Your go to zombie weapons... CHOOSE!!!

You all obviously (with the exception of OS) have not been paying attention to how they kill zombies on Walking Dead!!!  WAY TO MUCH OVERKILL AROUND HERE!!!  They just stab them through the fence at the prison with a sharp stick in the head and they die!  A .22 is all you need!!! :D

You all obviously (with the exception of OS) have not been paying attention to how they kill zombies on Walking Dead!!!  WAY TO MUCH OVERKILL AROUND HERE!!!  They just stab them through the fence at the prison with a sharp stick in the head and they die!  A .22 is all you need!!! :D

OP asked about zombie weapons.  Those aren't zombies on TWD, they're walkers.  Zombies don't exist in that world. 

Really? Think back on that show and remember how many gun fights broke out this season. Now, do you REALLY wanna try to neutralize a threat with a .22LR? You might kill the threat, eventually, but I gurantee he's going to shoot back first unless he was shot in the head, which try to score a head shot under duress of a firefight EVERYTIME, not gonna happen. Nothing wrong with a .22 but in a world with no Rule of Law, one should have something with more lethality than a .22LR, just my opinion from a tactical standpoint.

• Like 1

Really? Think back on that show and remember how many gun fights broke out this season. Now, do you REALLY wanna try to neutralize a threat with a .22LR? You might kill the threat, eventually, but I gurantee he's going to shoot back first unless he was shot in the head, which try to score a head shot under duress of a firefight EVERYTIME, not gonna happen. Nothing wrong with a .22 but in a world with no Rule of Law, one should have something with more lethality than a .22LR, just my opinion from a tactical standpoint.

I wasn't planning on shooting the living.  A .22 takes care of zombies just fine.  Plus you can carry a ton of rounds for them. I will still be taking out walkers long after you all have run out of ammo.  BTW, I'm hanging with OS when the Zombie Apocalypse starts! :)

I wasn't planning on shooting the living.  A .22 takes care of zombies just fine.  Plus you can carry a ton of rounds for them. I will still be taking out walkers long after you all have run out of ammo.  BTW, I'm hanging with OS when the Zombie Apocalypse starts! :)

Why not an AR with a CMMG conversion kit? It works and you get the light weight plentiful .22 with the .223 combat capability.

In World War Z, the 10/22 was standard issue for some of the military units. See the section about the gal who had to climb a tree when surrounded. She just sat up there and kept killing them until there weren't any more so could go on her way.

Carrying lots of ammo would be much more important than the horsepower of the round.

- OS

• Like 1

You all obviously (with the exception of OS) have not been paying attention to how they kill zombies on Walking Dead!!! WAY TO MUCH OVERKILL AROUND HERE!!! They just stab them through the fence at the prison with a sharp stick in the head and they die! A .22 is all you need!!! :D

In World War Z, the 10/22 was standard issue for some of the military units. See the section about the gal who had to climb a tree when surrounded. She just sat up there and kept killing them until there weren't any more so could go on her way.

Carrying lots of ammo would be much more important than the horsepower of the round.

- OS

Unless, like I brought up earlier, there are 28 days later Rage zombies. A slow shambling walker is easy to kill with a head shot, baseball bat, etc. But if I have someone or a large group of someones coming at a dead sprint, Id rather have something that punishes them, a hard hitter. Of course with 28 days later style, an AR in 300 blk out, and a drum fed Saiga with lots of slugs and double aught buck would be the ticket

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

Unless, like I brought up earlier, there are 28 days later Rage zombies. A slow shambling walker is easy to kill with a head shot, baseball bat, etc. But if I have someone or a large group of someones coming at a dead sprint, Id rather have something that punishes them, a hard hitter. Of course with 28 days later style, an AR in 300 blk out, and a drum fed Saiga with lots of slugs and double aught buck would be the ticket

If they are fast zeds, we're doomed, period.

- OS

• Like 2

I think I'd skip the .22.  I can just see the first encounter with a walking corpse going something like it did in The Return of the Living Dead where they put a pick-axe through a cadaver's brain and it didn't kill the thing.  I remember the one, young guy saying, "You mean the movie lied?"

Well, I ain't taking any chances on the movies/TV shows being wrong.  If I make a headshot on a zombie, I prefer that it remove most of the thing's head.  Even if destroying the brain doesn't 'de-animate' the corpse it would be pretty hard to locate me - much less bite me - after I turned its head to goo with a blast of 12 gauge buckshot. 

I have said, before, that 'bugging out' would be low on my list of options so being able to carry around a bunch of ammo isn't that great a concern, for me.  If I get to the point that I don't have much ammo on me I'll just go back inside and get more.  For that reason, i would tend to lean more toward the 'horsepower' end of the equation.  Further, right now 12 gauge ammo is available and it is possible to get set up to reload 12 gauge ammo.  Good luck on finding a lifetime supply of .22LR if the undead apocalypse starts tomorrow.  Actually, I guess finding a 'lifetime' supply wouldn't be that hard - it's just that your 'lifetime' may not be all that long.

So, for my 'shelter in place' plan, my guns would be:

1. Long gun:  Short barreled 12 gauge pump with buckshot

2. Backup/handgun:  .44 Mag SBH. For slow shamblers, single action/reloading gate wouldn't be as big a concern and I am set up to reload for .44 Mag.  In a world where I am likely to never find parts, much less a gunsmith, I like the idea of having a handgun that is an absolute tank.

3. Melee:  No intention of going hand to hand with those things but would probably keep a good, stout ball-pean hammer at hand for 'just in case'.  I wouldn't want a bladed weapon because it would be too easy to get something like that stuck in a bone, skull, etc.

Now, if the 'any trauma to the brain is enough' argument proved to be true and if for some reason I had to hit the road, I still don't think I'd want to rely on .22LR.  Instead, I'd opt for .22WMR for increased ballistics and, IMO, better ammo reliability.  In that case, my choices would be:

1. Long gun:  Rossi .22WMR pump rifle.  Hey, it worked for Little Rock in Zombieland, right?  Plus that thing is just plain fun to shoot and I am pretty accurate with it using open sights.  If I am going to have to try and survive the undead apocalypse by shooting zombies in the head I might as well enjoy it, right?

2. Backup/Handgun:  .357 revolver.  In this case, the revolver would be more for dealing with potential breathing threats than for the undead - though it should pretty effectively splatter a zombie brain, too.

3. Melee:  A good, sturdy crow bar.  No, not a pry bar but a true crowbar aka very basic 'wrecking bar'.  One of about 18 inches in length.  Easy to slip through my belt for carry and good for smashing zombie skulls as well as for getting me into locked places if necessary to escape or scavenge for supplies.

Edited by JAB
I'll have to give this some thought ...

I guess I'll start with melee, my 22 oz Estwing framing hammer is what I would probably grab, not only would it be a serious weapon if needed, I would also already have the main tool required to be able to easily "board up" windows & doors in order to fortify/secure a place.

Bonus if I sharpened the shaft (which is fairly long, totally solid, and made from hardened carbon steel) that way if I needed I could use it to "lop off" zombie limbs like a machete in an emergency.

For my long-gun I'd definately grab my Mossberg 590A1 it holds 8+1 in the tube w/+4 more 00buck in the speedfeed stock, +25 more 00buck on a belt bandoleer, that is 33 rds of 00buck "immmediately on hand" + a couple ammo cans of a couple hundred more 00 buck & slugs in reserve that I'd toss in a pack.

12 gauge 00 buck is both weighty & bulky, but it's effectiveness in CQC is unquestionable & I'd be looking to put down threats as quickly & as reliably as possible.

Sidearm choice would probably be my G17, I have more magazines for it than I do for any other handgun I own (by far) .. plus I own several 33rd magazines for it as well.

My main goal would be to get my family to the river, use my small fishing boat to find a larger barge or tug to anchor in the middle of the Mississippi to use as a base of operations, to both search for other survivors & scavange for supplies.

Plenty of fresh water to drink (once purified) and plenty of fish to eat (once caught) so that takes care of the three main survival needs, safe shelter, fresh water & food.

All of those tugs are required to keep first aid supplies & emergency marine radios on board, and being anchored in the middle of the Mississippi should keep the zombies from swimming out to us, unless there are swimming zombies who are smart enough to start swimming from upstream of the boat and strong enough to swim out to the middle in that current without being swept away.

*shrug* sounds good in theory anyway.
  • Like 1
Guest Wildogre

Long arm Sub2K 9mm

Side arm, I would have tw,o both Beretta 92s all three take the same mags

Melee I would also cheat here and have two one my Randal Model 14 and the second would be my Ice Axe that has three sharpened edges.  

• 3 weeks later...

Zombie go-to weapons in a "Walking Dead" scenrio:

I would look at the matter in two views:  In a compound that "should" be secure and when out on patrol/resource gathering,

Always on me weapons: 

Folding spring-assist knife on belt

Non-folding knife in sheath.

Maybe even an additional boot knife, but I typically wear tennis shoes.

Semi-auto handgun ( I am partial to the Glock 17, using 9mm) 17 round magazine, police type magazine carriers for 2 extra magazines.

Inside compound, stationary guard position (standing watch for you Navy/Marine types)

Hopefully, there would be a crew served weapon such as M-2 .50 caliber, SAW or M-60 machine guns.  Would also want an AR-15 with basic load of ammo.  Also, a tactical style shotgun.

Roving Guard:  See above Always on me weapons:, AR-15 with basic load ammo.  Depending on distance of mission, how my knee and back feel, add a tactical shotgun

Long distance patrol/resource gathering with vehicle:  Crew mounted weapon, if available,  Weapons of Roving Guard:  double the ammo load, pack with at least 3 days food and water.

Additional:  Learn to use crossbow and other types of archery equipment. 

Compound defense:  Weapons and barriers used during Middle Ages, such as barricades, zombies too dumb to figure out how to go around.  A pike, every guard post, corner and door as last resort melee weapon. 

Guest Aces&8s

My choices of Zombie killing equipment:

1.  SKS - good round, and a good, stout wood stock to bash skulls with...  built like a tank

2.  Ruger GP-100 - also built like a tank

3.  1973 Monte Carlo (AKA "the Lead Sled") - well, it is the tank

1. My old Stevens/Savage Model 67E, 12ga pump. It only holds 4 in the tube and 1 in the chamber but its rock solid reliable and its what I've got.

2. 1911R1 .45acp and I am a good offhand instinct shooter, been practicing anyway.

3. Hand forged 'Camp Knife', 10 inch blade shaving sharp. I also have a Norlund axe I'd probably carry.

I have a bonus, my wife can shoot and I have guns, ammo and knives she can tote as well.

According to Rick Grimes, all you need is a Colt Python in .357 and an attitude.

And (on the television show, at least) a bad-ass redneck with a crossbow, a big knife, even bigger cajones and tracking skills who, once he decides you are his friend, is loyal to a fault - even to the point of being willing to ride alone, on a motorcycle, back into the midst of a full-on herd to try and save a member of the group even though that group member had recently [accidentally] shot him in the head with a rifle.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Hound

assuming i have to be on the move..
Before my recent order:
SKS w/ bayonet for melee
Beretta Px4 Storm (9mm)

Trench knife for backup melee (good skull penetration)

Once my stuff comes in:

M400 Enhanced (AR-15)

P226 Combat (9mm)

Cold Steel Boken with Trench knife as backup/finishing off.

Guest Emtdaddy1980
Its a fun little exercise to stand in the middle of the garage and analyze how many melee weapons are actually laying around. I'm currently leaning towards the fiberglass handled pick axe and 16oz craftsman claw hammer as my favorites. I also have run across articles that described trench soldiers in WW1 sharpening the edges of a shovel to employ as an effective melee weapon.