Body Found

Yesterday, while my Son, daughter in Law and 4 grand children were fishing a small bay down stream of paris Landing, the current in Kentucky Lake washed this body up where the kids were fishing. My son has always feared finding a body while out hunting and fishing, and yesterday that grusome fear came true. He and my Grandkids are traumatized big time!

Here's what was in todays paper:

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20130513/NEWS01/305130009/Clarksville-woman-jumps-from-Paris-Landing-bridge-found-dead

Dave S

Yikes!  Way to ruin a perfectly good day of fishing.

Sorry to hear about that.

My little grandkids don't want to ever fish there again. My kids normally camp there every year, but said it will take some time before they ever go back.

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

My little grandkids don't want to ever fish there again. My kids normally camp there every year, bust said it will take some time before they ever go back.

Dave S

Man, that sucks.  There are few enough places accessible to the public for bank fishing, camping, etc. left as it is without having one of them ruined for your kids and grandkids by something like this.

Man, that sucks.  There are few enough places accessible to the public for bank fishing, camping, etc. left as it is without having one of them ruined for your kids and grandkids by something like this.

I know, and the little beach area they like "backwoods" camping, is ruined to them now. Hopefully they get over it soon and move on with their lives.

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

It's horrible all the way around!!! Mostly for the kids but, as you said, your son has worried about it before it even happened. I have had to deal with my share of "hauling um out" its hell - there is nothing good about it (except MAYBE for the person who went-on... they don't have to deal with anything now).

Sorry to hear that. That's brutal on anyone, especially kids. Best of luck dealing with the situation. Hopefully they'll understand and overcome it and not want to give up on something they enjoy because of this. 

Sorry, Dave.  We all want to shield our loved ones, especially the young and innocent, from the bad things out there.  I had my kid with me when we ran up on an accident scene -- one of the first ones there.  I told him to stay in the truck, but you know kids ... ... ... anyway, he saw stuff that he didn't need to see.  We ended up having to stay around until a med evac chopper left the scene, so we had plenty of time to talk.  Don't know if this will help, but after we talked a while about the "bad" things, I tried to steer the conversation around to all the people who came to help.  You know, see the "good" even in the "bad."

There are always "helpers."  Seemed to do him some good at the time, but as he ended up in fire (like me -- my fault, his mama says) and ems (even worse, as far as seeing "bad" stuff), that may have done more harm than good.  He's turned out to be a good medic.  I've worked with him, and he's proficient, but even more important in my opinion, he's compassionate with the patients and their families.  Seems he's turned into one of those "helpers," and while he'll never get rich doing it, there are a lot of rewards to offset the emotional trauma that he experiences.

Don't know if that rambling story is worth anything, but maybe one of your grandkids will work in mental health and prevent someone else from going through what they have.  I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 3
Hate that this happened to you. It seems folks never get to enjoy good days as much as they used to and when they do, this happens. While I was checking out the article I noticed a few other headlines..... Sad times. I hope everyone recovers.

That's a good story safeandsecure

That's a good story safeandsecure

I can't take credit for the "helpers" idea; got that from a man older and far wiser than I am.  I can only take credit for paying attention and remembering it when I needed it.  Heard my LT giving that advice to a couple of kids at a working structure many years ago.  Still miss you, Harold.

I recently retired from the fire dept. as a Lt. FF/EMT and currently work in LE. I have talked to the kids, and things seem to be getting somewhat better. Thanks for all the advice.

Dave S

I recently retired from the fire dept. as a Lt. FF/EMT and currently work in LE.

Dave S

Dave, that right there is like the trifecta -- -- know you handled it great.  It's hard where adults are concerned; kids ... ... that's worse.

'Preciate you, Brother.

Dave, that right there is like the trifecta -- -- know you handled it great.  It's hard where adults are concerned; kids ... ... that's worse.

'Preciate you, Brother.

Thank You. I gave them the best counseling I could from experience. They're dealing with it day to day. My concern right now is the grand babies. They will come along though. I'm going to take them fishing this week, just to another spot. I want them to feel it's OK to fish with no problems. Now that I said that, someone else will jump. Heck we've had 2 or 3 bodies recovered since the weekend as it is...sheez.

Dave S