HCP renewal turn around times?

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

..Does TN DOS have to process renewals in 90 days just like new applications.

Nope. Matter of fact, they don't "have" to do new ones in 90 days. Lisa told me personally that no permit would be issued before all checks were in, regardless of what the statute says.

Guess I should make a phone call?

Yep.

- OS
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

..Does TN DOS have to process renewals in 90 days just like new applications.

Nope. Matter of fact, they don't "have" to do new ones in 90 days. Lisa told me personally that no permit would be issued before all checks were in, regardless of what the statute says.

Guess I should make a phone call?

Yep.

- OS

I would think if they ever got sued over that they would lose as the statute is law. Oh lord please no Leonard Embodys creeping up.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

I would think if they ever got sued over that they would lose as the statute is law.

Well, there's no penalty in the statute for not doing the job, just like in most all gummit bureaucracy.

What damages would you sue for? Maybe if you got shot on the 91st day and you still didn't have your permit ....

- OS

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

I would think if they ever got sued over that they would lose as the statute is law.

Well, there's no penalty in the statute for not doing the job, just like in most all gummit bureaucracy.

What damages would you sue for? Maybe if you got shot on the 91st day and you still didn't have your permit ....

- OS

Don't know I'm not a lawyer but I'm sure a good one could find something to Sue for and win.

I renewed online far before my current permit expired and got my renewal in the mail in about 10 days. Interestingly, about a week later I got a renewal letter in the mail saying it was time for me to renew.

Guest Bonedaddy

Took Mac's advise and call'm. Got the form in the mail in two days. Didn't have to wait on the phone call, either. That almost skeered me. Just gotta fill it out and send it off. Mine don't expire till Jan. of next year, so I should be good. One question, though.....the check box with new app, dupicate or renewal has "666" beside renewal....Do they consider me Hell spawn, now.

Dang!!! Just jumped up and did a house clearin'. Sounded like someone was kickin' the kitchen door in. Turned out it was the grandson's toy microphone thing fallin' off the dryer onto the trash then the floor. Good thang I already took a dump.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

My renewed HCP arrived in the mail 8/7/13. That was a very long damn wait. 5/3/13 was when renewal application was applied for at DOS Hart Lane. I'm just glad it showed up, but damn 97 days later.

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

I waited at the Hart Ln office for well over two hours, and left with 37 people still in front of me in line..  I mailed it the next day, got the letter a week later, and my renewed permit after about another two weeks.  I won't try to do it in person again.

(At Hart Ln I even stood in line to hand back my number so that they wouldn't waste time waiting for me to come when they called it - the clerk threw it away without even looking at it.  VERY frustrating experience.)

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
The thing about Hart Ln is that you have to get there before open in order to be in & out in about 2 hours or less.

97 days is a bit to long to waitfor a renewal. I mailed mine off end of May and recieved the extension( piece of paper good for 90 days) 2 weeks later, then about a week after that I recieved the renewal permit at my new address.

So it took me about 3 weeks total.

I renewed online far before my current permit expired and got my renewal in the mail in about 10 days. Interestingly, about a week later I got a renewal letter in the mail saying it was time for me to renew.

Please provide a link for renewing online.

I'm aware of this link for new applications, but I'm not aware of one for renewals.

Edited by tartanphantom

My replacement (not renewal) took forever. I believe there's some kind of minimum time allowed for them to put out new permits so I suspect replacements and duplicates get back-burnered. It sounds like renewals get dealt with reasonably quickly though.

My replacement (not renewal) took forever. I believe there's some kind of minimum time allowed for them to put out new permits...

TCA says will be issued in 90 days. Head of permit division said regardless of that, they'll never issue permits until all background checks are received.

- OS

Is there an actual link for that anywhere on TNDOS or do you just have to know where it is?

- OS

Nope-- I couldn't find it on the DOS main page at all. I saw the link in an older post a few months ago and saved it. I think they're giving it out at many HCP classes now. :shrug:

Even so, I still haven't found a link for actual renewal-- although it may give you the option through the one I have-- I haven't gone down that road yet, as I just renewed about this time last year.

• Like 1
I renewed my permit today and my existing carry permit expires sunday.

From tn.govs website on HCP renewal:
"Permit Holders whose permit has not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application.  Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit."

Does this mean that as long as I started my renewal before my permit expired I can use the yellow copy and receipt even after my existing permit expires sunday? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

I renewed my permit today and my existing carry permit expires sunday.

From tn.govs website on HCP renewal:
"Permit Holders whose permit has not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application.  Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit."

Does this mean that as long as I started my renewal before my permit expired I can use the yellow copy and receipt even after my existing permit expires sunday? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

Correct, receipt and expired permit will serve as valid permit until new one arrives.

At least here in TN, always wondered if one couldn't run into probs in other states though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
I mailed my renewal and 50.00 usps money order off yesterday. Now the wait begins. I wanted to renew online but could not find an option to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

If all you did was a change of address you won't get a new HCP unless you request a duplicate and pay $5

I did that, except I paid like $13.  The took my old one, and gave me a photocopy of it along with a stickered receipt.  I will call them next week.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
Sent my renewal off two weeks ago via money order. Got a letter back saying I could use the letter to carry with. My permit doesn't expire until December. Surely I will have it by then.