Another reason why I hate Academy Sports

BigK

Guest johnwhite

If I looked close to 21 I would say card me.

But trifocals. Gray hair, what little that's there. Wrinkles and a tool shed under construction, no way.

If asked, I say "Ah, checking out the younger guys?"

Honestly this is why I keep my id in a front sleeve on my wallet.  The wallets out so it's no issue to just flip it up, 99% of the time they don't even check it, they just glance up and say ok.  Also if you don't want to get carded pay cash.

Guest AmericanWorkMule
Wow. This is coming from the jackbooted Ohio LE dude that wants to unconstitutionally detain law abiding citizens for their ID so they can prove to him they aren't doing anything illegal. Why? Because it'd make his job easier.

My opinion on this? It is not required by law. I will not show it just to satisfy someones needs. They need not ask for my phone number either. Just like the little country store up the road. Brenda is the manager and has known me at that store for the last 15 years. Everytime I walk in there for a beer or a pack of smokes for the old lady, I get carded. She says it's the law. Well guess what? Card me one more time, and my business goes to the BP where they don't card me because I'm a customer. Now who wins or loses? Just like Academy, you play you pay!

Dave S

My opinion on this? It is not required by law. I will not show it just to satisfy someones needs. They need not ask for my phone number either. Just like the little country store up the road. Brenda is the manager and has known me at that store for the last 15 years. Everytime I walk in there for a beer or a pack of smokes for the old lady, I get carded. She says it's the law. Well guess what? Card me one more time, and my business goes to the BP where they don't card me because I'm a customer. Now who wins or loses? Just like Academy, you play you pay!

Dave S

This coming from a guy who posted in another thread that you should just give the police your ID even though it is not required by law.

As a retail store manager I can tell you why you are asked for this info:
ID: Simply to make sure you are old enough to purchase the item. Take note that very rarely is any info transferred into the computer. So stop being a jerk to the poor girl that is just doing her job. That bluing kit has a chemical that some kid has killed themselves and the poor excuse for a parent sued some company somewhere and won. So now to limit liability you DOB is asked for. Don't like it, thank a sleazy lawyer.

Zip code: This one baffles me when people refuse. It is used so the store knows where it's customer base is and can spend ad dollars wisely as well as determine if they need to open a store in a given area. Somehow people think they can be tracked by this info?!?!

Phone number: For the same reasons as getting a zip code. Although I do understand refusing this one.

I really don't understand why people want to give a poor $8/hr cashier a hard time over this stuff. If you want to effect change write a letter to the corp office policing disagreeing with the policy. It is much more effective. Please leave the store personnel out of it as they can't effect change and usually have by little input in the policy anyway. Also if you do write to the corp office and mention the problem is with the store personnel; guess what, it will get pushed back down to the store and your letter will do no good to effect change in the policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1
Guest Emtdaddy1980

Wow. This is coming from the jackbooted Ohio LE dude that wants to unconstitutionally detain law abiding citizens for their ID so they can prove to him they aren't doing anything illegal. Why? Because it'd make his job easier.

You beat me to it.

I don't give out my phone number in stores  I pay that bill and it is for my convenience.  I don't give the zip code.  I don't care how a store spends their advertising dollars,not my problem.  

When I buy cigs some stores ask for a birthdate, some don't. Because I am a rebel I always lie and give the wrong date.  I pretty much only buy beer at the Breadbox store by the house and they don't ask for my ID but I always have it in hand anyway.  Like the manager said one day " you haven't gotten any younger since I first saw it", I now use that line on regular customers at the liquor store who repeatedly try to show me ID.

If I deem a store does not legally need my ID for a purchase I simply and kindly tell the cashier that they don't need it.

and IIRC it is illegal to ask for ID to verify the owner of a credit card.  Heck at most stores nowdays the cashier never even handles the card.

Guest TankerHC

They always ask for a zip code and a phone number. Every time. I just make both of them up. Never been carded though, except for a Firearms p[purchase of course.

Guest Keal G Seo

ID: Simply to make sure you are old enough to purchase the item. Take note that very rarely is any info transferred into the computer. So stop being a jerk to the poor girl that is just doing her job. That bluing kit has a chemical that some kid has killed themselves and the poor excuse for a parent sued some company somewhere and won. So now to limit liability you DOB is asked for. Don't like it, thank a sleazy lawyer.

Zip code: This one baffles me when people refuse. It is used so the store knows where it's customer base is and can spend ad dollars wisely as well as determine if they need to open a store in a given area. Somehow people think they can be tracked by this info?!?!

Phone number: For the same reasons as getting a zip code. Although I do understand refusing this one.

Many times that is not all it is for.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100569424

Here is a recent story for instance. In case you don't want to read it here is the short version: When you pay with plastic the store gets your name, card number and expiration date. Pretty basic info, but your name combined with your zip code can be used to locate you. This results in direct marketing, a good example of which is filling your mailbox with junk. But not only for that company since it is common practice to sell your information to data brokers (mailing lists). Two states have already outlawed it calling it identifying information.

As we have said, we don't bother with the $8/hour cashier. We just eat up a few minutes of the managers time...just enough to make the point. In turn if that manager gets tired of coming to the register every time someone is asked for ID/Zip/Phone or whatever they eventually complain to their higher ups. Basically, you ask me for unnecessary info and I am going to cost your company a couple of bucks by tying up the register, the clerk, the manager and hopefully eventually the district manager when they have to listen to the store manager. We don't do it in a rude or mean way, just get them where we can waste their clocked in time.

Don't want to call anyone out and get them in trouble but a good example is a store in Newport that asks for your zip code. I was shopping there the other day and was asked for my zip code. I kindly told the cashier "I'd prefer not." when asked. She keyed in, I assume, a bunch of zeros or the local zip. I am willing to bet that this is because the manager has told them to do it instead of refusing service or eating up his time to come to the register.