A short story...

• 2 weeks later...

Without hesitation Jack immediately made his way towards where his gear layed on a cleared off desk belonging to a detective who was probably at home this very moment unaware of the nightmare ensuing at this very moment. Jack had removed his gear before helping everyone so as to not exhaust himself, though without it, it made him feel almost naked even with his sidearm still on his side there was just something comforting about a long-gun in his mind. Brigsby made his way in pursuit of Jack, "You need to calm down son; you don't think we all have families?" Jack spun to give Mike a glare and almost spat at him, "One of my sisters is a wheel chair bound Mike, she can't even properly defend herself!" A look of shock crossed over Brigsby's face, "Your sister is crippled?" Jack just nodded without saying a word. Brigsby looked down, ran some ideas through his head. Without saying another word he walked over to where he sat his patrol carbine and a tactical vest. Brigsby began equipping everything he laid down on his desk. He inserted a fresh magazine into his Colt LE6920 which had an Aimpoint Comp M2 and charged the weapon making it hot, he flipped the selector to 'SAFE' then set the weapon down. Mike removed his Glock 22 from the duty holster dropping the mag free and racking back the slide to eject the round that was chambered, he then began to refill his pistol mag from a newly opened box of rounds sitting on the table.

Satisfied with the weapon back to its fifteen round max capacity he reholstered the Austrian pistol. He made his way back over to Jack with his carbine at the ready, "I'm coming with you Jack but I before I go, I need to delegate some orders to Wade." Jack was stunned by Brigsbys statement, "Mike, I can't let you come, you have to tend to these people!" Mike shook his head, "I'm going to put into effect that plan we all talked about." Without saying another word, Mike walked over to the group of people that had come to the station, then in a commanding and authorative but friendly tone he said, "Are there those among you whom have served in the military or a form of law enforcement?" The group of people began to look to one another, three of them raised their hands, two men and a woman; one of the men whom raised their hands was the man who had the breakdown which perturbed Brigsby a little but then noticed a fire in his eyes that wasn't there before, 'This man is out for vengeance, we don't need a loose cannon but IF he's had the training he can be an asset.' Mike looked to the broken man, "What training have you had son?" The man in a flat tonned voice and in a military fashion responded, "US Marine Corps, Operation Iraqi Freedom." That was all Mike needed to hear from the Devil Dog, "You're hired." The man had a puzzled look on his face, Brigsby then questioned the other two whom were US Air Force and a retired detective respectively.

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 2

Mike Brigsby asked what their names were; the woman, who used to be in the Air Force, responded with, "Linda, I used to be with the 435th Security Forces Squadron." Mike nodded and then looked to the detective who was probably Mike's senior as far as age goes, "What's your name?" Leaving off his usual habit of adding son knowing that the man was his senior, "James, moved here from Boston to get away from the Progressive riff raff." Brigsby then looked back to the Marine and before Mike could say anything, he responded with, "John, John Frazier." Which the fire burning in his eyes was on the verge of hate which unnerved Brigsby a little, more so than it had a few minutes ago. Brigsby looked to Wade and tossed him the keys to the Armory, Wade knew what Mike was up to, and though reluctant, complied without question since they knew it may come to this. Wade came back with two AR-15 rifles, a Remington 870 slung over one of his shoulders, and one of the short barreled shotguns slung over the opposite shoulder. He distributed them among the three that had raised their hands, the AR's were given to the former armed forces and the 870 was given to the former detective, while Wade kept the shorter riot gun for himself. Wade left the room only to come back with a box full of STANAG magazines, 5.56x45mm Hornady TAP rounds and several boxes of 'Law Enforcement' grade 00 Buckshot; Wade gave the two eight mags each and the corresponding ammo, something they were famaliar with, and the shells to the detective.

Brigsby looked to those who were now armed, "I'm going with Jack over there to secure his sisters, one of whom is wheel chair bound and can't get away like you all can. It's this reason, that I have decided to arm you because if something happens, I won't be here and I'd feel better knowing that you can at least defend yourself if anything happens." One of the people looked to him, "But what about us, why can't we be armed too?" Several people nodded in agreement, Mike then said, "Have any of you had ANY official firearms training from any sort of school or academy?" Everyone looked to each other but none raised their hands, the younger man whom spoke up a moment ago responded, "But what about HIM!" Pointing to Jack, who knew that line of question would probably come, Jack spoke up in Brigsby's place, "I have trained with and under former contractors and members of the special operations community, if you want to have a dick measuring contest, I suggest you take it elsewhere." The statement shocked the man who was Jack's senior and he sat back not saying another word. Mike shook his head more out of amusement than anything, "Do any of you have anym..." Before Brigsby could finish his statement a tremendous thud came from the front of the building. Mike, Jack, and everyone in the room whom was armed immediately threw their weapons to a shouldered position pointing towards the entrance doors. Jack and Mike looked at each other, Mike then put one finger to his lips indicating to everyone to quiet down. Jack pulled back the charging handle on his AR variant roughly one third of the way back, just to check the chamber, and the gold hue of the brass casing let him know that his weapon was indeed hot. Jack reached down to his vest and opened a pouch, he drew from a cylinder and slid the Gemtech Halo sound suppresor over the A2 birdcage flashhider, twisting it made a ratcheting sound until he was satisfied that it was ready. Jack looked to Brigsby, "I'll take point".

Jack made his way to the front door, weapon shouldered at the ready thumbing off the safety, with Brigsby right behind him. They round the corner and were about to cross into the threshhold when Jack threw his left fist into the air telling Brigsby to stop. The glass entrance door had a smear of blood across it and beyond that on the otherside of the glass stood approxmiately 15 people, one of which had fallen to the gound and was getting up in a very staggered manner. Everyone of them all had blank expressions across their faces. When they spotted Jack, they begin to moan and hiss clawing at the glass doors.

One began to slam its head into the door, the glass though wouldn't give as it was the same glass used in car dealerships in Florida, it was "Hurricane Proof" impact resistant glass because of the common occurance of tornados in the area. "That must have been the sound we heard was that one there, just about threw its whole body at the glass." Jack had said, he then looked down and noticed that door wasn't locked and only had a double sided key lock to prevent any kind of mischief, though in this particular situation could be the death of them all. "MIke, call to Wade, they know we're here already." Mike fast stepped down the hall they had just come through and halfway rounded the corner, "Wade, c'mere!" He said waving his hand in a hurried motion.

Everyone began to get nervous and unsettled. Panicked looks began to wash over all of them. The older detective stood up and said to everyone, "Look, everyone just calm down. There's probably not anything to worry about." James tried to look as calm as possible though he too was not exactly calm, there was no presidence for this. John, the Marine, stood up from the desk he was leaned against, "I'm going to go see what's happening."

Edited by whitewolf001
Guest Lowbuster
I just came across this a few hours ago. Excellent I'm hooked. I see you are looking for a publisher, here is one sold Edited by Lowbuster

Both Wade and John made their way down the hall, long-guns at the ready but pointed down as to avoid a friendly fire. As they both rounded the corner they saw the horror just beyond the glass that would await them. Johns minds eye flashed before him an image of his wife and what she had become then his instincts, which were born and tested from the fighting he had done overseas in the sandbox, kicked in immediately and without thinking he had charged his weapon and leveled it at the glass, Wade saw what was happening out of the corner of his eye and tried grabbing just behind the muzzle of the weapon to point it down but the weapon discharged, sending a bullet through the glass they had been trying to seal.

The small bullet ripped through the glass like paper hitting one on the otherside square in the forehead, dropping the creature to the ground. Wade immediately grabbed John by the collar of his shirt, "YOU IDIOT!!! You may have just killed us all!!!" At that exact moment, the one whom had been bashing its head into the glass, slammed its skull forward, which also happened to be the very same glass which John had just comprimised. The glass bellowed inward but did not fall apart as the plastic inlayers somewhat kept structural integrity intact. Jack leveled his weapon at the already destroyed glass, "Get headshots only, FIRE!" All of them standing there began to take aim on what they could discern as skulls firing what their magazines allowed for, Wade was the only one whom reloaded as his magazine capacity only allowed for four shots plus one in the chamber in his short-barreled shotgun.

Hot brass lay on the ground and the smell of burnt powder was heavy in the air the corpses all layed on the ground, one began to move as it's brain remained unscathed; Jack leveled his weapon at it, firing one round destroying what used to be a human head. Jack immediately drew out the magazine of his weapon glancing at the feedlips, he still had some rounds in it. Instead of putting it into his dump bag, which he uses to secure spent mags, he dropped it into his cargo pocket. Jack wanted to assign blame to John for his foul up but there was no time, they had just advertised to the area that this place was a all you can eat buffet, "Mike, do you have ANY vehicles here that can assume the capacity for this many people? We need to get out of here, NOW."

Edited by whitewolf001
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One week later...

Jack rounded the corner of a building that was the home of a flower shop and he almost lost his footing as the ground was slick from the rain that had drenched everything. There was a large older military truck just sitting in the middle of the road, Jack tried not to pay it much mind but the allure of a transport truck did more than pique his curiosity though he knew if the thing didn't start it would become his grave. He glanced once again over his shoulder to see that the creatures chasing him had all rounded the corner of the building, he then picked up his pace moving somewhat faster. Instead he bypassed the large vehicle, once he got by the truck, moving in front of it. 

Once he cleared the passenger side he heard a voice call out, "Open up on em!!!" Jack then heard numerous thundering roars of firearms expelling high speed death. He stopped dead in his tracks and spun around to see four people in the back of the truck. He was in awe, it was like something out of a movie, he was almost on the verge of tears for how overjoyed he was to his rescuers. Jack thought to himself, 'Angels on high...'. The one who called out the commands then spoke to Jack without facing him, "Long time no see brotha." When the man turned around Jack couldn't believe his eyes, that his savior was his friend of many years Jeb, standing there holding a smoking PS90 with steam rising off it where water was evaporating from hitting the now super heated suppressor. The rest of the group turned around to face him, two of which were Tay and his wife. The last one brought tears to Jacks eyes he couldn't fathom who was standing before him, it was his sister of whom he had thought for dead.

Edited by whitewolf001

Three days earlier...

Jack stood at the foot of his sisters bed, looking at the her trying to understand what had transpired here. He had seen a message written on the white basement on his way in door saying 'Jack, head to RH' written with a sharpie pen. She laid there with her eyes shut, her black hair covering part of her face while the other part that was exposed looked peaceful without a care in the world. Jack looked at her crimson body, blood covered her from the neck down, several parts of her body had the meat completely removed from the structure of her body leaving only bone and sinew behind. Jacks eyes began to well up but he didn't sob, his eyes just poured tears like the rain that fell at that moment. Mike and Shirley stood behind Jack. They were both awe struck by what they had seen, the gruesome corpse that lay before them. Mike started to reach for Jack without turning to look at him Jack spoke, "Mike, don't @%&$ing touch me right now. I'm so pissed that I might hurt you..."

Before finishing he let out a blood curdling yell and threw his fist through the dry wall of his sisters room finding the wall stud on the other side, if it weren't for the carbon fiber reinforced glove he had on, his hand would be fairly mangled. He pulled his hand out and looked to down at it, "There wasn't a damned thing I could do about it, I just let her die as I played hero." Mike spoke up to him, "You were trying to help those people Jack..." Jack then cut him off, "And now they're all dead." Jack looked to his sisters corpse, "What little human that was left in me died with her." Jacks eyes no longer teared up but were bloodshot, behind that physical appearance were the eyes of a man defeated by the savagery that had become the world. Jacks heart now burned with a holy and righteous rage that made him feel almost reborn.

Edited by whitewolf001
  • 4 weeks later...

Mike didn't know what to say to him, he looked to Shirley whom just shook her head silently acknowledging the same feeling he had of not being able to console someone with any words whatsoever. The sound of glass breaking as if it was being stepped on came from the room just on the other side of the wall. Mike looked at Shirley and she had a panicked look on her face. Jack without saying a word walked out of the room past those two who watched in awe. The broken man pulled from his belt side a Ka-Bar fighting knife stopping at the door entry, he glanced back at Mike and Shirley, "This will only take a second...".

The look he had gave Mike chills and it was the same look the older officer had seen on a mans face whom had killed his wife and lover when the man caught them in his bedroom; they were the eyes of someone with nothing to lose. Jack stepped around the corner and from there all Mike could hear was a battle cry, as it was the only word to describe the sound that came from that room coupled with the sound of blade on flesh with Jack occasionally yelling, "Give her back!!!"

A few minutes had transpired but neither Mike nor Shirley wanted to see what Jack had done. Jack then yelled out, "I found her!". Mike's curiosity had gotten the better of him. Mike rounded the wall and almost vomited when he saw what happened. Jack had severed the head of the creature whilst it still tried biting at thin air to no avail. Jack had lacerated the body and mangled it to the point where it wasn't determinable as to if it was human or not. Jack held clutched to his chest the remains of what was possibly his sister. 

Shirley then walked up to him grabbing him by the straps of his tactical vest she pulled him off the ground, which surprised Mike as Jack weighed two and a half times what she did, slapped the flesh out of his hands and treated him like a child who had done something wrong by open palm hitting him across the face. With a concerned look on her face, she then embraced him as though to say that he could now mourn his sister and that it would be alright. She cried a little for him but then his tears began to pour out and he sobbed like the child she had just reduced him to. He began to fall to his knees and she followed with him, holding him the way down. Mike had even began to cry at this point as it was the saddest thing he had ever seen.

Ten minutes had gone by and Jack was finally getting to the point where he was calming down, "Thank you Shirley, a few more minutes of that and I would have gone completely insane." She smiled looking at him, "I understand but you can't let these situations overwhelm you hon." Mike looked to the two of them, "You kids ready to get this show on the road?" Jack began to perform a gear check, wiping off the majority of human matter from the blade of his KaBar onto the couch that was situated in this down stairs living room then wiping the remainder off in the pit of his arm adjacent to his elbow, with the sleeve of his jacket. He then pulled back on the charging handle partway to his ST-15 to see if the chamber was still hot, then did the same with his sidearm. Jack then grabbed all the pull straps on his gear to ensure tightness since that scuffle he just had could have loosened any of it. The man was on the brink of insanity but was brought back by the unassuming receptionist, Shirley.

Jack stepped into the laundry room and grabbed a bed-sheet, then making his way back to his sisters side he covered her body with the bed linen, "I'm sorry, you can't come with us. I don't even have time to give you a proper burial. I couldn't do anything to save you..." Tears began to run down his cheeks once again, Shirley began to step forward but was stopped by Mike whom just shook his head, "So I swear, from now on I will not leave anyone to suffer the same fate you did. I will do everything within my power to save anyone else I can. I swear to you on my soul. I hope see you again one day Mary but I doubt it as I'm probably condemned to Hell for the things I've done but I will come back to give you proper rights, that I swear. Good bye sis..." Jack looked to the other two with blood shot eyes, "Well, let's get going."

End of Chapter 3

Edited by whitewolf001

Any critiques anyone would like to make? I seriously have a bad habit of switching back and forth between past and present tense, someone on another forum informed me of that. If you haven't noticed already, I have not made one mention of them being zombies and will not for this book. If I can get to the point of a second book I might make a reference of some sort but for the time being I have no intentions of doing so. I have looked into having Amazon publish it but that seems a little sketchy, I want to look more into that before I consider it a viable option but at this point I'd like to go ahead and move forward with it. Thanks for your support everyone, it truly does mean a lot to me knowing there are people out there whom appreciate my work. ^_^

Edited by whitewolf001
  • 2 weeks later...