A short story...

Brigsby stood by and watched as Jack made his way to the snapping limp body. Jack with hatchet in hand looked down at the body; the head barely moving whilst producing a chomping sound. Jack was saddened and disgusted with himself all at the same time. Jack stood there looking at the body for a minute until all of a sudden he began to experience a somewhat surreal out of body experience, almost as if he was watching himself. Jack could only think, 'pulling a trigger is easy, one movement of a small set of muscles and it's over with but THIS...'.

The more Jack thought on it, the less he wanted to do what needed to be done. He finally went blank, raising the hatchet without a thought. The first strike was a feeling that he would never forget; it was as if he had struck a piece of firewood that had a soft center. Jack began to zone out and had tunnel vision, before he knew it Brigsby was dragging him back while yelling at him, "That's enough Jack, he's not moving anymore!!!" Jack didn't realize that he had, at that point, struck the head 11 times; the resulting blows had chipped the top of the hatchet. Jack finally came out of the state he was in; he saw the blood and brain matter all over himself. He doubled over and began to vomit, there wasn't much which resulted in him dry heaving. His eyes began tearing up from a combination of the gut wrenching experience and his body trying to purge its contents. After the vomiting subsided he began to sob. Jacks thoughts began to reform from the small mental break he had. Jack stood up wiping his eyes away with his forearm, "Lemme wash this off right quick Brigsby, dunno if this is a virus or not." Jack said with the voice of a man beaten by the horror of killing.

Jack retrieved one of the many bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide that he kept under his rear seat. He popped the top on it, pouring it on any parts that had bodily contents. The red began to fizzle and foam up; Jack took a bottle of water from the case he kept in his tool box and poured it over his head. He took a sip of it, washing the left over bile from his mouth then spitting it onto the ground. Some words came out of Jacks mouth that he would later in life think about and laugh at, "Sweet Jesus, what have I done?"

• Like 1

12 minutes later...

Jack quickly pushed that thought out of his mind as they approached the police station. The stations main parking lot was empty, as was the secondary rear lot for squad cars with the exception of the on-duty officer's personal vehicles. Jack was surprised by this but then as he thought about it, it began to make sense. This began around 8:15, as that was the last time Jack looked at the clock before he was hit; it was now a little after nine pm. People were getting settled at home when that emergency service bulletin went out, some were already going to bed for an early work day and have no idea that this is happening.

When Jack was hit, the truck took a hit partially on the rear passenger side door and partially on the bed. The door was no longer usable but taking the impact at both areas was able to disperse the kinetic energy with more ease. The damage to either was not as great as it could have been; though being out of alignment now, the Tundra was still very much drivable.

Upon parking Jack locked his truck leaving the carbine where it lay. Brigsby wide eyed said, "That's probably a good idea but don't you think you should get that out of sight?" Jack smiled and responded, "Well I highly doubt someone's going to freak out over that lil guy after the things we've seen tonight and if somebody tries to steal it, well good luck to them." Jack knocked on the window and it responded with a dull knock, "All of the door windows are made of polycarbonate. At the cost of being able to roll the windows down, they're almost shatter proof." Brigsby was taken aback by this, "But what if you were to get into an accident and no one can get to you?" Jack once again smiled, "Hell man, I'll take that risk. Hopefully someone will have the Jaws of Life with them."

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2

The men began to make their way inside when Jack slowed down to a stop, "Brigsby, what's your first name?" Brigsby stopped, almost as if he had to think about it, "Mike, it's Mike Brigsby." Jack grinned without saying a word, began walking again.

Jack held the door open for Brigsby as his father had taught him to do for anyone, especially women and his seniors. Brigsby looked confused upon entering as the front desk which would normally sit a receptionist was empty. "I wonder where Shirley has gotten off to." Jack began to take in his surroundings, a trait picked up from his training. Jack was always aware of exits and entrances to buildings he was entering and always mindful of how exposed his back is. Jack then noticed that all the desks were empty and where even a night watchman would be was vacant as well. The two began to poke around the area.

Jack then noticed something that would come to save his life many times to come. The hair on the back of his neck began to stand on end. He had experienced this same sensation once before, it was when he shot his very first human being when all of his senses told him to flee. Brigsby was just about to call for someone when Jack quickly grabbed his shoulder jolting him. It caught the old officer off guard and he spun to face Jack who was holding a single finger over his own lips shaking his head. Using the same finger, Jack tapped his ear. Brigsby then whispered to Jack, "You don't think?..." Without saying a word, Jack nodded his head, then whispering, "If there are any of those things in here they'll all head straight this way the moment they hear a sound." Brigsbys eyes grew wider and a worried look came over his face, "Mother Mary help us..." Brigsby began to make his way back towards the holding cells with his hand on his weapon. As they approached the cells going down the corridor, the two stopped as a shadow made its way around the adjacent. When the silhouette made around the corner, it was a blonde woman in her mid-twenties. She looked at them and then asked, "Mike? What're you doing here?"

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2

The younger woman had a lighter complexion and was almost doll like with her looks. Jack was taken aback by her looks. He began to blush slightly by looking at her. Mike reached forward and grabbed her by the shoulders and asked, "Shirley is everything alright? Are you okay??" She looked slightly confused, "Yeah, we're just fine. We had an inmate get a little rough and he was trying to bite one of the others but we got a muzzle on him. Wade tased the guy but it didn't really faze him, he just kept on biting. He used some sort of martial arts take down on him and held him there until I could find the ol muzzle from equipment storage; the thing is old though, probably from the late fifties." The combined look of horror and surprise overcame both Mike and Jacks faces, "Is he still in there?" The girl looking even more confused looked at them, "Um, yeah. Wade put him into his own cell. Even after he was masked, he kept going for the other cellmate. It was really weird." It was at this point that Jack began to hear the screams from back in the jail cells, "Keep that thing away from me!!! Damn dude tried to eat me!" Shirley then happened to notice Jack standing there, "Um, hi, who are you?" Mike intervened, "That's Jack hon and we've got one hell'uva story for you and Wade but before that we need to get a look at that feller in the cell."

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The three made their way back to the cells. The man who was masked was in his own cell while the man who was attack was in the adjacent cell as far back as he could get from his masked attacker, "I swear to god if that thing comes near me again I'll kill him!" Wade who was back there already saw the three approaching, then grabbing his Asp he slapped it against the bar of the drunks cell yelling, "keep yer mouth shut ya pansie!" all the while puffing out his chest, trying to make an OBVIOUS impression on Shirley. "How ya doin Wade, you keeping the peace back here?" Brigsby asked almost as if he was talking to a child to which Wade responded in kind with a response you would expect from a child seeking approval, "yeah, he was starting to get rowdy again but I shut him up. The one in the mask there though is the real problem. @#$%er felt like he was almost through my glove when he bit me." The blood drained out of both Brigsby and Jacks faces. Brigsby immediately asked, "Wade, listen carefully, did he BITE you??" Wade then looked a little confused, then he removed the glove he had on to reveal his wound, it was just a little red from the bite pressure but no penetration. Both of the newcomers sighed in relief; the two looked at each other in approval. Wade was still confused by the twos reactions, "You guys, it wasn't that bad." Brigsby showed Wade a very stern face, "Not to alarm you son but you have no idea what kind of 'bullet' you just dodged." Pointing towards the masked jailbird.

• Like 1

The masked man began throwing his face against the bars of the cell repeatedly trying to get to the people on the otherside. Brigsby and Jack both recognized the stare that man gave, the cold gaze pierced them both like hollow icy daggers. Jack without looking at Wade though speaking to him, "This man is sick, very sick." Wade then becoming suspicious, "Okay, what the hell is going on Brigsby?! Just who is THIS guy," gesturing towards Jack, "And what the Hell is wrong with this fella?" Brigsby told them about the encounter they had, about the woman they had to shoot of which he didn't go into detail trying not to remember it, and about the paramedics; following up Brigsby, Jack gave his account of what had transpired and how that he had just gotten off work when this all began. The young woman, officer, and drunkard all looked at them in disbelief of the story they had just heard.

• Like 1

"You guys are making this up..." the drunkard from within the cell said, "This is some sort of prank right??" Brigsby shook his head, then said "I'd like to think so but the nightmare we experienced out there was an all too real rude awakening." while pointing to the bloodstains on his uniform and on Jacks clothes. Jack looked right at the man wearing the restrictive mask, "These things, whatever they are don't feel pain and won't go down unless you shoot them in the head." Wade smirked cockily, "Now that's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard..." Jack sighed, then looking to the masked man, "Hey, mister can you hear me? Are you okay?" The lone man just kept pushing futily into the cells bars, his feet squeaking against the tiled floor, making the sound reminiscent of a basketball game yet there was no response, just the groans and sighs of monster trying to reach its food desperately. Jack looked at Brigsby, "Make sure they don't do anything dumber than what I'm about to do. You may wanna plug your ears..."

Jack quickly drew his weapon in the same fashion he'd done during a few IDPA matches he'd attended letting lose two rounds into the chest of the masked inmate. Occuring all at the same time; Shirley screamed at the top of her lungs, the drunkard yelled, "HOLY @#$%, DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN???!!!", and Wades police instincts kicked in, "Lay the weapon on the ground, NOW!!!" while pointing his sidearm at Jack. Brigsby threw his hand up towards Wade, "Calm down Wade, now look." He pointed to the man who was now limp on the ground, the body twitched and writhing on the ground then began to get back up, Jack pointed to the body, "LOOK! Don't you see anything weird?!" Wade looked at the body and a realization came over his face, "The guy, he's not bleeding?" Shirley looked at the bullet holes and realized what Wade just said was true, "Oh my god..." She began making a Holy Sign often seen in Catholicism though she wasn't Catholic. The drunk then said, "Well DAMN, you don't see that everyday."

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2

The group from the cells minus the drunk made their way to the front office area of the station and began to make phone calls like mad but only got an emergency broadcast dialogue stating that lines would be back up shortly. Brigsby and Wade then began making radio calls to anyone on the frequencies that the department used; only a small handful of officers responded some which reported the same things that Brigsby and Jack had seen when they were out there. Anyone they contacted they told to try to make back to the station, one conversation of which ended with the officer on the other end screaming for his life begging them to come help him, followed by pure silence.

Brigsby was about to walk out when Jack stopped him, "MIKE, stop! There's nothing you can do for them except say a prayer for them and move on. You don't even know where he was at, remember?" Mike Brigsby then had a look of rage wash over him, "You think I can sit here on my ASS and wait, doing NOTHING?! To hell with that!!! I might not be able to help him but I can, I can do... something." Jack saw that Mike was looking at something, he looked to the same direction that Brigsby was looking and then saw what appeared to be a mob outside, moving slowly towards the station. Shirley asked, "Who are all those people?" Jack's mouth dropped open and Mike said in a hushed voice, "Sweet Jesus..."

• Like 1

Walking towards the station was a group of about 30 people. Jack kept his hand on his weapon as his training had dictated, when he felt a threat to his well being or that of others around him. Wade was watching him as he rested his hand on the Belgian branded weapon, "You know how to acquire a target for a civilian, you had special training?" Wade said to Jack to which Jack responded, "I've had a class or two, plus been a couple of competitions in my day." Wade had a slight look of relief come over him, "Well, at least if the @#$% hits the fan, I can trust you to have my back." Jack cracked a small grin, "You've got no worries there, I'll try not to let you down. Although to be honest I wish my MAG was here." Wade then had a look of confusion, "You're what man? Speak English..." Jack chuckled at the comment, "Sorry, a MAG is a Mutual Assistance Group. A couple of the guys I would be with are former military, one was special forces and the other airborne." Wade let out a lowtoned whistle, "Well I hope we find them, we could use that kind of help at this point." Just as Brigsby was about to begin moving them to the cells, "ALRIGHT, lets all head to the back right now whi..." Jack then noticed that he wasn't really getting the same feeling had earlier and cut him off, "Hang on Brigsby, there's something off, I don't think they're them."

When the group of people made it to the front door, they reached for the door handle and drew it open. The people were from the local neighborhoods that had began to get overrun with canabalistic fellow humans. One man even attested that when he shot one that it didn't go down and kept coming, "The thing, it just wouldn't stop." He had a look of the worst possible nightmare strewn all over his face. Brigsby set his hand on the mans shoulder but that only threw him into a fit to which he jumped back screaming, "DON'T TOUCH ME!!!" Wade look purplexed, "What's wrong with him?" One of the people responded with a sullen look, "That thing he shot was what used to be his wife, she was 8 months pregnant with their unborn child, she woke up to a sound at their back door and she was attack apparently..." The broken man began to weep, "She was all I had left in this world, I don't want to live anymore but I sure as @#$% don't want to be eaten either." He had the look of a man who had been broken with the one thing that can break ANY human, fear. The mans words surprised the neighbor who spoke up on his behalf and she began to shed a few tears herself, "He's a good christian man, I've never heard him curse before." Wade was taken aback by all this, "I'm sorry for your loss sir." The broken man then broke out into a teary rage, "YOU'RE SORRY???!!! SORRY THAT MY WIFE AND CHILD WERE MUTILATED NOT ONCE BUT TWICE BY ME??!!" He then slumped down to the floor and began to chuckle, "Yeah, I'm sorry too..." Shirley came over to him after going to a supply closet and laid a wool blanket around the saddened mans shoulders he looked up surprised by her. Shirley knelt down hugged him without saying a word. The man began to cry out his wifes name while cursing his own existence and shouting that God had abandoned him. After venting his frustrations he quieted down, "Thank you, you're too kind." He said with a sullen look that rang the words to a almost hollow like state.

• Like 2

Jack had just realized that if these people hadn't been as he put it, 'alive', there would've been no way he could've gotten to his gear in his truck. So he took a premptive move to alocate his equipment inside and do an inventory of everything he had and possibly be ready to ditch any non-priority equipment. Jack slung the weapon to a ready position and as he was shouldering his C.H.I.E.F. pack, he saw someone out of the corner of his eye. When he saw them his body reacted on instinct and jumped back several steps. He felt an icy feeling bewing in the pit of his stomach. Sweat began to form around his forehead; he thumbed off the drop leg holsters retention break keeping his hand on the weapon. The silhouette came into the light of the stations front lot. It was a man limpin with his hand outstretched, "Por favor, ayúdame..." the man was of Hispanic descent, "Please, señor, help me.". The man was covered in what appeard to be his own blood, while the other hand that wasn't outstretched towards Jack was clasping a wound on his shoulder. Jack came to, "BRIGSBY!!!!!" he yelled, "I need your help!" Brigsby came out of the station moving as fast as his older body would let him. The two men threw the mans arms around him, forcibly dragging him upright into the station.

Before they even entered the building Brigsby was yelling, "Shirley, grab a trauma kit, hurry!" They dragged the man inside into the main office area and laid him down on the floor. Shirley came running up with a first aid kit, "This was all I could find." Brigsby saw it ripped it open and began applying gauze to the wound, "Shirley, go to the secondary supply closet, there's a trauma kit there in a red EMT pack, HURRY!" She ran off as fast as she could. Brigsby then grabbed Jacks hands, "Hold the pressure here son!" Jack without responding did as he was told and at that time Shirley came back up to them, "Here, I found it!" Brigsby then looked at her, "Now bring me a clean pitcher or bottle of water and some soap, I'm going to sterilize this wound." After several minutes of pressure held and Shirley returning, Brigsby was able to clean and sterilize the wound not to mention sew it up. Jack was shocked at the actions Brigsby was able to take and such short time, "I've taken some medical courses Mike but that was an insane job and in such little time." Brigsby smiled, "I used to be a Corpsman in the Marines, I saw just a little action in Panama during Just Cause."

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2

Jack began to assess the situation and looked at Brigsby, "Mike, we should put him in a cell where he can lay on a cot, plus he's in the way here." Brisgby nodded in agreement, then looking at the injured man, "Disculpe señor, puede moverse bajo su propio poder?(Excuse me sir, can you move under your own power?)" The tired  and wounded man wearily responded, "Si..." Jack was stunned at how fluent Brigsby was, "Just how long was your stint in Panama?" Brigsby chuckled as they lifted the man up, "I was there for the duration of the operation but then was transferred to an embassy there, apparently having a doctor who could fight was a sought after thing down there." The two men laid the wounded man down on a cell cot; even for being as tan as he was, the injured hispanic was experiencing extreme pain and was developing a fever. "Looks like the bite wound is causing an infection." Jack stared hard at the man for almost a solid minute before saying, "Mike, we need to open those bandages." Mike was now curious, "Jack, we JUST got him patched up, why would we do that?" Jack had a very stern and serious look on his face, "I have a feeling that this is just like the movies and games to an extent."

Brigsby had a unimpressed look on his face, "We're REALLY going to base this 'hunch' off of Hollywood?" Jack a little irritated at the comment, "If you have a better idea let's hear it." Brigsby shrugged with nothing better to say, they entered the cell and peeled back the bandage. The wound was already producing pus from the sewed up area and the surrounding skin was extremely red and hot to the touch. Brigsby was shocked, "This wound shouldn't even be producing pus yet!" Jack closed the bandage back up, the man grabbed Jacks hand, "Está todo bien?" Jack had a puzzled look on his face and Brigsby chimmed in, " He asked 'Is everything okay?'." Jack made his hand into an OK hand sign while giving a hollow smile, "You're going to be alright" Jack looked gravely at Brigsby. The men walked out of the cell, Jack leaned towards Brigsby whispering in his ear, "Lock the cell, I'm fairly certain now that this thing is viral." Brigsby let out a sullen grunt in agreement and nodded. He locked the cell to the feverish man. Brigsby thought, 'Never thought I'd see the day when I lock up someone who hadn't done anything wrong and was innocent...'

• Like 2