The 6th Commandment states: Thou/You shall not kill/murder.

Guest bluecanary25

I have sinned! 

Hundreds of tagets have I killed! Some, nay, most did me no harm. 

Even some, I did restrain before ending their existance.  Can I ever be forgiven?

I know the difference between murder and killing for a reason, unfortunately many antigunners do not.

It is my hope that I never have to explain the diffence in a courtroom

Edited by bluecanary25
Check out Alvin York's wiki page, plenty of scripture quoted which calms my Christian conscience.

The Lord occasionally uses real people to combat evil, I pray He will guide me with his righteousness and clarity of thought IF need to use a weapon against another human.
  • Like 2
Jesus says to turn the other cheek. He did not resist his own murder at the hands of the Romans. I don't claim to be Jesus nor do I have the luxury of sacrificing myself or my family for the sake of conscience or sin.

Besides, it is man's interpretation of God's words to say that (all) killing is a sin, to include self defense. I'll leave that judgement to God. Man can STFU.
  • Like 3
Even after praying to The Lord, David picked up the sling and killed the giant Goliath. If the time comes that I have to choose between the life of myself or my family and a person wishing to do harm to us, I can promise you I know my decision. I'll have to see if I can find some scripture after church.

ETA: Here's only one I could find while driving

Ezekiel 33 "... 6 'But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and a sword comes and takes a person from them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require from the watchman's hand.'

I believe murder is killing unjustly. We are to preserve life. Edited by KKing
  • Like 1

What Oh Shoot said.

But for the record, unless I have been mislead, the original Hebrew used the word for "murder" not "kill". The distinction being you can kill a man and you can kill a cow. You can murder a man, but you cannot murder a cow. Even if illegal, immoral etc, killing a cow does not rise to the same level as murdering a man. Therefore, the commandments do not prohibit self-defense.

• Like 4

Ya need to decide which "laws" (....spiritual and/or man-made...) you are to follow.  In my case, i see it pretty clearly, and civilizations have seen it clearly for pretty much as long as there have been laws.  Simply stated:  "...You have the right to self defense and defense of your family ....".  As to the Commandments; there are plenty of explanations and proscriptions in the old testament (...if you are christian, jew, or curious non believer...) which explain the difference between "killing" and "murder". The bottom line: --"murder" (...killing with malice of forthought...) prohibited.  "Killing" (...accidental...) we'll discuss it.   Two different words; two different definitions; two different concepts.  I wont take the time to look 'em up, but they are there, and the casual student can find them, be he a religious man or not. 

I like Gotthegoods post above because im a great Alvin York fan too.  He wuz and continues to be one of my "heroes" (...if an old man can have heroes...); he was an pacifist after his conversion and he sorted the "killing" and "murder" dilemma out very well (...and i think correctly...).  Jesus said to Pilate: --- "My kingdom is not of this world"--- remember the Scriptures state that Jesus is God in the Flesh; and was born to die for the sins of all mankind.  We are not God; we are men made in his image.  There's a big difference.  

Christians and Jews who, as the Muslums say, "...are people of the Book...", are to be in the world and not of the world.   That means (...among other things...) that we are to make a difference for good.   Sometimes that means that we have to get a backbone and protect ourselves and others from monstrous people and nuts seeking to killl us and those in our sphere of protection.

Paul said in the New Testament:  "...As far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men....  For me, "...being at peace with all men..." means they are at peace with me (...reasonably--- name calling and hand jestures are ok--- reaching out to thrash me or reaching in the pocket for a pistol or knife, or reaching for a club aint ok...).   The "peace" is broken the instant they move to hurt me or someone in my circle of protection.   That means they are fair game. 

I hope and pray that i, in fact, can "...be at peace with all men...".  But ive already made my decision as to what needs to be done should that terrible day come when some thug or monster wont let me be at peace with them.  I firmly believe that everyone who carries a deadly weapon for protection should have this little conversation with himself and work out all the details prior to needing to make the decision in a split second.  There simply aint time for "soul searching" and ethical deliberations when you are facing a monster or mad man.

Thats how i see the Commandment thing.   Your conclusions, mileage, and understanding may vary.

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 2

There is a WORLD between kill and murder.  Which is it?    Killing --- by accident? Self defense?  In war?  To protect others? --- is very, very different from killing someone without cause (for greed, anger, or other unjustifiable reasons); that is murder.

So right off we have a translation issue. 

Edited by Jonnin

So right off we have a translation issue. 

Only if your using a certain english translation that's 400+ years old. It's very clear if you go to the original Hebrew or a newer translation where the confusion is cleared up.

Edited by -Bristol-
  • Like 1

Only if your using a certain english translation that's 400+ years old. It's very clear if you go to the original Hebrew or a newer translation where the confusion is cleared up.

Yes.  But a disconnect remains here --- if you stood outside a church on sunday morn and asked for the 10, you would likely get them in archaic english more than half the time.  They are almost always printed up in archaic as well for any sort of display.   Odd that a set of rules to live by are memorized in a way that is incomprehensible to the person doing the memorization, but that is what happens very often.

Guest Emtdaddy1980
I've struggled with this myself. I am a somewhat rare breed..........a gun owning Jehovah's Witness.
I believe it comes down to a persons own conscience in terms of weighing the need to protect your family or yourself vs possibly taking the life of another. Of course I only carry a .380, so if it came to it I might just give someone a really bad day LOL.

Leviticus law plays out the differences between murder, killing, and manslaughter plainly with punishments that reflect the distinct differences. The Hebrews had no problem understanding the issues.

In other words Original Intent. The scriptures mean what they were meant to mean in the context of their time and the principle is timeless. The same as the Constitution. If you try to redefine the original intent within the context of the time you live and neglect the "bigger" principle you loose all authority, legitimacy, and truth.

Old Testament Law shows us our flaws and inadequacy as humans and the New Testament's Grace shows us God's forgiveness despite our failures as mankind. They are not mutually exclusive but rather the fullness of the Gospel. It is only in the attempted redefinition within ones own relativity or intentions that they seem confused.

Guest Emtdaddy1980

Old Testament Law shows us our flaws and inadequacy as humans and the New Testament's Grace shows us God's forgiveness despite our failures as mankind. They are not mutually exclusive but rather the fullness of the Gospel. It is only in the attempted redefinition within ones own relativity or intentions that they seem confused.

Very nicely put.

Keep in mind the 10 commandments were a covenant between GOD and the nation of Israel. Gentiles (non Jews) were not included in this covenant. 

That is why the apostle Paul had such great success with the message of Grace to the Gentiles and did not have near the same success with the Jews. They had never been thought to keep the law.

And also keep in mind murder is not the unpardonable sin.

Edited by 45guy

The Ten Commandments are binding on the Hebrews and not Christians. If you, as a Christian wish to interpret that the commandments are binding on you (Paul only emphasized them when talking to actual members of the Hebrew community and not when speaking to Gentiles), then be aware that there are 613 (not 10) commandments or  Mitzvot in the Torah (Jewish biblical Laws). Many of those listed in Deuteronomy and Leviticus do breakdown and define what we would call "justifiable homicide" and say they are not sin.

Edited by wjh2657
Guest confidence

"Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

-Jesus

This.

The contextual use of the word "kill" was not introduced until the King James version, which was not a very good translation in this case. In the Hebrew text, the word used refers to "murder", not killing in general.

big difference.

Guest confidence

The National Black Church Initiative (NBCI), a faith-based coalition of 34,000 churches comprised of 15 denominations and 15.7 million African Americans churchgoers, calls on its membership to get rid of any weapons in their homes: "If you have a gun for protection, it is a sin and you must get rid of it. Your faith must prevail."

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO1305/S00520/nbci-calls-on-all-christians-to-get-rid-of-their-guns.htm

Guest ab28

I don't believe in the bible, but even so, it's pretty common sense that the commandment is talking about killing someone unjustly, and not war/self defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody can live their life without breaking the ten commandments. I would hate to tell you how many I've broken. Jesus came down to show us the way and to die for our sins. To show grace and forgiveness to those that follow him.