How many here change their transmission fluid ?

Never, unless I've had the transmission out for some reason.

I've driven several vehicles well past 200k miles with the factory transmission fluid, with no ill effects.

The only transmission problems I've ever experienced with automatics were leaks.

I do change the engine oil according to manufacturer's recommendations.

I'm confused here. Changing the oil makes sense to you all but you don't feel it's necessary to change your transmission fluid. Why?  :squint:

It's such an inexpensive job I cannot think of a reason to skip it. 

• Like 1
Guest 556or762
I change my transmission fluid and gear oil in front/rear axles once a year which now adds up to around 10k miles used to be more. I traded my last truck in July 2011 it was an 02 Chevy 2500HD with 318k on it, I changed the fluid in the trans and axles every year and at 318k it was still running on all stock parts.
My last truck that I bought new I changed every 30k. No problem.
My current truck bought used with 120k, I ain't changing it. Too scared.
I had another used one once that the pan gasket started leaking so I changed it and it went out not long after.

I have always been told if it's changed regularly it's all good but if it's never changed for over 100k don't screw with it.

I will admit I feel like I ought to change it though because I like to maintain my stuff. It feels like i'm neglecting it.

I'm confused here. Changing the oil makes sense to you all but you don't feel it's necessary to change your transmission fluid. Why?  :squint:

It's such an inexpensive job I cannot think of a reason to skip it. 

In the engine, there is combustion, and metal to metal rubbing. Used motor oil gets dirty, and has tiny pieces of metal in it, which can score the cylinder walls, piston rings, etc.

If transmission fluid doesn't overheat, I've seen little sign that it degrades. It does get somewhat dirty, but there really isn't anything in a transmission for it to wear to any great degree.

It's probably better to change it, but a car can be driven until the entire thing wears out without changing the fluid. I do not believe the same can be said of motor oil.

My last truck that I bought new I changed every 30k. No problem.
My current truck bought used with 120k, I ain't changing it. Too scared.
I had another used one once that the pan gasket started leaking so I changed it and it went out not long after.
I have always been told if it's changed regularly it's all good but if it's never changed for over 100k don't screw with it.
I will admit I feel like I ought to change it though because I like to maintain my stuff. It feels like i'm neglecting it.

I'm with you a 100%

Dropped the pan on my 99 Ford, still had the cherry in it at 167K. Pan was full of crap and the filter definitely plugged. Pulls and shifts allot better but I'm budgeting for a new tranny now. My daughter is driving my old Corolla with 200k on it, fluid changed every 50k or so. It starts acting funny when it's time

In the engine, there is combustion, and metal to metal rubbing. Used motor oil gets dirty, and has tiny pieces of metal in it, which can score the cylinder walls, piston rings, etc.

If transmission fluid doesn't overheat, I've seen little sign that it degrades. It does get somewhat dirty, but there really isn't anything in a transmission for it to wear to any great degree.

It's probably better to change it, but a car can be driven until the entire thing wears out without changing the fluid. I do not believe the same can be said of motor oil.

There is less metal in used transmission fluid, but I assure you that it is there. The clutches and bands wear at a faster and faster rate as the fluid begins to wear. Most transmission fluid is "worn" as chemical friction modifying compounds are slowly broken down. This can be drastically accelerated by over heating the fluid or allowing contaminants to build up in it.

Guest 6.8 AR

I think on a transmission, the idea behind the manufacturer saying it doesn't have to be changed as often,

is the engine is where the combustion is, a much more harsh environment, and the transmissions being made,

nowadays, are much better quality. Filtration and tolerances are much better, but there is still a need to change

it because anything with moving parts will wear out.

I don't agree with BMW on a bunch of stuff like that. Some things can last a lot longer than they recommend, and

others need to be changed more frequently.

Those flush machines used to change transmission fluid do nothing to protect the tranny until the pan is dropped

and the filter is replaced. The dealers do the flush thing until you have to buy another transmission. Once the

warranty expires, I do it myself or go to an indy.

I think it depends on how much longer you plan to drive your car. If it has 90+k miles and you may replace it in 3 years then leave it alone.

I agree if youve changed it like you should from the start then you should be ok. Doing it for the first time in an old car could be opening a can of worms. Budget for a new car or tranny before you change the tranny fluid in a high mile car. It could go out.

All my cars just fell apart at 120k miles before i had any tranny problems. Lol

If you buy the vehicle new or with very low miles I think that your best bet is to change the fluid as recommended, once it goes over the recommended interval I believe the best bet is to leave it alone.  I've had two junk yard transmissions go out on me within 6 months.  I put fresh fluid in each before installing them.  That's why I will not do junk yard transmissions anymore.   Engines, and differentials, and manual transmissions?  Change it and change it often!

Guest 6.8 AR

Who here can say their trans failed do to not changing the fluid? Everyone claims they need it done but i dont know of a personal case where the fluid killed the trans.

Not me, personally, but go visit a transmission shop. They are everywhere and always have been very busy, ever

since the introduction of the automatic transmission. There's usually a pile of broken ones around back.

I posted too quick.

I do know of a friend who asked me what might be going on with his tranny slipping. It got to the point

of not moving at all. I checked the fluid and it looked like water. I told him to first change the fluid and

see if it did anything. He did and it kept him going in that car. 90's Crown Vic. He was lucky, though.

Edited by 6.8 AR

That's cause it's Japanese !!LOL  American cars are POS !!!!

How unfortunate and how true that statement is. Except for trucks I would never consider an American vehicle. And even then I think my Toyota Tundra was the right decision. My other vehicles are a Honda, Volvo, and Yamaha. 

I'll agree with the above.  If it's old and never been changed, leave it be. 

I get the trans fluid changed in my vehicles every 50k-60k miles.  I change the oil every 5k with semi-synthetic.  And for the record, I hate automatic transmissions.  I'll take a 5 speed any day.  Clutches are MUCH cheaper and easier to replace.

True about the 5 speeds. I prefer automatic though because I spend time in traffic. And holding a clutch sucks. Even my motorcycle doesn't have a clutch to hold. It's a 5 speed but it has a paddle shifter on the left bar. It takes care of the clutch for me. Life is good. :D

I have changed it regular in my wifes Kia every 30K because it calls for it. Other than that I follow what is in the Owners manual for frequent milage.

Same here. My wife's car has a 120K bumper to bumper warranty, so I'm gonna make sure to follow instructions as not to void said warranty.

No one has given a valid reason to not change the fluid that I can see.

You may be able to get by without doing it for 200K but I'm not willing to take the chance. Your mileage my vary. ;)

A valid reason is this: Most manufactures build adaptive transmissions. The adaptive transmissions learn the driving patterns of the owner and adjust pressures to create smoother shifts. In theory a smooth shift equals less wear therefore longer fluid life. It's a good selling point to a new car buyer and also looks good in Car and Driver magazine. Fluid condition, timing, temperature, throttle, and on and on determins the shift. Changing the fluid can make the cars shift funny. If the fluid is changed have the fluid counters and adaptations cleared. This just resets the TCM and allows it to start the learning process over.

A valid reason is this: Most manufactures build adaptive transmissions. The adaptive transmissions learn the driving patterns of the owner and adjust pressures to create smoother shifts. In theory a smooth shift equals less wear therefore longer fluid life. It's a good selling point to a new car buyer and also looks good in Car and Driver magazine. Fluid condition, timing, temperature, throttle, and on and on determins the shift. Changing the fluid can make the cars shift funny. If the fluid is changed have the fluid counters and adaptations cleared. This just resets the TCM and allows it to start the learning process over.

Or just disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes and it'll reset.  But since it's adaptive and continually learning, it'll adjust itself eventually anyway.

I just changed mine today at 199,875 miles for the first time. Torque converter started to slip occasionally. Did I kill it? Who knows? I'll keep you posted on the results. It seems to be working better so far.......

I just changed mine today at 199,875 miles for the first time. Torque converter started to slip occasionally. Did I kill it? Who knows? I'll keep you posted on the results. It seems to be working better so far.......

This is where it is not a good idea to do it. At that many miles it's best to not change it from my experience. When it has not been changed that long and you do change it at high miles, you will get problems if not complete failure. TO sum it up the dirt and contaminants become "part of the transmission" . When it is flushed out it wil start to fail. Good luck and I hope it doesnt happen to you. Before I learned of this I experienced it first hand when I changed my mother-in-law's transmission fluid.  The transmission failed after I changed it. It had 130,000 miles on it. She said I was the first person to ever change it. 

Edited by tercel89