TN permit / moved in from Ohio

I came to TN in June '12. I got my HCP by producing my OH License To Carry A Concealed Handgun, and paying, I think, $50. I don't recall that I had to produce my training certificate. All in all, pretty smooth, and pretty painless. My faint recollection is that it was treated as a renewal.

Now I see this on the state website

1.  If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.
    1. All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted.
    2. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.
    3. A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

I take this to mean that now all persons obtaining a permit in TN must take the training as if they are being licensed for the first time, regardless of whether they have had licenses issued by other states. If this is the case, it is apparently a change from the past, as I definitely did not have to do so last year.

I have attempted to call the Handgun Carry Permit office in Nashville, but have not been able to reach anyone who could answer any questions.

Does anyone know if the law changed since last summer ??? My wife is here now, after retiring in March in OH, and is PO'd if she is going to have to undergo a full class again to get her HCP, as she already has her OLTCACH.

Edited by docachna
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grubbah

It looks like it changed very recently. Lisa Knight's contact info is on that main page, I've never had to contact her but I've heard that she is very good about getting answers.  I dont recall anything being posted about policy changes, but apparently something did change.

I checked the wayback machine and as recently as april 11th of this year the site had all of the old requirements listed.  Ohio was indeed treated as a renewal basically, $50 fee and proof of residency. 

• 2 weeks later...

This part is not in "the law", but only the TN Dept of Safety policy, which they can apparently tweak as they see fit.

- OS

Here is the response from Lisa Knight:

It really never was in the law.  It doesn’t change our reciprocity agreement.  The Director has reviewed the requirements from Ohio and determined that they are not substantial similar. 

Still trying to get info for the Director, so I can find out what "substantial similarities" no longer exist. My wife doesn't mind having to spend the range time, but the extra money is a pain. I'm sure revenue had nothing to do with this decision.... :x:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Smitty

I'm confused like docachna is about this stuff as well.  I must recently moved back to TN (lived in TN all of my life until last year and had a TN HCP for about 5 years  prior to my move) from Missouri, and I have a HCP from Missouri.  Do I have to take the class and get fingerprinted and the whole nine yards again, or can I just fill out the application and pay the fee as if it were a renewal?  Missouri makes you qualify with a revolver and a semi-automatic handguns for the shooting tests plus the traditional lecture class on firearms laws.  I called the Dept. of Safety today but no one picked up the phone.  Thanks for any clarifications!  :) 

I'm confused like docachna is about this stuff as well.  I must recently moved back to TN (lived in TN all of my life until last year and had a TN HCP for about 5 years  prior to my move) from Missouri, and I have a HCP from Missouri.  Do I have to take the class and get fingerprinted and the whole nine yards again, or can I just fill out the application and pay the fee as if it were a renewal?  Missouri makes you qualify with a revolver and a semi-automatic handguns for the shooting tests plus the traditional lecture class on firearms laws.  I called the Dept. of Safety today but no one picked up the phone.  Thanks for any clarifications!  :)

Info on TNDOS site now says everybody must take class, be fingerprinted, and pay the full $115. They've ceased the various breaks for permit holders from various other states.

"All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted."

- OS