomiting. He couldn't believe what he was seeing, that a person could actually be eating his dog, while the poor canine was still alive. "YOU BASTARD, I'LL KILL YOU!!!!!" Jeb raised his PS90 and fired a whispered round into the man's abdomen. It did nothing to slow the man down, "What the HELL, is he on bath-salts or something???" Jeb, now to the point of extreme rage, fired three more rounds into the back of the man, it did not hamper the feasting horror. Jeb yelled in extreme anger, "DAMN YOU!!!!" Jeb began to fire as rapidly as possible, slowly walking up on the bloody site, trying to bring the monster down; Jeb now almost on top of the beast of a man, put the muzzle of the quiet micro rifle to the back of the man's head, "Say good night you twisted bastard!" He fired a round into the back of the man's head causing the body to crumple. Jeb let the small rifle drop allowing the sling to catch it. He knelt down petting the animal, which was torn asunder, on top of its head, its eyes barely open, “You’re a good ol boy Jesse, you know that?†Jeb began to get tears welling up, "you sleep now, kay? Ain't nothing gonna hurt you now." Jeb reached for his PS90, putting the muzzle of the weapon against his Beagles head, "DAAAAAAAAMMMNNNNN IIIITTTTTTTTT!!!" pulling the trigger the pup went limp.

Jeb sat there for a few minutes then he unlatched the weapons magazine looking through the translucent polymer seeing that he only had three rounds left, "You gotta be kidding me?? I only have four rounds left?! I shot that bastard forty six times??!!" He put the mag into his pants pocket then inserting a fresh mag into his rifle. Jeb turned around to see the crumpled body leaned forward from where it fell from sitting on its knees. Jeb stuck his foot underneath the shoulder of the body then throwing the body over on its back with a violent kick. Jeb instinctively pointed his weapon at the face of the attacker. The sight truly disgusted and confounded Jeb all at the same time for half of the man's face was gone, ripped clean from the bone leaving sinew, tendons, and skull exposed for all to see. Jeb saw that the man's bullet wound was on the intact part of the face, "Well, this is an odd feeling, can't say that I've ever been this pissed, sad, and grossed out all at the same time in my life. Now that I know five point seven isn't a face cleaving round, still doesn't say what the hell happened to this guy." Jeb heard an almost eerie moan come from behind him, close enough that it sound like it was in his ear. Jeb quickly tried spinning around but a hand, latching onto him from behind, pulled his shoulder into a set of jaws.

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 1

Jeb then grabbed his PS90 throwing the butt plate into the bridge of the nose which did nothing to stun his attacker. Remembering a martial arts technique his dad had taught him, he grabbed the neck just below the jawline and also grabbing at the pant waist, in one swift kneeling motion he was able to throw his attacker off of him. Quickly recovering, Jeb jumped three feet back leveling the PS90 at his attacker. The person he just threw was a gorgeous young Hispanic woman, probably in her late teens early twenties. Jeb was taken aback by how gorgeous she was and then realized that this was in fact the same person who just tried taking a bite out of his shoulder. Jeb said to him, "I guess it was a good idea throwing this vest on when I did, otherwise that would have REALLY hurt." While the bite didn't penetrate the Kevlar reinforced vest, it did hurt him considerably, "Damn it, that's really sore now that I've got my rifle up here."

The woman began to make her way over to him, when Jeb hit her in the eyes with the light, she didn't wince, she didn't try to stave the light with a hand, she just kept walking towards him looking past the light straight at him, "If I didn't know any better, I'd swear she was staring at my throat." He saw the hunger in her eyes, the lack of a human soul. She was a predator now stalking her prey in a very mechanical like behavior. A thought came across his mind, one he kept trying to push back but couldn't, it kept creeping back into his mind like a leak on a sinking ship, until finally the thought left his lips, "she's dead..." he said with almost a whimper. He decided to test this new found theory. He aimed at her shoulder, firing a round. It ripped through her collarbone and made her stumble but did nothing to slow her down. He then fired two more rounds into her breast where the heart would be; again she did not slow her pace. Jeb moved back a few more paces until his back hit something, it was his fence. He brought his rifle up once more with a grimace on his face, "Sorry honey, but I ain't dying here tonight." He aimed for her head, firing a round through her left eye socket, snapping the head back. The woman fell to the ground almost as gracefully as she was beautiful. Jeb feeling remorseful for what he done walked over to her body, "I'm sorry, please forgive me." Jeb then made his way inside but not before he looked one last time out into his backyard, seeing the gruesome encounter which had just transpired, "So this is how the end starts huh?" He shut the door behind himself.

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2

Jack kept monitoring his surroundings to make sure he didn't make the same mistake as before, watching all lanes and avenues and traffic but also the surrounding area watching to see if any more of those things would come crawling out of the wood works. Jack glanced down to make sure his rifle was still secure; it is a Spike's Tactical ST-15 carbine length, they're a relatively cheaper entry level AR but is a quality product for the price point, hence why it is Jacks trusted go to truck gun. It is equipped with an EoTech 512 holographic sight, a Surefire tactical light, and tritium night sights. Jack thought back to when he had ordered it, 'I'm fairly certain that I probably have more in add-on's than what the weapon is worth.' Jack chuckled to himself at that thought. He was currently tailing the older police officer, Mike Brigsby. Jack thought about the aftermath of their encounter.

....Ten minutes earlier....

Jack smiled and said, "Nope, but I'm ready for just about anything else." Jack then realized what he had to do next. He walked over to the passenger side of the truck, removing a hatchet from his pack. Brigsby suddenly became startled thus his training and practice kicked in immediately forcing his hand onto his pistol, "WHOA, what're you doing Jack?" Jack looked at Brigsby with eyes looking for a reason to not have to do nor say what needed to be done, "look, Brigsby..." Jack began to search his thoughts looking for the right words to say, "This guy is already dead." Brigsby somewhat stunned then retorted with, "We don't know that! He might just have a broken neck!" Jack began to become frustrated, "HE BIT THAT GIRLS HAND ALMOST IN HALF!!! You saw that one, how she came straight for me!" The thought of the monster that tried to get to Jack then crept back into Brigsbys mind, Brigsby couldn't say anything at all; he didn't know what to say. There isn't any law enforcement training out there that could prepare a person for this kind situation. The more he thought about it, the more he knew Jack was right. Brigsby played out every scenario in his head he could but they all led back to the same conclusion, this was a nightmare that had only begun.

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 1

I would like to apologize to everyone for any grammar mistakes that I make, as this is more or less the rough draft. I'm moving the data from one media to another and working on this from two different computers. It also doesn't help that my mind works ALOT faster than my body, lol. Please have patience with me as I try to bring this to you. Enough with the excuses, on with the show! :hat:

• Like 1