Carrying in Atlanta; anything I need to know?

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

So I'm going to be going to a meeting next week down in Atlanta with my brother. Said meeting will be held at the Canadian Consulate at the 100 Colony Square building. Said meeting will also be taking place in the evening, concluding with a walk back to our vehicle probably after dark in a nice, deserted parking garage.

So yeah, I definitely like to carry to this thing if possible.

I just perused the relevant GA code on carrying, and the first thing I noticed was that my resource was out of date; it still said that carrying in alcohol-serving places was unlawful. So I'm not putting a whole lot of trust in that...

Anyway, my first big question is the potential legality of carrying into the Canadian consulate. I've been to a meeting there before, and there aren't any metal detectors or security or anything like that, but I don't recall if there were any signs about the place prohibiting firearms. Any thoughts on the legality of this?

I also didn't see anything in the GA code about signage prohibiting carry; do signs in GA just not carry the weight of the law at all? Anyone know?

Thanks ahead of time for any knowledge on the subject...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

I know for certain that there are no metal detectors or security at the consulate, at least not after hours when I'll be there. I went to a meeting there several months ago, and I was kind of expecting more than what I found when I got there. No one manning the front desk or anything.

I've been digging through their website, and seen nothing as of yet referring to prohibitions on carry. I guess I'll have to call them to find out for sure... hopefully that won't give someone the opportunity to make up a rule that doesn't exist. Better safe than sorry, I suppose...

Most publicly/government owned buildings in GA are off limits to include Church's and

parks. That was the way it was when I had a GA HCP. You need to remember that

most consulates and embassy's are the sovereign soil of that nation and are not subject to our laws.

I have been here about 8 years. You must tell a LEO that you are carrying if confronted.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Edited by R1100R
Guest GUTTERbOY
Most publicly/government owned buildings in GA are off limits to include Church's and parks. That was the way it was when I had a GA HCP. You need to remember that most consulates and embassy's are the sovereign soil of that nation and are not subject to our laws.

Actually, consulates and embassies are not legally considered sovereign soil.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/membassy.htm

Additionally, as best as I can tell, the building in which the consulate is housed is privately owned, rendering the "publicly owned" angle null.

Thanks for the link; checking it out now...

EDIT: Now that I've read through the info you provided, I see that the "publicly owned" clause may also apply to areas within a building which are leased to a government agency.

Edited by GUTTERbOY
Guest 270win

Signs have no legal bearing in Georgia. They do have some strange public gathering law that would seem to include concerts and sporting events. You can now legally carry in a restaurant in GA thank goodness and also parks. If you are in Atlanta, you can ride the train now with your handgun.

Guest nraforlife

I would also carry a GOOD small flashlight, Surefire comes to mind. That way you can check out the shadows before venturing into the area.

The consulate belongs to the people of Canada.

After reading an article about just borrowing a gun or taking one for hunting in Canada it appears to be a pain in the ass.

Edited by R1100R
Guest janwbrown616

Well, guys, Right before I retired from DHS/ICE, I was an assistant Attache at the US Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario. Knowing the Canadians Like I do, there is no way I would even venture to carry into that building.

Sometimes they just look for a reason to thump Americans. Don't get me wrong, individually they are great people. But, I'd leave my weapon somewhere else...

My advice is:

1) Stay out of Atlanta. It's a toilet.

Since that is not an option...

2) Consulates and Embassies are considered sovereign soil of that nation. You're in Canada when you set foot on the grounds. I don't believe you'll find any reciprocity agreement.

Leave gun at home, hotel or wherever.

Guest GUTTERbOY
2) Consulates and Embassies are considered sovereign soil of that nation. You're in Canada when you set foot on the grounds. I don't believe you'll find any reciprocity agreement.

Not to be disagreeable, but case law does not bear this out. Please see the link I posted earlier.

I shot 'em an email today asking about carry. I'm pretty sure I know what the response will be, if they even respond at all... but it beats the possible consequences of getting busted.

Guest Phantom6
Actually, consulates and embassies are not legally considered sovereign soil.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/membassy.htm

That is an interesting and illuminating article. I learned two things there.

1. The fallacy of the idea that embassies and consulates are considered sovereign soil of the sending state which is promulgated by the general rule that diplomatic missions are inviolable.
  2. Some folks really ought to change their name. See case law cite in 5th paragraph down, to wit.- "In Fagot, Rodriguez et al. v. Republic of Costa Rica, the plaintiffs, the Fagots, leased space to the Fourniers, who were general consul and vice-consul of Costa Rica..."

I can't help but believe that these people must have been teased and bullied unmercifully in school. They are probably still referred to as "just a bunch of Fagots".

Not to be disagreeable, but case law does not bear this out. Please see the link I posted earlier.

One of these days I'll read the whole thread before piping up! Can't dispute Cecil Adams. Like many other people I've had that idea in my head for years without any true knowledge of the matter.

Well, guys, Right before I retired from DHS/ICE, I was an assistant Attache at the US Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario. Knowing the Canadians Like I do, there is no way I would even venture to carry into that building.

Sometimes they just look for a reason to thump Americans. Don't get me wrong, individually they are great people. But, I'd leave my weapon somewhere else...

I would agree, and I'm from Canada. Gun control is on the rise in Canada with the stupid gun registration program and it's almost impossible to even own a handgun so I'm guessing the consulant would not like you carrying there. Btw, one of the first things I did when I got my green card was buy an XD9...man I love this country! :shrug:

Guest GUTTERbOY

Official word from the consulate is that no weapons of any kind are allowed on the premises. The guy also thanked me for being considerate enough to check first.

Now, with that said, I could probably still carry and not get caught. For that matter, I'm pretty sure it would be legal under GA code, and the worst that might happen would be that they'd bust me and tell me to GTFO. But I believe they ought to be able to permit or disallow stuff on their property as they wish, so I'll abide by their wishes.

The same guy (who arranged the meeting) also let me know that the speaker they had scheduled won't be able to make it, so I won't be going anyway. I was just going to learn about optimizing MySQL for large-scale data structures.

:shrug:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeff!
Signs have no legal bearing in Georgia. They do have some strange public gathering law that would seem to include concerts and sporting events. You can now legally carry in a restaurant in GA thank goodness and also parks. If you are in Atlanta, you can ride the train now with your handgun.

What is this law exactly? Im going to a cubs/braves game soon in ATL and i was curious of the laws as well....

Guest silly34

You must tell a LEO that you are carrying if confronted.

I was under the impression (readying Georgia Packing forums) that this was not required. You do have to advise if you are asked if carrying a weapon(s).

B.