My first 9mm - input wanted

I have come late to the party but I will try to boil a few things down for you:

All of the guns on your list are good guns. Some will argue, passionately, about which is better, including models you do not have on your list (as you can see by now). Most of these folks are right but it doesn't matter one little bit! It really doesn't matter which gun I like, carry or think is the best, only what YOU think. To make a truly informed decision you should try to handle and fire each weapon that you are serious about. I tried 3 different used 9mm's at a gun store that happened to have a range. I asked if I could fire each one of them and told him I would buy 1 of them that night (I even offered to clean them when I was done with my little test). The gun I had in mind to buy because I had fired a coworkers and really liked it. was actually beat out! The best gun, FOR ME, the one I took home that night was a gun I had only read about and watched an IDPA competition and knew that several people shot so I felt confident that it was a quality weapon was the Smith and Wesson M&P, model 9L.

Some time latter, when I was looking for a .45 I wanted another M&P. After searching on Gunbroker I found a used one and bought it. I talked to the seller and he was an older gentleman who said he had listed it for a young guy he worked with. He told me that the guy had only fired about 20 rounds through it. Turned out that these guys worked at a gun store and that this "kid" loved Glocks (by the way, I agree with you, Glocks just don't feel right in my hand) but he said that the M&P did not feel right in his hand. So because he bought a guy that HIS BROTHER liked so well but he didn't I got very lucky getting a basically new gun for a cost that was below retail... all because someone listened to someone else when buying!

If you are ever interested in shooting mine just let me know.

I got the M&P 40 range and carry kit ($520otd) for bedside protection. You can buy an OEM $65 9mm barrel and factory mags and swap them in for the range. I also dropped $80 for the OEM 357sig barrel and those share the 40/357 mags.

The versatility is awesome! I just picked up the APEC DCAEK kit for some added trigger refinement. Hope to install that and shoot it this weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

All those are very nice, and it comes down to what you like best since they are all going to fit the need 100%.  From here you are into what feels best in your hand, which no one else can say, or what trigger you like best, or sight picture, or even just cosmetic look, etc.

If its for target shooting, I recommend considering a 1911 in 9mm, to get a target  friendly trigger.  If "target shooting" means practice/plinking, that is different :)   If you have not fired a single action auto, do yourself a favor and shoot one before you spend any money at all. 

Given the general shape and size of the guns you listed, also do yourself a favor and try out a CZ 75 model.

• Like 1
Going strictly off your list, I'd go with the Sig, but I'm partial to hammers, decockers, and steel. That being said, I carry an XD-s because it's light and small and shoots the big bullets.

Assuming your list is the starting point, you have a lot of other really good suggestions. I'm a CZ guy through and through. Try a CZ 75 if you like steel and a P-07 if you like plastic while you're there. Just make sure you shoot them last, so as not to spoil your experience with the others, LOL.

If you dropped your whole budget on a CZ 75 Shadow (any format, they're all spectacular), you'll probably never get regret it. I didn't. Edited by BigK

If you are able, and willing, to spend the full $1,200, in my opinion the end all 9mm is the CZ Custom Shadow Target. I have, and have owned, A LOT of 9mm, but this one is my absolute favorite and I will never part with it. 10 rounds, 10 yards, offhand is no problem to shoot a ragged hole. The fit and and finish of this CZ is second to none. My second choice would be my Springfield XD tactical. I've done quite a bit of work to mine, but the new XDm 5.25 Competition piece is sweet and very close out of the box to my custom. Here, I thought I should post the Shadow Target again just so everyone can drool.... :) 91159_logo1000_0043.jpg

No, no. It's too sexy! Edited by AdotOdot4
  • Like 1

I bought an M&P 9mm at the beginning of year, and I like it so far.  I put Ameriglo I-dot Pro sights on it, an Apex Hard sear, and stippled the backstrap.  It's fairly good to go in that set up.  The biggest problem right now is that magazines are impossible to get, and it has been that way since mid-December.  Magazines are easy to find for the other handguns on your list.  

If I didn't reload 9mm, I would strongly consider buying an M&P .40.  I see .40 ammo on the shelf at Walmart all time.  Not so much with 9mm.  

Thank you to everyone for your input so far! This thread has been far more informational and constructive than I anticipated.

I'm seeing the M&P mentioned most, or so it seems. I'm also very intrigued by the Browning Hi Power and will have to take a look. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that any ranges have that one available around here to try out.

Obviously the most recommended seem to be towards the bottom of the price range (which is fine). Besides the full steel, are there going to be noticeable quality differences with guns like the Hi Power or Sig? Would it be like going from a Kia to a AMG Mercedes or what?

Obviously the most recommended seem to be towards the bottom of the price range (which is fine). Besides the full steel, are there going to be noticeable quality differences with guns like the Hi Power or Sig? Would it be like going from a Kia to a AMG Mercedes or what?

Yes.  The fit and finish (and name) are what you're paying for.  I wouldn't say a Kia to an AMG, but if you have all five pieces laying in front of you, the tightness of the slide to frame fit, trigger feel, etc will be noticeable.

Just my opinion, but even though the M&P has been mentioned most, it is my least favorite gun out of the list.  I own one.  I also own(ed) several of the others in your list.  They are fine guns, but the trigger is stiff, and at least on mine, there is enough play in the slide to see light through. 

If you're considering a plastic gun, I can't recommend anything other than the XD, or watch out, I'm finally going to say it.... a Glock.   

I feel sorry for the OP. He had done his home work and asked for opinions of a list of guns and it seems we've just tried to convince him to buy our favorite handguns.

I hope the OP doesn't feel like that.

When I was shopping for my first quality handgun, I had a list of what I thought I wanted too. Had I thought to get more suggestions, I'd have saved my self a lot of time, frustration, and wasted cash/ammo.

I'm just saying, I think everyone is only trying to help. Who knows, the OP may try something he hadn't initially considered and find out it's his favorite too. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

I bought an M&P 9mm at the beginning of year, and I like it so far.  I put Ameriglo I-dot Pro sights on it, an Apex Hard sear, and stippled the backstrap.  It's fairly good to go in that set up.  The biggest problem right now is that magazines are impossible to get, and it has been that way since mid-December.  Magazines are easy to find for the other handguns on your list.  

If I didn't reload 9mm, I would strongly consider buying an M&P .40.  I see .40 ammo on the shelf at Walmart all time.  Not so much with 9mm.

You need to buy some .40 dies.
Guest hi im drummer03

My vote for lowest to highest in price is- Ruger SR9C,S&W M&P Compact 9mm, Glock 19 , XDM 9mm 4.25, H&K P30.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_1516.jpg.html]IMG_1516.jpg[/URL]

You do know you don't have to buy new, right? You could always go "old school". :cool:

• Like 1

Yes.  The fit and finish (and name) are what you're paying for.  I wouldn't say a Kia to an AMG, but if you have all five pieces laying in front of you, the tightness of the slide to frame fit, trigger feel, etc will be noticeable.

I am hoping I am seeing a disconnect here. The FN/Browning Hi-Power is going to be of very high quality. Maybe not custom fit quality, but still comparing a BMW to a Mercedes.

I am a Glock user, however, if I had to grab the pistol that fit and shot better it would be my Jericho (CZ clone.) It is a DA/SA, full steel pistol and it is a very accurate and light shooter. However, my Glock is what leaves the house with me on a daily basis.

So, to echo the sentiment here, if you want to broaden your search a little bit, add the Hi-Power and the CZ 75 to your search criteria.

Otherwise I have to say get the M&P if you like it and it fits you hand well.

It is just my opinion, but just like cars and guitars, you don't buy the best one out the gate to learn with, it doesn't leave you any room to move up. Buying the Sig would be a waste of a lot of features that you bluntly won't recognize or appreciate with your limited experience and could eventually make it more difficult to transition to a different pistol.

Guest DrRobert
I think the best feel in the hand I have experienced in a 9mm is a walther ppq m2. Wasn't that expensive either.

Question for you M&P guys - What's your impression of the trigger versus others? Have you done any work to yours? I went to Franklin Gun Shop last night and looked at everything on my list plus a few, including dry firing them. I didn't like the trigger at all on the M&P when compared to the XDM and others. It quickly dropped off my list based on that. Comments or thoughts?

CZ guys - I need to give them a look. Know anyone in the Nashville area that stocks them? I didn't see them last night at Franklin Gun Shop but I think CZ's site listed them as a dealer. I'll have to double check. 

I just installed the DCAEK kit this morning. I left the trigger spring out of the kit making it roughly a low 4lb pull. Using the new trigger spring would bring it up to 5.5lbs.

I'm going to try and take it out tomorrow. It feels a lot better now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The recent manufacture M&P's, like Dec 2012 on, have much improved triggers, so make sure you're lookin at new stock. The trigger breaks clean on the newer guns, and the reset is short and positive. For $40, the Apex hard sear got my trigger pull to about 4 lbs. The good thing about the M&P's trigger pull is that it is fairly easy to modify. The apex FSS is incredible... Maybe a little bit too much so. Edited by LawVol
Guest Averhoeven

Question for you M&P guys - What's your impression of the trigger versus others? Have you done any work to yours? I went to Franklin Gun Shop last night and looked at everything on my list plus a few, including dry firing them. I didn't like the trigger at all on the M&P when compared to the XDM and others. It quickly dropped off my list based on that. Comments or thoughts?

CZ guys - I need to give them a look. Know anyone in the Nashville area that stocks them? I didn't see them last night at Franklin Gun Shop but I think CZ's site listed them as a dealer. I'll have to double check. 

If trigger feel is important you really do owe it to yourself to at least hold and try a Walther PPQ. It's downside is there is some difficulty getting aftermarket parts, but what comes in the box is fantastic

Edited by Averhoeven

In regards to the M&P trigger, yup, every one I've ever handled from the factory feels like that.  So if you choose the M&P, go ahead and budget for a trigger job.  I'm not saying the rest of the stock guns (XD, Glock, etc) couldn't use a new trigger, but the M&P is my least favorite out of the box.  The good thing about the XD and the Glock is there are some nice drop-in trigger kits YOU can change out in a matter of minutes.  From what I've seen there is a little more fitting and polishing required for the M&P.

I have a Powder River Precision Ultimate Match Trigger in my XD that I can't say enough good things about.  I had to hand fit it, but it wasn't hard.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=2

CZ guys - I need to give them a look. Know anyone in the Nashville area that stocks them? I didn't see them last night at Franklin Gun Shop but I think CZ's site listed them as a dealer. I'll have to double check.  ponds.

FYI, I believe this is known a hijacking a thread...

I installed the Apex Tactical hard sear and USB (ultimate striker block) - it sear dropped the pull weight and the USB got rid of every bit of the gritty feeling. Doing this on my 9L, which I bought used and well worn, dropped the pull to 3.4 pounds and on my like new 45 4.5.

In regards to the M&P trigger, yup, every one I've ever handled from the factory feels like that.  So if you choose the M&P, go ahead and budget for a trigger job.  I'm not saying the rest of the stock guns (XD, Glock, etc) couldn't use a new trigger, but the M&P is my least favorite out of the box.  The good thing about the XD and the Glock is there are some nice drop-in trigger kits YOU can change out in a matter of minutes.  From what I've seen there is a little more fitting and polishing required for the M&P.

I have a Powder River Precision Ultimate Match Trigger in my XD that I can't say enough good things about.  I had to hand fit it, but it wasn't hard.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=2

The Apex Tactical are drop in parts... only way they could have been esier is if there was not a roll pin to remove first.