HK MP5 .22 opinions out there?

I'm on the trail for another .22 rifle. I've got a great little 10-22 target model but now I'm looking for a good plinker. Wondering if any of you guys have one, and if so, how would you rate it? Reliability, durability, ammo preferences, and over-all quality. There are dozens of options out there in the .22 market, just curious how you've liked yours. Thanks in advance.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just picked up a H&K MP5 22 about a month ago and havent really had a chance to shoot it much, but from all i can gather after watching and reading MANY reviews they are crazy reliable for rimfire even with the cheap bulk ammo, and supposedly very accurate ... all i can say from personal experience after breaking it down and cleaning it is that im very impressed with the fit and finish of it .. i almost bought a GSG 522 a couple years ago but changed my mind after fondling the gun, it just felt like a toy but the H&K MP5 22 feels like a real gun

I had the GSG522, was good for about 500 rounds and then nothing but issues, FTFeed/Fire and FTE. I would clean it, be able to shoot half a magazine, then the issues would start back. Happened with all brands of ammo, and with factory and aftermarket mags.
I got tired of it, traded for a Ruger 10/22 and some cash.

I have heard really great things about some of the other replicas though.
Got mine almost 2 years ago. Love it. Shoots great with all sorts of 22 bulk. Very fun. Only " problem" is it makes you fly through your ammo! Sturdy and well made. Really fun to shoot.
Guest ThePunisher
I got mine last August and it was my first .22lr rifle. The HK MP5 is really a great rifle and very accurate, and it's really tactical looking. Fits in a duffle gym bag or tennis bag for discreteness.
Guest Averhoeven
I agree with the others. Had mine a little over a year and its a fun, reliable shooter. Mags are expensive and hard to come by though. I bought an airsoft rail and installed a Bushnell Trs 25 red dot which has been awesome on it.

Great little gun for plinking.  However, I have to clean mine about every 500 rounds, especially when used with a can.  I got mine because I always wanted the "real deal" HK but I doubt a select fire is in my future and this was the next best plinker that resembled it.  Personally, I love Ruger 10/22's, but since you have one might suggest a bolt action 22 like a Savage.  I got a TRRSR and out of the box it is awesome.  We regularly shoot groups smaller than 1" at 100 yards with it running WOLF MT or CCI Standard Velocity.  If you are really interested in a semi auto gun only then the HK is alot of fun, but dont expect 10/22 like performance.  To me the only drawback was the frequent need for cleaning and the break down process.  It's not difficult by any means, but it does require a few tools, whereas others might just have one take down screw etc.  Hope this helps.