Could you end a firefight?

Guest Averhoeven

Guest Averhoeven
Purely a curiosity question:

Should you find yourself somewhere and the cops are firing at a suspect and you had an open shot (say you were pinned by a mall shooter our something) would you be allowed to take the shot?
Based on the relationships I have with some LEO, I would assume you to be putting yourself at some risk. If you were to take the shot you would be wise to get on the ground in a non-threatening position as quickly as possible.

It depends, If your life is in danger yes, by all means if you have a clear shot shoot the perp( but like others said) drop mag, clear round and lay flat on the ground and make no threatening moves.  

Say if a cop is pinned down by a crazed shooter, I'd do everything in my power to save his/her life. If I had a clear shot. May have to be treated as a suspect( drop gun, mag and clear round and be unthreatening). But I'd do it.

• Like 4
Guest Darth Maul
Unless shooter is a direct threat to me, nope. Not my responsibility, not my job and too many variables that could end up with me being viewed as the bad guy. Especially if police are already on the scene.
Guest Averhoeven

I might regret it later but if I saw a cop pinned down in trouble and I had a clear shot at the bad guy, I think I would take it.

I think ultimately that's how I feel. I got asked the question and thought it would be interesting to see what ya'lls thoughts were. I was also curious if there's actually some legal stance on this since technically you aren't the one in danger (in theory) and the cops are already there and engaged.

Probably wouldn't even attempt to intervene. 

To many variables, like what was said before. 

I mean you can always argue that you could yell at the cops you have a shot and to not fire on you, ect ect, but there can always be the argument that not all of them heard you and shot you after you took your shot. It's just a major give and take situation and there is never a right answer.

M.E.T.T.T.C. 

Just pull out your handgun carry badge and you'll be fine;-)

If they have it under control then let them have it. If they are in trouble and you can find cover that protects you from both sides, take your shot.

Like in the LA bank robbery shoot out, if I had my 7mm mag and a good spot I would take the bad guys down.

If I had a clear shot at an active shooter; I would probably take it. If the cops have him pinned down, I would not. If I saw a cop pinned down I would help him. Of course common sense and the situation apply. If at all possible I would be trying to verbally communicate with the cops. I would not put myself in a position to be shot by the cops. Keep in mind most cops have never been shot at, they won’t be calm and cool.

It’s a good thing to run through these types of scenarios in your head so you can decide what would be stupid and what would not.

If cops are involved I'm staying down. There is a better chance they're gonna hit what they're shooting at. I've said plenty of times that I fear the good guys more than the enemy because they have training. Having been shot at a bunch by cavemen I know the feeling, and I've never been paralyzed with fear. Having been drawn down on by "friendlies" on more than one occasion I can say that is an emotional event.
  • Like 2

Would you want to spend the time and money required to defend yourself after a gunfight if your if wasn't necessary to save your life or a family member?  Civil as well as criminal charges could be the result of shooting a suspect without being involved to know the facts.

Edited by tnhawk

It depends, If your life is in danger yes, by all means if you have a clear shot shoot the perp( but like others said) drop mag, clear round and lay flat on the ground and make no threatening moves.  

Say if a cop is pinned down by a crazed shooter, I'd do everything in my power to save his/her life. If I had a clear shot. May have to be treated as a suspect( drop gun, mag and clear round and be unthreatening). But I'd do it.

This^^^

It certainly depends on a lot of variables but if I carry, I carry to save and protect life, primarily my own but certainly also the lives of other innocent people (whether they are wearing a badge or not).

Would you want to spend the time and money required to defend yourself after a gunfight if your if wasn't necessary to save your life or a family member?  Civil as well as criminal charges could be the result of shooting a suspect without being involved to know the facts.

Knowing the facts?  I suppose not knowing all the facts could be a problem but how often are police involved in a gun fight and the police are the "bad guys"?

I guess the way I see it, if bullets are already flying and I'm "there" then isn't my life in danger?  I don't think it's theoretical at that point...maybe intervening isn't the smartest thing to do but I think it would be the right thing to do.

• Like 1

If I thought I could drop the bad guy to save someone else I would. Might be some consequences later, but I think I would intervene if I thought I could help.

I once saw a shootout reenacted on TV where a cop was shot and pinned down on a highway with traffic wizzing by. Don't remember if the cop survived, but always wondered if I would drive straight for the BG to save the officer if I could figure out what was happening in time to react.

One of the most famous situations involving civilians helping police was the 1966 Austin Texas Tower Shooting perpetrated by Charles Whitman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Shooting from the Tower

. . . Approximately 20 minutes after first shooting from the observation deck, Whitman began to encounter return fire from both the police and other armed citizens. One Texas Ranger used a student as spotter to help locate the sniper. At this point, Whitman chose to fire through waterspouts located on each side of the tower walls. This action largely protected him from gunfire below, but limited his range of targets. . . .

Entering the tower

. . . Three officers who responded to reports of the sniper were Ramiro Martinez, Houston McCoy and Jerry Day. Prior to advancing upon the tower, McCoy had seen his colleague Billy Speed killed. Both Martinez and Day had driven to the University of Texas after listening to radio reports. Accompanied by 40-year-old civilian Allen Crum—whom the trio encountered as they ran toward the tower—they were the first to reach the tower's observation deck. . . .

End of the massacre

. . . Martinez later credited the numerous civilian shooters for saving "many lives" by forcing Whitman to take cover; limiting his range of targets. . . .

Of course, this is Texas . . . everything's a little larger than life in Texas.

Edited by QuietDan

I think that I would do anything I could to protect myself or others (including police officers). Of course until one is in a situation we never know for certain though, do we? In my life I have done a few things that if something hadn't happened within seconds others would have been killed - at the time I thought I was doing the right thing. I still think I did... I would do it again. All the can do is what we think is right at the time.

• Like 3

I have assisted LEO in apprehension of suspects on more than one occasion.  There were no shots fired, so my stories are slightly different.  I am a citizen of my community and feel obligated to assist if called upon or needed.

• Like 2