Couple of greenhorns looking for info.

A buddy and I are planning on going up to Catoosa WMA this week to try see if we can bag a few tree rats. Problem is we've never been hunting on public land, so we don't really know where to go, where to park or what protocol to follow. Which the reason we waited until the spring season to do this. I've read up on the twra website, but couldn't find much info past the maps.

Any help, pointers, and info would greatly be appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what little hunting I've done on WMA property, I've never had a problem parking where other hunters have, normally it's fairly obvious, a side road here or there. Never, ever-never go driving down a fire road though unless it's clearly marked as such. Around here they have a folding plastic post that indicates roads to stay off of. You can walk down them, just don't drive.

Find a good grove of hardwoods and hunt them early and late. Look for nests in trees and wait them out. Squirrels will be feeding on the ground on their nuts from last year and mushrooms. They will not be feeding in the trees. Have plenty of shot shells, bug spray and WMA small game permits. Good luck and keep us posted on your hunt!

Dave S

Thanks Dave!  We didn't even know about he WMA permits, we're using .22lr and it's my first time hunting in 10+ yrs and his first time ever.  So I'm not expecting to limit out, but do hope to have some fun.

I love hunting them with a .22 also. Shooting them out of the trees with all the leaves is a good challenge. Might have to wait and get them coming down the tree trunk. If you want good numbers of squirrels, use a shotty. Hunt around/near water and your chances of getting a Fox squirrel goes up! Good Luck and post us some pics!

Dave S